Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    a 2 quid o2 sticker and a small pot of green paint for his knob would nt go a miss,
    It has been said already to him.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Everyone makes mistakes.

Start getting concerned when they do it again after learning nothing from the first one.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This repeated behaviour was what I was highlighting

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    How many corpses bobbing about with those nannying POS poseidons on that try wipe your arse for you because they forgot to switch the oxy on?
    I don't think you can use it without the O2 being on, as it checks it, but the point is still valid, even if the example isn't. They nanny the hell out of you but people have still died using them.

Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    It was pointed out to him the inherent hazard in this but, and this is the scary part, he said that as this has happened before, he was able to diagnose the symptoms immediately i.e S.P going low when adding O2 on the surface.
    How did it get to SP in the first place?!

Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    This repeated behaviour was what I was highlighting
    It's one thing to miss something and get it wrong, but to not act on it when it is a simple fix (big labels, green insulation tape... treat him/herself and buy a green knob even!) and might make a big difference is a bit silly IMHO. It would take less time to wrap the cylinder in green tape that it would to have to turn everything off and swap cylinder out. I'm not a fan of the different fitting because it wasn't universally adopted... so I guess that makes me pretty silly for not adopting something I know would make this problem impossible for me to recreate!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    I don't think you can use it without the O2 being on, as it checks it, but the point is still valid, even if the example isn't. They nanny the hell out of you but people have still died using them.

How did it get to SP in the first place?!

It's one thing to miss something and get it wrong, but to not act on it when it is a simple fix (big labels, green insulation tape... treat him/herself and buy a green knob even!) and might make a big difference is a bit silly IMHO. It would take less time to wrap the cylinder in green tape that it would to have to turn everything off and swap cylinder out. I'm not a fan of the different fitting because it wasn't universally adopted... so I guess that makes me pretty silly for not adopting something I know would make this problem impossible for me to recreate!
    If you jump in even after they fail the start up checks, it will still go into dive mode.

There are reports of people jumping in with a low battery and the unit not booting as they know it will turn on, then having issues when there is not enough power to run it.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

XCCR e marking time scale

I'm not a fan of the different fitting because it wasn't universally adopted... so I guess that makes me pretty silly for not adopting something I know would make this problem impossible for me to recreate!
    I am a big fan of dumb controls to prevent potentially life threatening incidents like this occurring, hence I happily use the M26 pillar valves and carry an adapter for filling. It is the exact same principle in action for your loop hoses to ensure the mushroom valves work properly, different threads for the the inhale and exhale lung (for the rEvo anyways!!)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    If you jump in even after they fail the start up checks, it will still go into dive mode.

There are reports of people jumping in with a low battery and the unit not booting as they know it will turn on, then having issues when there is not enough power to run it.
    It's all pretty scary. You have to wonder what kind of "training" anyone could receive to make them think that this kind of thing was ok, or actually do any of the above. People make mistakes but this sounds more like active stupidity or recklessness.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Re the M26 thing I'm way too tight to buy half a dozen new pillar valves, new regulators, re plumb the unit (don't think you can get M26 fitting for mk2's) and new filling adapters. Roll of green sparky tape was about 30p I think and I try and avoid blending gas/filling with a hangover.

It's all pretty scary. You have to wonder what kind of "training" anyone could receive to make them think that this kind of thing was ok, or actually do any of the above. People make mistakes but this sounds more like active stupidity or recklessness.
    "training"!!
    I've had no training at all and I've never put my bottles on backwards or no batteries in the unit.

Problem is they spend a few days tickling their gurus arse crack with their credit card while getting told a load of bollocks about how good whichever over computerised plastic POS unit is at keeping them alive, don't do any research or background reading and then go into diving the thing with confidence that the unit is trying to keep them alive not trying to insidiously kill them. But it's alright they've got a blue peter badge that says x,y,z, that'll save them.

Also goes to show, the more nannying crap you put on any device, the more creative workarounds for them people will find.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Re the M26 thing I'm way too tight to buy half a dozen new pillar valves, new regulators, re plumb the unit (don't think you can get M26 fitting for mk2's) and new filling adapters. Roll of green sparky tape was about 30p I think and I try and avoid blending gas/filling with a hangover.

"training"!!
    I've had no training at all and I've never put my bottles on backwards or no batteries in the unit.

Problem is they spend a few days tickling their gurus arse crack with their credit card while getting told a load of bollocks about how good whichever over computerised plastic POS unit is at keeping them alive, don't do any research or background reading and then go into diving the thing with confidence that the unit is trying to keep them alive not trying to insidiously kill them. But it's alright they've got a blue peter badge that says x,y,z, that'll save them.

Also goes to show, the more nannying crap you put on any device, the more creative workarounds for them people will find.
    Couldn't agree more - training is only as good as the trainer and the implementation only good as the student.

I saw some try dives at Vobster a few weeks back...Yes I know they are only to try it, but one guy had placed an order and was beyond clueless. Was going on about his advanced training and all the experience he had so now was the time to go CCR.

Upon further convo he was PADI AOW, had done 70 odd dives, only 1 below 30m. His ignorance about general CCR diving was shocking considering he has one coming in a couple of weeks.

Yes i know that will sound harsh to some as he hadn't yet received any training, but that will only tell him how his CCR works and some basic drills.

I don't know maybe he would go off and learn more, it just seemed mad to me that he already considered himself pre-eminent and knew literally nothing apart from the name of the unit he just spunked 8k on!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is that because he was "advanced"?

It's amazing how little one knows in the early days and the more one dives, the more one learns and the more one realises there's so much more to learn.

That's especially the case if all the people you ever dive with are -- errm, trying to say this in the nicest possible way -- very recreational-focussed. TBH a Fundies* course would do so much more to open their eyes and improve their skills.

* other courses/coaching/training are available

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast