X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WFO
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Lost buoyancy/low PO2/Incident pit on descent

So diving a wreck with a bit of surface chop and current, jumped off the lift and aimed for the buoy. One of my mates had jumped in right behind me and we made it to the buoy at pretty much exactly the same time. In the usual mess of waves and froth, we swung around the buoy/line in opposite directions. I think I may have ended up with the tell tale instead of the main shot as when we met on the downwind side she kicked me in the face. (no fault on her part, shit happens). This partly dislodged my mask and loop. Flooding my mask and getting me a gob full of water. (first slip down the pit?)

I stuffed the loop back in and the unit breathed ok, at this point I was confident I still had 100% O2 in the loop as is my habit of O2 flushing on the boat. Still with a mask full of water I decided to get down a couple of metres out of the surface current hopefully and sort it out there. I suspect I did not vent all the air out of my wing at this point, and I was still coughing and spluttering from the gob full of water. Mask still mostly flooded (could really have done with both hands to sort it out) I pulled down the line finning to try avoid pulling the shot out, and when I thought I was down a few metres I started adding DIL (no ADV on my unit at this point) as I couldn't see my PO2 due to the flooded mask. (second slip down the pit...?)

Due to the effort of finning/pulling down, still being a bit fooked from the gobful of water, and getting some more water through my nose at some point I must have been breathing deeply as I needed a lot of DIL in to get enough volume in the loop, plus repeated efforts to clear the mask (which needed re seating anyway so was leaking like buggery), I must have flushed out most of the "pre jump o2 flush" oxy and replaced it with 18%. (third slip, this is turning into a bad day..)

At some point, my ears told me I was going back up (wtf?) must have been that I was pulling down the shot and some divers had got off the bottom of it. (PO2 drops on ascent... fourth slip...!! I decided "sod this it's home time" and blindly blew in some oxy. A short few seconds later I'd decided "no really, sod this", quite efficiently checked the valve on the bailout, purged the BOV and switched to it. (about the only sensible decision I'd made so far...)

I let go of the shot at this point and went up like a cork. I was dumping my wing with one hand and had just started faffing for the counterlung dump with the other and was already on the surface. I filled my wing, sorted my mask out and looked at my shearwater

0.25 0.25 0.25

What the fook would that have been if I'd stayed on it for another minute breathing like a train finning down the shot and then surfaced without bailing out, or that blind squirt of oxy?

I got back on the boat and smoked fags and drank tea and had a good old think about that one.
    Dive must have lasted all of about 3 minutes to go from fun to a cluster fuck.
  • WFO
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

What did I learn from this one-

-Always know your PPO2, I've dived MCCR since day 1, I might as well have had this branded into my forehead or so I thought - but for a minute or two I didn't.
    -Don't get kicked in the face. Maybe I could have better timed my arrival at the shot?
    -Be more comfortable with your mask off/flooded. The stress of a nose full of water didn't help this situation one bit, and maybe affected my confidence for a while, until early last year when I really made the effort to do a load of (bloody miserable some of it!) cold water mask practices starting with a bucket in the sink.

-Sort your shit out on the surface? Maybe I could have looped an arm (or legs maybe?) round the shot and sorted mask out before descending. Maybe I should have a jon-line easily accessible for such events?

Comment

• WFO
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

(In an embarrassing turn of events it seems I already wrote about this fook up a couple of years ago and completely forgot about it, and a half drunk conversation with my mate prompted me to do it again. Oops. Re reading the original it seems I didn't mention the low PO2 bit, which I think means I didn't want to admit that bit at the time...)

Comment

• gobfish1
        Last of the Mohicans
        • Jan 2013

Can't beat that green button m8 . Probably saved you day
        Thanks for posting . I think I missed the first posting

I tend to stick with the 3 strike and I'm out rule
        Last edited by gobfish1; 03-01-2019, 04:07 PM.
        None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• cathal
          Established TDF Member
          • Jan 2013

Thanks a million for posting this. Very honest and very informative. I can identify with all of the above as each has happened to me and sure that’s how we all learn!
          Cheers

Comment

• gobfish1
            Last of the Mohicans
            • Jan 2013

Just wanted to add

Guru book says know your po 2
            It don't say you need to see it
            None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• matt
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

I did something equally stupid a long time ago on a Classic. At 15m there was a kerfuffle and I assisted with it rather than minding my own business. Sadly 15m is where I put my SP up, and I didn't. A bit deeper we put the tally on and a bit deeper still you need lights as it is dark. A bit deeper still it's 80m. It was on the ascent when I discovered I was narked and had made 40 mins at 80m on SP=0.7...

Nice report, always good to survive!

Cheers
              Matt.

Comment

• JonG
                Established TDF Member
                • Apr 2017

Not sure if it would have helped and you may do it already, but I have always worn my mask under the hood/hoods to minimise the risk of dislodging it and have a gag strap for the loop.

Comment

• cathal
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Jan 2013

I jumped in on a 65M solo wreck dive 2 years ago forgetting to turn on the bail out cylinder connected to my BOV. At the bottom I realized my mistake and turned on the cylinder. I tried the BOV to make sure it was working and got a large lung full of water as I forgot to purge the second stage. A lesson hard learned.
                  Last edited by cathal; 04-01-2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• WFO
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by JonG
                    Not sure if it would have helped and you may do it already, but I have always worn my mask under the hood/hoods to minimise the risk of dislodging it and have a gag strap for the loop.
                    I've tried that but it gives me a right cold head as the straps let water flush around my temples.

I've got a draeger strap now.

Comment

• jamesp
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by matt
                      I did something equally stupid a long time ago on a Classic. At 15m there was a kerfuffle and I assisted with it rather than minding my own business. Sadly 15m is where I put my SP up, and I didn't. A bit deeper we put the tally on and a bit deeper still you need lights as it is dark. A bit deeper still it's 80m. It was on the ascent when I discovered I was narked and had made 40 mins at 80m on SP=0.7...

Nice report, always good to survive!

Cheers
                      Matt.
                      Makes me feel better, I managed around 15 minutes at 40ish meters before I realised and put it on high set point.

op.

I hate drop like a rock descents from the surface, If it goes sideways on the box, it goes sideways really fast in the first 6m!

I dislodged the dil hose(stage knocked the fitting) on the classic jumping in on the Lucy, dropped from the surface, and suddenly could not breathe in. Fortunately I was still able to go +ve on the boyuancy.

Re-routed the hoses up the inside edge of the lungs after that one.

Comment

• MikeF
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Dec 2012

er I'll fess up to once doing 40 mins at 55m on 0.7 on a classic, the look of disappointment on my buddies face when I showed him the deco was priceless.

Comment

Working...