Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Is there any material difference between the (much cheaper) ATX40 and the XTX40?
    Only real difference you can change which side the hose feeds the second stage on the XTX, but you can't on the ATX. Otherwise, as Timmyg shows they're pretty much the same.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenA View Post
    I have DS4's and put a 90 degree elbow joint on the backup reg
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigofScotland View Post
    but but but but but but failure point
    I did dive with someone last year who managed to incorporate 3 90 degree elbows all of which fizzed away throughout the dive. Anyone above us was getting a free Jacuzzi.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Doesn't it depend on the type of the elbow? I've seen the variable/adjustable elbows fail pretty much catastrophically twice, which means in my head they're completely unreliable.

OTOH I have a 'simple' elbow connected to my sidemount backup regulator; basically a regulator LP connector male & female. This has been completely reliable and I've not heard of them failing, certainly not any more failures than you'd get with a second stage to LP hose connection.

What type were those fizzy jacuzzi ones?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Doesn't it depend on the type of the elbow? I've seen the variable/adjustable elbows fail pretty much catastrophically twice, which means in my head they're completely unreliable.

OTOH I have a 'simple' elbow connected to my sidemount backup regulator; basically a regulator LP connector male & female. This has been completely reliable and I've not heard of them failing, certainly not any more failures than you'd get with a second stage to LP hose connection.

What type were those fizzy jacuzzi ones?
    They were the swivel variety, not sure of the manufacturer, but we put it down to age-related reduction of coefficient of elasticity of the o-rings, but the resolution at the time was to get rid of the elbows altogether. I agree, the fixed style should be much more robust, and all joints and hoses have o-rings. (some better than others)

Not really into fluid dynamics so I will leave the flow restriction discussion to someone else

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ah, so the two I've observed leaking, plus the three you've seen leaking = five unreliable swivels. They seem to fall apart or loosen (seen both issues); one of them was on a twinset parked just outside of a mine entrance and "went off" as I climbed out. Honest guv, didn't touch it. Just shut down the valves (which should have done) and told the owner outside who said it had fallen to pieces as he fiddled with it.

The one I use is a simple 90 degree elbow. Nothing to fail except for the pretty reliable 'standard' regulator connectors.
    Last edited by Wibs; 18-12-2018 at 05:53 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Without wanting to skud myself but I've been using 90 LP swivels for years without issue, I simply keep them clean like any other bit of kit.

Barnstaple or Birmingham depending on the day of the week...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The only swivels that will still ensure that Apeks regs still pass ISO/CE/BS EN etc...testing are the Apeks ones. Aftermarket ones restrict gas flow.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk
    6m on a platform, deep on helium or exploring a cave. I'm happy being in the water.
    My pages:
    l website l Facebook l YouTube l Blogger l Google+ l Linkedin l Vimeo l

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What's the 'official' name for regulator connector terminals on the end of hoses? i.e. the type

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123