X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonG
    Established TDF Member
    • Apr 2017

A Heartfelt Thanks

Today marks exactly 1 year since I took my first tentative breaths from the loop, I can vividly remember the mixture of trepidation, excitement and exhilaration as I fought my way down to 6m at Capenwray, hideously over weighted, significantly task loaded, with only a meagre appreciation of what was required of me and my dated KISS which probably harks back to the late 90's early 2000's.

The first dive was with an attentive buddy on OC looking on a little bemused as I added more and more weight to finally leave the surface behind, he suffered a suit leak on that dive and bowed out before the second, I wanted more time and so began what has largely been a solo journey back to the type of diving I had been prevented from doing all those years ago.

Inevitably its been a bit of a roller coaster, initially every slight or significant nuance becomes the harbinger of a flood or co2 hit in your head, I can still feel the hot flushes of adrenaline and doom that would periodically wash over me when my breathing cycle was poor or shallow, the disappointment of finding small amounts of water in the canister, finally accepting that the heavy drogue of the original Sherwood BOV was obsolete with perishable parts that could not be sourced, the ever, increasing investment in all the "stuff" that I considered essential either for life support or comfort.

Gradually through iterations of kit configuration, education, live testing, and steady evolutions of dives my comfort and confidence grew, and I have been able to steadily build up a portfolio of dive experiences from the tunnels at Hodge, the easily accessed and seemingly benign wrecks of Mull and Oban, and deeper forays onto the historical hulks of NE Scotland with decompression obligations, limited viz and running tides.

The playing field has changed, since last I stepped on to it, there are fewer hard boats, solo divers are welcome mostly anywhere on charters, deep air is dead, re-breathers outnumber doubles and mostly everyone is as old or older than me.

As alluded to previously though it has been an almost exclusively solo affair and without a sound board alongside you experiencing similar issues or using the same gear, being there before, during and after a dive it has been challenging sometimes, and as a result I have relied on all your collective knowledge and experience to assist in making the trip, and for that I am very grateful. Some of my questions have resulted in divisive threads, some have been daft, others speculative or challenging of the accepted order. Each thread though has helped in my understanding of the process and complexities of re-breather SCUBA and 21st diving generally.

I was planning a dive today but the obligatory winter head cold had other plans...

I am still not the finished article (far from it) so bear with me for the year ahead.
  • Capt Morgan
    Where'd The Bubbles Go ....?
    • Dec 2012

Congratulations Jon. I remember my first dive with my KISS, I thought it went quite well with the main problem being lack of control of buoyancy. Once I caught on that breathing out didn't work anymore all was good 😁
    So one year in, what mods have you done?

Comment

• JonG
      Established TDF Member
      • Apr 2017

Precious few tbh Morgan, I am working on the basis that less is more, so no manifold, dil goes direct to ADV, wing and SPG. O2 is still via the original MAV but with smaller orifice and SPG on hip D ring.

BOV is offboard, and no offboard gas addition, no QC on deep bailout so hoses for BOV and 2nd stage are routed around unit and 1st stage is clipped on ring til connected to BO.

Main change is SWGF and SW HUD in place of triples.

Or did u mean qualifications......

Comment

• Capt Morgan
        • Dec 2012

I removed the manifold but ended up putting it back on again. My main mods are stainless steel case, a Narked stand and Golem BOV with Cooper hoses. I guess I forgot the Petrel and HUD I fitted Oh and the smaller orifice.
        I'm very happy with it. It dives well and has never let me down.

Comment

• JonG
          Established TDF Member
          • Apr 2017

What do you have into and out of manifold cos I do think about adding that back in, to get offboard in via MAV using a QC 6 or similar.

Comment

• Capt Morgan
            • Dec 2012

At the moment I just have it feeding the ADV and wing,
            I did have it feeding a Dil MAV but also removed that.
            I feed my BOV from my deep BO via a QC6 so that's the
            only way to add off board gas.

Comment

• cathal
              Established TDF Member
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Capt Morgan
              At the moment I just have it feeding the ADV and wing,
              I did have it feeding a Dil MAV but also removed that.
              I feed my BOV from my deep BO via a QC6 so that's the
              only way to add off board gas.
              With that smaller oriface can I ask what’s the IP of the O2 Morgan?

Cathal

Comment

• Capt Morgan
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by cathal
                With that smaller oriface can I ask what’s the IP of the O2 Morgan?

Cathal
                Sure Cathal, it's about 16bar giving a flow of 0.75lpm.

Comment

• cathal
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Jan 2013

Cheers Morgan
                  Assuming it’s the DS4, just wondering is that a standard spring in the 1st stage or is it the stronger one from Tecme?

Cheers

Comment

• Capt Morgan
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by cathal
                    Cheers Morgan
                    Assuming it’s the DS4, just wondering is that a standard spring in the 1st stage or is it the stronger one from Tecme?

Cheers
                    It's a Tecme spring.

Comment

• cathal
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Jan 2013

It's a Tecme spring.
                      👍 Tks

Comment

• Swifty
                        TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

Im guessing this is done to get over the depth limit on a normal first sage IP with a regular orifice?

Comment

• Capt Morgan
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Swifty
                          Im guessing this is done to get over the depth limit on a normal first sage IP with a regular orifice?
                          It is indeed.

Comment

• Mark Chase
                            Old but keen
                            • Dec 2012

I wrote this in 2005, you might find it amusing

Rebreather World Portal, for all things Rebreather (CCR/SCR) Diving, Forums, Pictures, Articles, Gallery

PS since writing that article I have changed my opinion on when to start CCR

IMHO the moment you consider putting on deco tanks, bin OC and go CCR
                            Last edited by Mark Chase; 03-01-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...