Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    1,409
    Likes (Given)
    460
    Likes (Received)
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by cprobertson1 View Post
    Oooh! I know this one! Is it me down there?

    Don't forget I'm open to suggestions! I provisionally decided on independent twins for the sake of redundancy more than anything else (of course, this comes with it's own set of problems) - I'll reconsider that side of the setup once I'm closer to actually having that setup! Just now it's a case of getting the bare minimum to get me in open water: after which I'll start building my own kit up incrementally!
    The hole they are talking about is the endless discussion about whether indy twins are better or manifold twins - that topic keeps coming up every so often (on this forum and others) and the topic normally runs for page after page of people arguing from whatever side they prefer. Neither side ever conceeds...

  2. #32
    Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    1,011
    Likes (Given)
    1291
    Likes (Received)
    1548
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    The hole they are talking about is the endless discussion about whether indy twins are better or manifold twins - that topic keeps coming up every so often (on this forum and others) and the topic normally runs for page after page of people arguing from whatever side they prefer. Neither side ever conceeds...
    It's known on here as "willy waving". Some forum members would argue with themselves in an empty room. There was once a post about spools that went on for ever. Some members have now been banned for being twats but we don't get as many laughs and groans these days.

    Get a cup of tea and put your feet up because this might go on for a bit. Check out the Brexit threads - like a game of tag - no one wants to shut up or back down. It's hilarious.

    Do what you want - I do. I get ridiculed and other divers say I will die but I'm still here.

  3. #33
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Too far from the sea!
    Posts
    8,061
    Likes (Given)
    2149
    Likes (Received)
    4873
    Quote Originally Posted by purple vonny View Post
    It's known on here as "willy waving". Some forum members would argue with themselves in an empty room. There was once a post about spools that went on for ever. Some members have now been banned for being twats but we don't get as many laughs and groans these days.

    Get a cup of tea and put your feet up because this might go on for a bit. Check out the Brexit threads - like a game of tag - no one wants to shut up or back down. It's hilarious.

    Do what you want - I do. I get ridiculed and other divers say I will die but I'm still here.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

  4. #34
    TDF Member cprobertson1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Ayrshire. Scotland
    Posts
    53
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    The hole they are talking about is the endless discussion about whether indy twins are better or manifold twins - that topic keeps coming up every so often (on this forum and others) and the topic normally runs for page after page of people arguing from whatever side they prefer. Neither side ever concedes...
    Ha, I had figured as much! I was merely joking that I had willingly jumped into said hole! Meh, I say! I can see pros and cons in both configurations to be honest; and that's about as much as I care on that particular matter. I'll try one and if I don't like it, pfft - my loss!




    Quote Originally Posted by purple vonny View Post
    It's known on here as "willy waving". Some forum members would argue with themselves in an empty room. There was once a post about spools that went on for ever. Some members have now been banned for being twats but we don't get as many laughs and groans these days.

    Get a cup of tea and put your feet up because this might go on for a bit. Check out the Brexit threads - like a game of tag - no one wants to shut up or back down. It's hilarious.

    Do what you want - I do. I get ridiculed and other divers say I will die but I'm still here.
    Ha, I bet the Brexit threads are hilariously dumb (regardless of which side you are on - the arguments quickly descend into the irrational: I'll need to don my face-protecting oven-mitts to mitigate facepalm injury!)

    Wait... what is there to argue about spools? I'm totally going to try and find that thread now!




    Right - so, quick question... how much should my ballast set me back? Weight Belt, 5, maybe 6 if I want an exotic colours - but when I'm looking at weights, the cost seems to add up pretty quickly. Obviously the exact weight I need depends on how buoyant I am when fully kitted up (which is why I wanted to borrow weights from the club to figure out how much I need to buy).

    I know an exact figure isn't really possible since some dive light and some dive heavy - but just as a sort of ballpark figure, how much might a typical diver spend on their weighting?

  5. #35
    Coastal Member dwhitlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Isle of Portland
    Posts
    5,875
    Likes (Given)
    2034
    Likes (Received)
    2609
    Quote Originally Posted by purple vonny View Post
    It's known on here as "willy waving". Some forum members would argue with themselves in an empty room. There was once a post about spools that went on for ever. Some members have now been banned for being twats but we don't get as many laughs and groans these days.
    Yeah, some are stuck with the idea they are right and everyone should be like them. This is especially true with those who believe a manifolded twinset with a long primary hose is the one true way and all others are wrong, especially those with pony cylinders.

