Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M-J-J
    TDF Member
    • Sep 2017

I feel like an a hole now, we all have to start somewhere and he can spend his money how he likes, just that something so complicated when compared to oc needs an appropriate level of base knowledge to understand and act on those complexities.

Not coming home because you just didn't know something is awful, like you say the more you learn the more you realise you don't know...and then dive accordingly!

Comment

• WFO
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by M-J-J
      I feel like an a hole now, we all have to start somewhere and he can spend his money how he likes, just that something so complicated when compared to oc needs an appropriate level of base knowledge to understand and act on those complexities.

Not coming home because you just didn't know something is awful, like you say the more you learn the more you realise you don't know...and then dive accordingly!
      Meh, don't feel bad, just make sure you point out people's ignorance (in a nice way, if you like) whenever you can.

Years ago I was very keen on motorbikes, and you'd see plenty idiots with more brass than sense going out and buying a GSXR1000 as a first bike, only the same thing, cashed up and want the best toys. Most of them survived because they only rode twice a year anyway.

Comment

• jturner
        Established TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by M-J-J

I've given up trying to understand people's rationales for things in diving. People keep asking me when I'm going to do Mod 3 because I did Mod 2 several years ago, so surely I'm ready to move on? I have no intention of doing it at the moment though, as I have no dives I want to do that are beyond 60m. They find this inexplicable.

It is worth considering that the chap could have been a PhD Physicist, and a solid understanding of gas laws and physics is extremely useful for using something like a CCR, perhaps more than having done a lot of dives in the 30m + range on single cylinder OC air. At the end of the day, we have no idea what this chap's plan was. It could be that he worked his ass off on the course and will now spend years perfecting his CCR diving techniques before going beyond 30m with it. Or he could have been a "chuck it on, it will be fine - I'm a guru don't you know" deluded fool. This is often a problem in diving - we don't know enough about the person doing the talking. I've seen people, who you'd think "oh, they'd never be able to rescue me; they're so quiet, shy and tiny", drag a 18 stone giant out of the water on short order having effected a textbook rescue on them. We have a lady who dives with us currently who had GUE Tech level buoyancy skills in her 4th pool session ie the first time she'd done a hover, it was performed to that level. I also have seen someone with 200+ dives who had zero buoyancy control and panicked when their fin fell off on the surface in about 4m of calm water. There's a whole spectrum in between of course. All we can hope is that the chap's CCR instructor brought him into the correct way of thinking and taught him everything he needed to know to use that unit safely.

People are all different, their attitudes to what they do and how much risk they want to take on is different, the way they like to portray themselves is different (after all, that chap could have been shitting himself about the CCR course and was trying to bluff it out) and the old saying "you don't know what you don't know" applies to us as well as others, and it is especially true about people's capabilities.
        The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• WFO
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

I believe it has now passed CE

Comment

• guy116694
            TDF Member
            • Sep 2013

Well just seen a post on IQ subs Facebook page the XCCR now has its CE approval

Comment

• Wibs
              Established TDF Member
              • Aug 2015

How long did it take in the end?

Comment

• cathal
                Established TDF Member
                • Jan 2013

Does anyone know was the shrimp BOV part of the CE configuration?

Comment

• guy116694
                  TDF Member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cathal
                  Does anyone know was the shrimp BOV part of the CE configuration?
                  Their Facebook post says this so I'm assuming the Shrimp is included in the CE...

Originally posted by IQSub Facebook Post
                  XCCR is finally CE certified !!!

We are proud to announce that XCCR has just received the CE certificate.
                  At the end the entire CE approval was performed at DEKRA EXAM, the notified body 0158 in Germany. XCCR has passed all tests in accordance with EN 14143:2013 with a sufficient reserve, without any need for design changes, without reservations and without limitation in use in any diving position.

Comment

• Paulo
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

If the XCCR and the JJ are both running the same electronics, how do they differ?
                    If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• cathal
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Jan 2013

The rEvo and Meg also use the same electronics (SW) but also they are different in design architecture. A bit like comparing the VW Golf, Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. Different designs but all reach the same performance objective. Obviously sales levels differ.

Comment

• topper133
                        TDF Member
                        • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Paulo
                        If the XCCR and the JJ are both running the same electronics, how do they differ?
                        The only thing they share is the Shearwater electronics, pretty much all other components are different, canister design, head design, solenoid, cell pod design, CO2 monitor and digital\analog HP sensors, different BOVs etc.

These are all different and if you see them as better\worse\different is all subjective and each to their own, both great units if you ask me.

Comment

• Wibs
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Paulo
                          One comes with a stand and lifting bar. The other falls over a lot and breaks the exposed connectors.

Comment

• topper133
                            TDF Member
                            • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Wibs
                            One comes with a stand and lifting bar. The other falls over a lot and breaks the exposed connectors.
                            Funny, I’ve never had either, and never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...