Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aed

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As the current docs have said they are a very useful tool and the associated training is good for everyone not just divers. As has also been said they are not that useful in a drowned diver scenario, the one I was involved with the biggest issue was the inability to clear the air way and by the time appropriate gear arrived it was too late. If truthful it was too late by the time the diver was recovered. There was an anaesthetic ITU consultant present who lead the proceedings was prepared to call it and stop but local ambulance protocols said otherwise. Yes they are useable in wet conditions.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We've had one for over 6 years and not had to use it in anger. But the piece of mind it gives is immense.

We bought a training unit at the same time. Some really useful discussions during training sessions of how a dry-suited casualty is prepared for the AED whilst applying CPR.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    We've had one for over 6 years and not had to use it in anger. But the piece of mind it gives is immense.

We bought a training unit at the same time. Some really useful discussions during training sessions of how a dry-suited casualty is prepared for the AED whilst applying CPR.
    You cut it off around them with clothing shears, it helps if more than one or two people are involved as chest compressions are hard work.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    thank you all for contributing, regarding exposing the chest my club have http://www.beaversports.co.uk/Catalo...t=line-cutters a pro line cutter in the top of each O2 kit. they will easily slice through webbing or dry-suits. Even if an AED is not required getting rid of the neck seal will make rescue breaths more effective.

I do not disagree that AED's save lives but I can not find evidence of one being successfully being used on a diver in a small boat.

Graham

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That cutter looks ok , I carry a trilobite which is great but trauma shears are fantastic, they are great at cutting through everything including drysuit zips , think the aqua lung suit with the zip round the chest. Pretty cheap and worth putting in your first aid kit. I carry these in my dry suit pocket https://www.dirdirect.com/OMS-Sea-Snip.html ,trilobite on my waist strap and knife on leg. They can tend to rust but cheap to replace.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How many AED kits have a disposable razor in them?

As a company we have loads of AEDís on sites, not one so far has a disposable razor

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post

As a company we have loads of AED’s on sites, not one so far has a disposable razor

B
    Our work ones carry razors as part of the kit (fire service) doubt it comes with the AED but a worthy addition, especially for us middleaged male audience;-).

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    All the ambulance AEDs or defibs carry razors, this is a good point that I can't remember being addressed on other training. The alternative is spare pads on, spare pads off for a wax job ready for live pads. Not pretty, but it works adequately.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a company we have loads of AEDís on sites, not one so far has a disposable razor

B
    Ours do (and a towel) but it isn't part of the standard kit...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a company we have loads of AED’s on sites, not one so far has a disposable razor

B
    After years of me banging on about getting one at our work they finally relented and bought one (curious it was such hard work when the Chairman had already had two heart attacks) !
    The actual unit did not come with razors or any other accessories, we had to buy a separate kit of items containing masks, razors, scissors etc and they even bought the small child pads to go with it too.
    Last edited by DRB79; 19-12-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    All the best
    Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12