X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paulo
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Fitness training and diving

DAN recommends avoiding strenuous activity 24hrs before a dive.

How do people manage to keep their training up whilst diving frequently?

Personally, for me it has either been training hard and little diving or diving hard and little exercise. There must be a way to do both?
    If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!
  • JonG
    Established TDF Member
    • Apr 2017

I think I have read 10-12 hours before, and it offers some protection against DCS, think it was in DFD, will check later

Comment

• Paulo
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by JonG
      I think I have read 10-12 hours before, and it offers some protection against DCS, think it was in DFD, will check later
      So if away for a week, or someone that works in the industry, how do they exercise?

Comment

• nigel hewitt
        Established TDF Member
        • Sep 2013

I rate carrying the kit from the car, out along a pier and down a set of steps to the boat as a strenuous activity.
        Especially if the car-park is a bit distant and the dive is a bit deep.

I am more worried by dragging it back when I'm now carrying a significant gas loading.
        I think you're definitely stuck with taking it easy for at least the no-fly interval après dive but I'd like to see some justification for pre-dive.
        Helium, because I'm worth it.
        Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Comment

• Paulo
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

I think the pre dive reason is to do with hydration.

There was a radiologist on my DM course years ago. He told me at the time that weight lifting was worse than cardio due to the extra effort on muscles

Comment

• MikeF
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

now I'm not a diving doctor but I would hazard a guess that never exercising and being unfit and overweight and then diving is possibly worse than having exerted yourself a bit the day before a dive.

Though I'd be delighted to be corrected...

Comment

• Badger
              GUE Instructor
              • Jan 2013

Simon Mitchell also discussed this and associated benefits of pre dive exercise.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
              GUE Instructor

Comment

• Badger
                GUE Instructor
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Paulo
                So if away for a week, or someone that works in the industry, how do they exercise?
                Just did a week in Mexico and did 5k every morning with another 15 mins of conditioning. You just have to find the time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
                GUE Instructor

Comment

• JonG
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Apr 2017

DFD pg 79:

Aerobic exercise in advance of diving is generally considered to reduce risk if performed between 10 and 48 hours before the dive. Exercise more than 48 hours in advance has mo benefit and exercise less than 10 hors before seems to counteract any benefits by potentially creating more gas nuclei. Intense or strenuous exercise before a dive should also be avoided.

Obviously DFD is 10 years old now but I seem to recall seeing a TDI bulletin via FB this year asserting the same in terms of timings and also hypothesising the physiological change that effects the protection.

Comment

• Paulo
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

DFD pg 79:

Aerobic exercise in advance of diving is generally considered to reduce risk if performed between 10 and 48 hours before the dive. Exercise more than 48 hours in advance has mo benefit and exercise less than 10 hors before seems to counteract any benefits by potentially creating more gas nuclei. Intense or strenuous exercise before a dive should also be avoided.

Obviously DFD is 10 years old now but I seem to recall seeing a TDI bulletin via FB this year asserting the same in terms of timings and also hypothesising the physiological change that effects the protection.
                    So if diving every day for a week do not go training?

Comment

• mke
                      TDF Member
                      • Jan 2013

What is DFD?

Comment

• Paulo
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by mke
                        What is DFD?
                        Deco for divers. A book by Mark Powell
                        Last edited by Paulo; 12-01-2019, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• JonG
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Apr 2017

Deco For Divers

Comment

• Tim Digger
                            Prior Member
                            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Paulo
                            DAN recommends avoiding strenuous activity 24hrs before a dive.

How do people manage to keep their training up whilst diving frequently?

Personally, for me it has either been training hard and little diving or diving hard and little exercise. There must be a way to do both?
                            I think on available evidence you probably have it right at present for the sort of diving I believe you do. IE Keep the two activities separate, I have said before diving is something you keep fit for not something that keeps you fit. I think you could shave the predive DAN recommendation to 18 hours and likewise post dive to 18 hours. But you are talking about subjecting your body to inadequately researched areas. That said there are theories that suggest that frequent deep , 5bar+ exposures may crush bubble nuclei and make bubble formation less likely, no one knows. US Seals may have more data but they are military and their risk/benefit ratio is very different.
                            Have you been bent on what you are doing? If not keep doing it! I recently learnt I have a small PFO, comforting? but not likely to change my dive planning, sorry life planning!
                            Last edited by Tim Digger; 08-03-2020, 03:24 PM.
                            Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
                            Tim Digger

Comment

Working...