X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Chase
    Old but keen
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Steve Clark
    As for Mark’s comments about logistics, from what I’ve seen the GUE JJ CCR works fine. Just drive it with 15/55 for all wrecks up to 75m. Works fine at 20m if plans change and it’s not like you are going to use much out of 14L.

That doesn’t work on the RB80. You need the right gas for the dive to keep the ppo2 somewhere near optimal.
    If your weeks diveing is all similar depth then I grant it wont matter, but remember even on a CCR dropping the He makes a difference. Diving 65m for an hour on 10/70 gives 25mins more deco than diving the same dive on 13/50 and thats running 80/80GF or 35/100GF

Comment

• Mark Chase
      Old but keen
      • Dec 2012

Yes, you do have to go on and off the loop to donate. It’s again about the standard response. Immediate problem with buddy - donate whatever is in your mouth. Obviously you can’t donate the loop on the JJ or RB80 so the clipped off long hose is next best. It will always be fine, except very shallow.

Beyond the initial response, the divers can sort out the best solution. This may well be handing over a bottle or fixing whatever the issue was. It would be a bad day in a cave if you were relying on the long hose to get out a long way. It is however a great tool for an instant and safe fix to a cluster fuck.

GUE never just donate a reg off a clipped off stage bottle. There’s a fixed procedure for identifying & switching gas and it has killed people when it has been ignored in the past. It’s too slow for rapid donation.

You are right about the roots being in the cave environment. The GUE JJ CCR is heavy, but it does work in the sea. A standard 3L dil setup & no long hose in a cave is a totally different approach to GUE. Personal vs team solution. Both are valid.

I sat jaw agape when I heard that GUE come off loop to donate.

Yes yes I get the whole standards thing but it just insane to force the diver with the working unit to come off said working unit on to something which has the risk of not working and in doing so running the risk of rendering your own unit inoperable.

All just to keep a hog loop???

Mad

The rest of the world just donate a long hose straight of a side mounted stage but I suppose GUE heads would explode if they were asked to stuff a hose on the rear mounted 7s All those twinset divers with stuffed hoses they slagged for the last 20 years would crash the internet with their indignation

Comment

• johnkendall
        GUE Tech and Cave Instructor
        • Dec 2012

It is a bit heavy out of the water, but my wife can manage it happily, so it's not too heavy.

Yes, we carry deco gases in addition to the back gas, but that's probably only a 7 and a 40. For 100m depth, I add a 3rd deco gas, and below 120 I add a bottom stage too.

I'll add to Graham's offer, that if anyone near Cambridge wants to see it in the flesh and talk through the whole system then I'll also try and make coffee.

Thanks
        John

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
        John Kendall
        GUE Instructor Trainer, Tech and Cave Instructor www.johnkendall.com
        www.divinganalysers.com - Nitrox, Trimix and Single Gas Analysers
        www.santi-store.co.uk - Santi Drysuits, Undersuits and Accessories

Comment

• JonG
          Established TDF Member
          • Apr 2017

Do GUE JJ's incl an on-board Nespresso, seems to be a bit of a trend.

Comment

• johnkendall
            GUE Tech and Cave Instructor
            • Dec 2012

I don't drink coffee myself, so I don't promise any kind of quality....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
            John Kendall
            GUE Instructor Trainer, Tech and Cave Instructor www.johnkendall.com
            www.divinganalysers.com - Nitrox, Trimix and Single Gas Analysers
            www.santi-store.co.uk - Santi Drysuits, Undersuits and Accessories

Comment

• Steve Clark
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by johnkendall
              It is a bit heavy out of the water, but my wife can manage it happily, so it's not too heavy.
              To be fair, Rachael had no bother with D18s, 5 stages & an XK1. I’d rate her back stability over yours !

Comment

• Iain Smith
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

To be fair, Rachael had no bother with D18s, 5 stages & an XK1. I’d rate her back stability over yours !
                Brutal!

Comment

• Wibs
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Aug 2015

Identification of bottom gas bailout stage...

How does a "normal" CCR diver carrying, say, three bailout stages identify their bottom gas bailout stage? One assumes this needs to be instantly available so would be different from the two deco gas stages.

Comment

• JonG
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Apr 2017

Depends TBH, on where you have your deep bailout, whether, BM, SM or conventional stage, using a BOV or not etc.

Mine is always left side, permanently plumbed to BOV with a necklaced 2nd stage. Stage is standard DIR rigging so slack allows me to see neck markings.
                    Last edited by JonG; 04-12-2018, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• dwhitlow
                      Coastal Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Wibs
                      Identification of bottom gas bailout stage...

How does a "normal" CCR diver carrying, say, three bailout stages identify their bottom gas bailout stage? One assumes this needs to be instantly available so would be different from the two deco gas stages.
                      Most CCR divers will have their deep bailout on the left and some may plumb it into their BOV.
                      Deco gas will either be left, and below the bailout, or right.

In my case it will be right and the only third bottle I might carry is a supllementary 3 of oxygen.

Comment

• NWdiver
                        TDF Member
                        • Oct 2015

Yeah, the vast majority of people in my experience carry LL-RR. So the deep bailout is always left.

There's a lengthy thread about carrying a third bailout. When you do the plans, you're looking at a fairly big dive before you need it and, even then, there might be other options.

Assuming you're not diving in a mixed GUE team. You've moved away from the OC long hose and setup. So the major benefits in kit and procedure standardisation that call for all stages left aren't there anymore.

Gas switching is a nice calm thought out procedure. A bailout might not be. There's nothing else to confuse it with on the left. Also plumbed into my BOV.

The GUE config obviously has another bailout strategy. Well thought out I'm sure, but not appropriate in isolation without all the other procedures.

Comment

• OutOfTest
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Oct 2013

Bottom bailout is always in two sidemounted steels for me, one either side, both necklaced around the neck in the same place I have them for sidemount OC.

Deco bailout is always left or on a leash, with regs still on the cylinder. Same if more than 2x20L steels of bottom bailout are needed.

Anything necklaced is always breathable (apart from shallow), anything that isn't necklaced needs a proper gas switch.

Easy.

Comment

Working...