Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Membrane or wetsuit

Hi just a thought was wondering if you could use a membrane Drysuit on hols Cyprus .in September
    Maldives in June or get both dry and wet .Dry for home wet for hols
    Any thoughts thanks

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick07 View Post
    Hi just a thought was wondering if you could use a membrane Drysuit on hols Cyprus .in September
    Any thoughts thanks
    You will not need a drysuit in the Maldives ever unless you are planning on doing some ridiculously long dives (think several hours +). In the Maldives, I typically wear a thermal rash vest (FE Thermoclines) and a pair of board shorts, or full thermoclines. The only time I was ever cold there was after a night dive (4th dive of the day) when we surfaced and it was pouring with rain. The rain felt cold so we lurked in the water as much as possible waiting for the pick-up. A 3mm shortie or long suit should be fine. The water is typically 28-30C. Cyprus however, was cold in the water, though I didn't dive so I don't have a record of the temperature. Best guess? 24-25C. That's 5mm full suit temperature for me, so a membrane suit would be ok, though the air temperature there was extremely hot, so I'd be wary of getting cooked prior to jumping in.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick07 View Post
    Any thoughts thanks
    You can use a dry suit anywhere in any water temp BUT they are normaly heavy and costly to travel with and if the water is 25c plus, you will be uncomfortable in water and very uncomfortable kitting up

I have a Hammond ultra light dry suit thats ideal for travel. less than 2kg

http://www.hammond-drysuits.co.uk/hd...dry-suits.html

Comparatively cheep, Ideal for travel and I use it as a back up suit in the UK but I dont think reely ideal for rough wreck diveing.

I got my one MTM for a thin undersuit and id strongly recommend Neoprene kneck and wrist seals for travel as a split seal can seriously mess up your plans if overseas

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yeah, the Maldives certainly don't require a drysuit. Never been myself but when I see others there they're usually in shorts and a rash vest.

September is likely to be about the warmest time of the year in terms of water temp in Cyprus. A cheap 3mm wetsuit would probably do the job nicely. They can be had for about 50 in Decathlon. You'd end up spending that paying for extra baggage for your drysuit.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Water temperature is 28-30C at depth in the Maldives and it can be more in the shallows. I once felt uncomfortably warm and a bit sick in a 3mm shorty waiting for the boat to pick me up.
    See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including Grand Cayman, Tulum and the Philippines

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cheers wetsuit it is dived Mauritius in June in 5mm
    And was ok thanks for the advice

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cyprus in September is wetsuit territory unless you are doing long technical dives. Personally, I would be in a decent "semi-dry" and a hood, but I feel the cold.