    The reality is there are few wrong solutions (there are some) but there are many different solutions to the deal with survival in the alien world below the surface. So long as the setup works for the user, and everyone gets home, there is no problem with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by purple vonny View Post
    Get a cup of tea and put your feet up because this might go on for a bit.
    Check out the Brexit threads - like a game of tag - no one wants to shut up or back down. It's hilarious.
    You actually follow those threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by purple vonny View Post
    Do what you want - I do. I get ridiculed and other divers say I will die but I'm still here.
    I don't ridicule you, although perhaps I should when the only colour I can see is a pair of yellow fins swimming away. Nah, the kit you dive matches your diving and you enjoy the diving you do, and do it safely. What else matters?

  6. #36
    Coastal Member dwhitlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Isle of Portland
    Posts
    5,875
    Likes (Given)
    2034
    Likes (Received)
    2609
    Quote Originally Posted by cprobertson1 View Post
    Right - so, quick question... how much should my ballast set me back? Weight Belt, 5, maybe 6 if I want an exotic colours - but when I'm looking at weights, the cost seems to add up pretty quickly. Obviously the exact weight I need depends on how buoyant I am when fully kitted up (which is why I wanted to borrow weights from the club to figure out how much I need to buy).

    I know an exact figure isn't really possible since some dive light and some dive heavy - but just as a sort of ballpark figure, how much might a typical diver spend on their weighting?
    Correct weighting is both essential and very personal. It is subject to body density (adipose tissue is more buoyant than muscle or bone), suit/undersuit thickness, equipment and water density (sea water is about 3% more dense than fresh).

    I am over 6' and larger framed and configuration this year were:

    twinset/drysuit/salt water (9kg)
    CCR/drysuit/fresh water (0kg)
    CCR/drysuit/salt water (2-3kg)
    single tank/drysuit/sea water (12kg)
    single tank/thick wetsuit/sea water (9kg)
    single tank/thin wetsuit/sea water (7kg)

    It is common to start with more lead than you need and reduce the amount as you relax and control buoyancy better.

  7. #37
    TDF Member Moleshome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    254
    Likes (Given)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    75
    There's always someone selling lead on Facebook (UK Scuba Stuff for Sale). Someone just sold about 90 Kg for 70 which is extremely cheap, it generally seems to go for around 3-4/Kg.

    Decathlon are selling uncoated weights for 5/Kg, free delivery over 30.

  8. #38
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    1,409
    Likes (Given)
    460
    Likes (Received)
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by cprobertson1 View Post
    Ha, I had figured as much! I was merely joking that I had willingly jumped into said hole! Meh, I say! I can see pros and cons in both configurations to be honest; and that's about as much as I care on that particular matter. I'll try one and if I don't like it, pfft - my loss!
    Read up on it, find out what your potential buddies use and make your choice accordingly would be my suggestion

    Ha, I bet the Brexit threads are hilariously dumb (regardless of which side you are on - the arguments quickly descend into the irrational: I'll need to don my face-protecting oven-mitts to mitigate facepalm injury!)

    Wait... what is there to argue about spools? I'm totally going to try and find that thread now!
    You would be surprised how long a discussion about spools can be and it gets even worse if you mention reels as well

    Right - so, quick question... how much should my ballast set me back? Weight Belt, 5, maybe 6 if I want an exotic colours - but when I'm looking at weights, the cost seems to add up pretty quickly. Obviously the exact weight I need depends on how buoyant I am when fully kitted up (which is why I wanted to borrow weights from the club to figure out how much I need to buy).

    I know an exact figure isn't really possible since some dive light and some dive heavy - but just as a sort of ballpark figure, how much might a typical diver spend on their weighting?
    There is no such thing as the "right weight" - there is the weight you need to get down and stay down without rocketing up to the surface. The only way to get that is a proper weight check (and ideally do one on a semi regular basis until you reach a stable set up as you will probably find you need less as your experience picks up. Dive a few times using club weights until you get a weighting that works then buy that amount (second hand weights come up on various sites such as facebook, ebay etc on a fairly regular basis.

  9. #39
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    3rd rock from the sun
    Posts
    922
    Likes (Given)
    104
    Likes (Received)
    232
    Probably the only thing we'll agree on...

    All configurations are wrong and all will kill you if you don't know how to use them. Learn then practice until its second nature. Then practice on every dive.

    The corollary to that is that any configuration works as long as you know how to use it -- without relying on or interfering with other divers. "Standard" kit is a lot easier on other divers especially when diving together.


 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •