Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maldives where to go?

Hi

Please can anyone suggest which island/s for Maldives diving. My aim is to dive with mantas and sharks, as I have not had this experience before. Travel period is late May 2019 for 10 days. Resort based not liveaboard.

I have been reading about Maldives, however nothing that specifically states which areas/islands for larger creatures during the period I visit. Does anyone know this information? Big help, many thanks!
    Neil

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by solar7 View Post
    Hi

Please can anyone suggest which island/s for Maldives diving. My aim is to dive with mantas and sharks, as I have not had this experience before. Travel period is late May 2019 for 10 days. Resort based not liveaboard.

I have been reading about Maldives, however nothing that specifically states which areas/islands for larger creatures during the period I visit. Does anyone know this information? Big help, many thanks!
    Neil
    Given you have ruled out a liveaboard, you are a bit restricted. Most resort diving in the Maldives is done from dhonis (water taxi like boats), so you will be restricted as to where a resort will take its boats, how many people also want to go there etc. Typically, they'll put on several trips a day based on ability level. If you choose one that isn't filled, you'll get bumped down a level. On the plus side, most of the diving sightings are going to be based on the monsoon periods: when the monsoon is coming from the south west, the currents typically run such that the western sides of the atolls have better viz but less plankton whilst the east sides are murkier but that attracts more of the big plankton feeders. When the monsoon changes, the currents shift too. I cannot remember which times they run off the top of my head but I'm sure someone will enlighten you on that. Many resorts can get to either side, so you shouldn't need to worry too much which side you go on. Have a quick search and you should find the answers to your question. FWIW, resorts near the north or south of an atoll have access to both sides of the atolls and the deep channels that run between them, so are often a good choice, but really your choice will be more likely affected by price and facilities, as most nearly all of the resorts are "close enough".

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Done loads of liveaboards but only two islands:

Embudu was good for sharks: https://youtu.be/84L_7gach1g

Addu Atoll (Gan) was good for mantas: https://youtu.be/y1XDhzT3rhY

https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...6-Indian-Ocean

Have a great trip!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For sure you can dive here with sharks and tigers -

https://www.fuvahmulahdive.com/fuvahmulah-diving

I have had 2 holidays to this island and at tiger zoo I saw at least 5 tigers on every dive with good viewing times plus other sharks. The island is very local with local restaurants but there is not really a swimming beach or any swimming pool on the island to use. It is however good fun to rent a push bike or motorbike to explore the island.

You could combine Fuvahulah with Addu where you see the mantas. At Addu there is a resort where you can have alcohol.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Given you have ruled out a liveaboard, you are a bit restricted. Most resort diving in the Maldives is done from dhonis (water taxi like boats), so you will be restricted as to where a resort will take its boats, how many people also want to go there etc. Typically, they'll put on several trips a day based on ability level. If you choose one that isn't filled, you'll get bumped down a level. On the plus side, most of the diving sightings are going to be based on the monsoon periods: when the monsoon is coming from the south west, the currents typically run such that the western sides of the atolls have better viz but less plankton whilst the east sides are murkier but that attracts more of the big plankton feeders. When the monsoon changes, the currents shift too. I cannot remember which times they run off the top of my head but I'm sure someone will enlighten you on that. Many resorts can get to either side, so you shouldn't need to worry too much which side you go on. Have a quick search and you should find the answers to your question. FWIW, resorts near the north or south of an atoll have access to both sides of the atolls and the deep channels that run between them, so are often a good choice, but really your choice will be more likely affected by price and facilities, as most nearly all of the resorts are "close enough".
    For leopards and reef sharks go here. Amazing house reefs, walk in (Or jump) with quick access by dhonis to some channels with very fast currents One of the true "Divers Islands" in the maldives.

https://www.euro-divers.com/scuba-di...island-resort/

I saw big mantas and sharks here, poor house reef, all diving on dhonis.

http://www.cinnamonhotels.com/cinnam...ve-school.html

Its hit and miss really no matter where you go.
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    May is not a good time for mantas.for November until April, they're on the western side of the atolls, the rest they're on the eastern. Because May is a change month, they might not be able to find them or you might get lucky and see them on both sides, though you'd need a liveaboard for that.

Depending on the diving numbers on the resort, some of the smaller ones only send out one boat a couple of times a day.