Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    The #1 rule that is taught on beginners diving courses is "don't hold your breath".

If you haven't got your head around why this is the case then you really need to, otherwise you're risking a serious injury that you will not feel happening.
    To borrow a phrase seen on another forum which relates to Boyle's law (which, as you know, is the reason for the "don't hold your breath") - Breathe Or Your Lungs Explode Stupid

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Regarded as the definition of an oxymoron, by some in more ways than one LOL
    You can be the best at anything, it doesn't make you infallible.
    Difference here is a mistake can easily cost you your life.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    Don't forget Shallow Water Blackout. Have seen what was probably this being taken away in Cozumel. Sadly DOA.
    Shallow water blackout. I googled it:
    http://www.shallowwaterblackoutpreve...how-it-happens

and must admit that I wasn't aware of it. I knew the dangers of hyperventilating and I knew that you should breathe out as you come to the surface (I did a diving course a long time ago) so thank you for making me aware.
    But what can you do? Never hold your breath and swim underwater? I will just make sure that I don't push things too far when I do.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednadnerb View Post
    Shallow water blackout. I googled it:
    http://www.shallowwaterblackoutpreve...how-it-happens

and must admit that I wasn't aware of it. I knew the dangers of hyperventilating and I knew that you should breathe out as you come to the surface (I did a diving course a long time ago) so thank you for making me aware.
    But what can you do? Never hold your breath and swim underwater? I will just make sure that I don't push things too far when I do.
    What can you do? Get someone to teach you how to do it safely.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    What can you do? Get someone to teach you how to do it safely.
    Don't think there is such thing. Even the so called professionals overcook it and die, regularly.

About the only safety is in taking a mate and doing dives one up one down style.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Don't think there is such thing. Even the so called professionals overcook it and die, regularly.

About the only safety is in taking a mate and doing dives one up one down style.
    Or learn to use an underwater air source properly, rather than winging it.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was working under the assumption that this would be one of the first things to be taught. But adding further details here risks this becoming a "Teach Yourself Freediving" thread, and a dangerous one at that.

The amount of "advice" on this that does not include "get someone to teach you how to do it properly" makes me uncomfortable, imagine if this chap kills himself and his widow points toward this thread to where he got advice, I certainly wouldn't want to be one of the ones who guided him towards eBay, however jokingly the intent.

Let's post responsibly please.

EDIT:
    Rednadnerb - You're in London, here is a Freediving club in London (or you can Google for one nearer to you)
    http://addaandv.wixsite.com/apnea

Or for SCUBA google BSAC, PADI, SDI, or GUE schools near you. (I'm sure I've missed a few training organizations)

But one thing you will find with all of these is unless you are willing to put several years into the training you will need a buddy with you whenever you go under water, so just bear that in mind before you think you can get a certificate and some equipment and jump in safely alone.
    Last edited by ManualOverride; 17-02-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Or learn to use an underwater air source properly, rather than winging it.
    I built my own rebreather and went trimix diving all self taught.
    Nothing wrong with it so long as you do adequate research and self learning.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I built my own rebreather and went trimix diving all self taught.
    Nothing wrong with it so long as you do adequate research and self learning.
    You are comparing apples with pears, unless you also taught yourself to dive as well i.e. started to dive rebreather and trimix straight from non-diver status? You already had the basics of diving knowledge and then built on that - rebreather diving and trimix are just extensions to the basics at the end of the day. As you say, there's nothing wrong per se with self teaching, but there are limitations to it which people would be wise to be aware of, and evolution's methods for instruction for those who feel they don't need to concern themselves with it are a bit brutal for most people's taste. The OP seems* to be starting from zero knowledge and appears* to be more interested in doing rather than understanding what they're about to do first - that's a very different situation.

* based purely on their posts on here.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567