Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Day trips.

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    The jars one is called the spirit tour and is by turns amazing and very depressing - nothing better than seeing something very rare jammed into a jar with 20 of its friends by some victorian weirdo - right up there with the stuffed family groups of lions
    I agree very weird, but also very interesting!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The jars one is called the spirit tour and is by turns amazing and very depressing - nothing better than seeing something very rare jammed into a jar with 20 of its friends by some victorian weirdo - right up there with the stuffed family groups of lions
    When I was in college, about a thousand years ago, our biology tutor got us into a medical museum in London. Jars and jars of pickled human bits, showing every kind of disease you could think of, plus a few you may not have wanted to think about.
    Fascinating.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Rob's been there, he really liked it and I think it's free
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Probably another trip to Avebury and surrounding sites.
    Don't know if it's covered by "surrounding sites" but Waylen Smithy and White Horse, one to consider.

If you are doing the sub museum also have a look at "Explosion - Museum of naval firepower" same year long ticket as mentioned by Rich1280

Others on my list
    Wookey Hole and Cheddar Gorge
    Fleet air arm @ Yeovilton
    Conconde @ Bristol
    Wondering if Beaulieu has changed much since my lasy visit many years ago
    If you are in the area and fancy a walk, Greenham common and the control tower

if you are into Lord of the Rings then west entry of St. Edward’s Church in Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire.

The one I keep wanting to do but never get around to is one of the walk around of the closed tube stations like Aldwych
    Last edited by AndrewR; 03-01-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    Not been but believe Chatham dock yard very good. On my list just not yet got there.

Graham
    Chatham is pretty good. Go and learn about rope making while there.
    https://thedockyard.co.uk/explore/the-victorian-ropery/

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I didn't find explosion as good, its only a couple of hours to get round it if you really dawdle, but the torpedo room is good. I never realised they recycled the cordite in the charge bags for the big guns, that was interesting. Its strange to see the development of the site, lovely old Victorian brick military structures in the middle of a modern template housing estate.

Rich

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    The Tank Museum. Don't get persuaded to do Monkey World as well on the same day, it's rubbish and you need a full day to appreciate
    the number of tanks.
    +
    Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovil
    These defo, whilst at the tank museum also do tyneham village and tyneham beach, corfe castle, durlston head, walk down to the mines at worth matravers.

If you are feeling brave go down to top beach at studland, its a nudist beach ... blindfold and gun optional

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My granddaughter age 9 did this with Grannie. I got the short straw with the younger one who was engaged by the minerals and pretty stones in one gallery. The 9 year old thought it fascinating. And in fairness to Victorian collectors a lot of stuff was not rare at the time. Though collecting in some cases helped it become so even if mostly other causes (habitat loss climate change pollution).
    Last edited by Tim Digger; 09-01-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have just spent three days in Portsmouth. The Mary Rose exhibition is stunning, one of the best I have seen. It brought to life the crew so well.
    I also bought the yearly, all in ticket so I will be back there for another few days, sometime soon. I only manged to visit HMS Warrior, HMS Victory, M-33, X-24, Holland 1 and HMS Alliance, so plenty more to see.
    Thanks for all the suggestions people.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Weald and Downland museum in the grounds of Goodwood, just outside Chichester.
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast