Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post
    Of course it works, its got a scrubber some cells 02 and dill??? What else do you need?

The point is is it as comfortable as diving 3s on your back? No

Is having the valves on the top easier to reach than by your hips? No

Is there any advantage of having the dill on your back as the same gas as being your bailout? No

Is there an advantage with off board 02? No

Has the addition of a manifold and H valves introduced failure points which we were all told by GUE were a bad thing? Yes

The JJ is a very well thought out bit of kit. You can unplug the 02 add and run PSCR through it, you can add a dill valve and unplug that an run off board emergency dill via your bailouts. You dont need 14ltrs of dill on your back

On a purely practical side. On multi day multiple depth trips Id take four or five 3ltr dill bottles some with say 21/35 some with 18/45 and some with 10/70

Then id take three X 3ltr 02 bottles.

SO if we got blown on the audascious and ended up on the Laurentic, id just switch to my 21/35 dill and go diveing

Arguably you could just load up three tanks of 10/70 and say sod it ill just dive lean mix no matter what the depth. Its one of the big advantages of a CCR after all.

With the silly GUE rig you cant do that unless you have multiple sets of 7ltr tanks with H valves on and are happy to strip the manifold to swap tanks.

Which ever way you look at it the GUE JJ rig is a bit daft. I know I have dived it. In fact I think that pic above was taken BEFORE GUE announced their version of the manifolded 7s rig? At the time I joked they'd copied me

I persevered with it for a while but the fact is, it just isn't nice to dive. Note the black 2.5kg bar of lead I had to cable tie across the bottom of it because the valves made it top heavy as well

If you want to dive that way, great knock yourself out. Its a free country

But PLEASE dont start saying its a better way to dive a JJ, because thats just laughable.

I have owned many CCR in the last 14years of diveing them. ALL of them were heavily modified except the JJ. My JJ was one of the very first batch of four sold into the UK (when was that? 2012 I think?) and yet the only change I have made to it is to swap the BOF over to a Golum Shrimp and after about 1100 hours use the 02 add packed in and I replaced that with a KISS valve with CMF so I could run it as a MCCR with parachute ECCR. The ECCR had never failed me but I like MCCR and in fact originally ordered my JJ as MCCR but they never went forward with offering that option.

The rest of it just works, and works well in standard configuration.
    its as comfortable a load out as you want.

my buddy was ahead of you on the JJ front, he went to collect his and we dove it in the pool afore you got yours.

but hey. it's an easier loadout than most 50m dives.
    B

got any pictures of your scooter? I loved that union jack photo
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Is the config:
    - JJ can
    - 3 litre O2 tin inverted as normal
    - 2 x 7ish tins of dil HP manifolded in valve up with two HP valves per tin
    - one longhose attached to the one dil tin
    The 3ltr 02 inverted would be a new one on me? I believe they carry the 02 side mount and it doubles as final deco gas, but I could be wrong.

Look at the pic I put up you see two manifold 7s with a flexible manifold and H valve isolation. To the right on the table you see ta separate 3ltr which was 02 connected to the unit by a longish hose.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The 3ltr 02 inverted would be a new one on me? I believe they carry the 02 side mount and it doubles as final deco gas, but I could be wrong.

Look at the pic I put up you see two manifold 7s with a flexible manifold and H valve isolation. To the right on the table you see ta separate 3ltr which was 02 connected to the unit by a longish hose.
    On the GUE-JJ the o2 bottle is mounted inverted on the right hand side.

On the RB80, o2 is carried off board and only plugged into the switch block at 6m for deco on the SCR (for gas extension).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    its as comfortable a load out as you want.

my buddy was ahead of you on the JJ front, he went to collect his and we dove it in the pool afore you got yours.

but hey. it's an easier loadout than most 50m dives.
    B

got any pictures of your scooter? I loved that union jack photo

I dont know what that means?

Yes wasn't my JJ in the same car? with a certain Mr J driving?

The UJ scooter wasn't my one. It was Bob Coopers which I borrowed for a Mallin trip in 2007

My KISS and all the gas I needed for a weeks 50-70m diveing.

Kitforaweeksdiving by markchase8, on Flickr

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    On the GUE-JJ the o2 bottle is mounted inverted on the right hand side.

On the RB80, o2 is carried off board and only plugged into the switch block at 6m for deco on the SCR (for gas extension).
    WOW thats horrid I suppose your relying on all offboard tanks left to counter the weight but doesn't it make the rig a bit wide???

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    WOW thats horrid I suppose your relying on all offboard tanks left to counter the weight but doesn't it make the rig a bit wide???
    no wider (much less) than LL RR on your hips which I think is what you dive...

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nah, it goes on the back and it’s only a 3L. For cave diving there is another 3L on the back at the other side. It’s no wider than the main DIL/backgas set.

Like this :

o o
    OOO
    DIVER

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Or this if you can see it :

https://www.facebook.com/JohnKendall...487641/?type=3

The two white cylinders you can see are o2 & suit gas. There are two 7L in front of these that you can just see the Lola valves on.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    There's enough people diving it, the secret is long gone.

As far as I understand it, you have :

A standard JJ-CCR
    Two large back-mounted cylinders of DIL with a GUE standard gas (32%, 15/55 etc.) valves at the head end. Like a twinset with the JJ in the middle. Typically D7L or bigger.
    The DIL cylinders have a flexible hose manifold (4 knobs) and it's normally dived open.
    Right post drives the long hose, wing & ADV. Long hose lives on the right shoulder D-Ring. Unclip to donate.
    Left post drives the SPG & BOV (some people dive standard backup reg without BOV)
    A small 3L oxygen cylinder mounted space-shuttle style at the back of the right cylinder/JJ with the valve at the arse end
    This has OPV and drives the MAV & the solenoid. Also has an O2 gauge which lives in the standard place next to the SPG on the left hip.
    A Halycon wing, cut to suit the JJ. Fed & dump in the same way.
    For cave diving, suit inflate cylinder goes on the back too. Space shuttle style between the left cylinder & the JJ. Valve arse down. As per OC mix/RB80. Same hand position.

All the other stuff - lights, scooters, stages etc. - are all in the same place, gear is identical and no new training or changes required. Just a big pile of cash and proper T2 experience.
    Thankyou.

My inexperience with diving CCR precludes me from commenting on this configuration.

However, one of the benefits of diving CCR that I'm looking forwards to is a lighter weight rig, especially for cave/mine diving. This heavier config plus the need to train with GUE obviously negates adoption.

It also seems counter to the DIR KISS principle as you still need bailout which could simply be handed over to an OOG OC or CCR diver.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Good thread, been interested in the detail and reasons behind the config for a while.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast