• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diverelect
    TDF Member
    • Aug 2013

XCCR e marking time scale

Hi,
    Im looking to start my CCR diving adventure sometime early next year and having looked into the various units available, have sort of narrowed it down to either a JJ or an XCCR. If I go XCCR, and spend that amount of money, then Id like to by a CE marked version rather than a pre-CE marked version (yes Im aware there may end up being no actual practical difference), I know the CE marking process is under way, but does anyone have any update or estimate of timescale for CE mark completion and therefore availability in the UK?

Thanks, https://www.thediveforum.com/images/icons/icon10.png
    Chris
  • Paulo
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

30 March 2019
    If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• diverelect
      TDF Member
      • Aug 2013

Thanks, perfect for me to get a course booked and for the water / weather to have warmed up a bit!

Comment

• Paulo
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

It is the day after Brexit

CE will hardly be an issue then
        If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Swifty
          TDF Member
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by diverelect
          Hi,
          Im looking to start my CCR diving adventure sometime early next year and having looked into the various units available, have sort of narrowed it down to either a JJ or an XCCR. If I go XCCR, and spend that amount of money, then Id like to by a CE marked version rather than a pre-CE marked version (yes Im aware there may end up being no actual practical difference), I know the CE marking process is under way, but does anyone have any update or estimate of timescale for CE mark completion and therefore availability in the UK?

Thanks, https://www.thediveforum.com/images/icons/icon10.png
          Chris
          The best people would be ask is IQsub who are doing the process, as they may be able to let you know where they are in the process.

It can also depend if they having to send it out to a Testhouse to do any work, and just how busy they are and if they have to make any changes to meet CE.

Personally, id ignore the CE bit unless you have your heart set on doing training in the UK. As you can do the training and pick up the unit at the same time outside of the uk. Someone in my club did this with a pre CE Evo.

Also the None CE may come with none M26 valves on the O2 (much more useful if you want to get a second set of cylinders and not have to piss about getting a m26 valve).

Comment

• diverelect
            TDF Member
            • Aug 2013

Thanks for the advice :-0 Ill keep the cylinder thing in mind.... Im intending to do the training in the UK.

Regards,
            Chris

Comment

• timmyg
              Gobbie squaddie, average diver
              • Dec 2012

Try
              Mark Powell
              Dave Gration
              Mark Culwick
              Ash Roberts

They’re all uk based instructors

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk
              My pages:
              l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

Comment

• topper133
                TDF Member
                • Jul 2016

As swifty says, why are you set on CE? I bought my xccr, did my training in Malta, Truk and then Egypt (MOD1, 2 & 3 respectively), don't get me wrong I love UK diving but give me somewhere warmer for the copious no-mask drills and BO scenarios!

And LMFAO @Paulo

Comment

• diverelect
                  TDF Member
                  • Aug 2013

I have already selected who I want as instructor (one of the ones on the above list as it happens) and am doing the training in the UK as that is the easiest for me when I want to do the training. Believe me, if I could get to do it some where nice and warm and blue waters, then I would! . To do the training in the UK with the instructor I want and "because I feel better with / want one" is why the CE marking, besides, the re-sale value might be better for if / when Im told by SWMBO that Im to old for doing this diving thing any more.......

Regards,
                  Chris

Comment

• desertrat
                    TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

I was chatting to Mark Culwick at Eurotek and he said IQsub were hoping that is would be done in Jan 2019. I believe it's just paperwork now and no further tests are required.
                    Rob

Comment

• WFO
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

You'll want to un-CE it immediately to put a proper oxy first stage fitting and valve on anyway.

Comment

• cathal
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by WFO
                        You'll want to un-CE it immediately to put a proper oxy first stage fitting and valve on anyway.
                        I saw a diver put the dil and O2 cylinder on in reverse on his unit, TWICE, in the same week. Lot to be said for dumb controls like M26 valves.

Comment

• M-J-J
                          TDF Member
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cathal
                          I saw a diver put the dil and O2 cylinder on in reverse on his unit, TWICE, in the same week. Lot to be said for dumb controls like M26 valves.
                          Whaaat? I don't think you can blame the rebreather for that level of clever...

Comment

• M-J-J
                            TDF Member
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by timmyg
                            Try
                            Mark Powell
                            Dave Gration
                            Mark Culwick
                            Ash Roberts

They’re all uk based instructors

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk
                            ...and Ian France

Comment

• WFO
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by cathal
                              Lets be fair here, if you are going to be that daft and then skip ALL the sensible pre dive checks then you are going to fking kill yourself on a rebreather no matter how idiot proof they try and make the unit.
                              How many corpses bobbing about with those nannying POS poseidons on that try wipe your arse for you because they forgot to switch the oxy on?

Comment

Working...