Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GUE CCR configuration

Met up with a couple of people at Eurotek where the subject of the GUE CCR configuration came up.

I'm not familiar with it except knowing that it includes a twinset of diluent and a long hose.

Where could I find out more about this configuration: its precise config, its reasons, benefits, thinking behind it, the deployment protocols, etc.

I'm asking out of genuine curiosity as someone moving to CCR in the next year. If it's really that much better than a stock JJ, then shouldn't we all adopt it?

This is a genuine question.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Met up with a couple of people at Eurotek where the subject of the GUE CCR configuration came up.

I'm not familiar with it except knowing that it includes a twinset of diluent and a long hose.

Where could I find out more about this configuration: its precise config, its reasons, benefits, thinking behind it, the deployment protocols, etc.

I'm asking out of genuine curiosity as someone moving to CCR in the next year. If it's really that much better than a stock JJ, then shouldn't we all adopt it?

Gue CCR 1

To answer your “where would you find out more” question.

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Think we have one maybe two good threads on this forum if you have a look .l seem to remember one that went on for sometime .
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Gue CCR 1

To answer your “where would you find out more” question.
    Alas not. Just says:
    "Modified tank configuration as appropriate for GUE approved Rebreather
    Modified regulator configuration as appropriate for GUE approved Rebreather"

Edit: cannot find an explanation, either official nor unofficial of the config or reasoning.
    Last edited by Wibs; 02-12-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Alas not. Just says:
    "Modified tank configuration as appropriate for GUE approved Rebreather
    Modified regulator configuration as appropriate for GUE approved Rebreather"
    You didn’t make the course though, hence you’re still looking for the course notes.

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    Think we have one maybe two good threads on this forum if you have a look .l seem to remember one that went on for sometime .
    Seen that. Was a bunfight and their config was still in development. Now it's released. Time for the official explanation and reasoning.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am in Bournemouth - anybody who is interested can pop by and I'll even make coffee.

No feeding the trolls here though

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Start with Fundies, then Tech 1, then enough T1 dives to be allowed to apply for the Tech 2 course, then enough T2 dives to be eligible for GUE CCR, plus a JJ and a reconfiguration. If you have a spare £18,000 go for it. If you have a spare £5k do a TDI Mod1 on a good as new JJ
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Seen that. Was a bunfight and their config was still in development. Now it's released. Time for the official explanation and reasoning.
    May have been seen as a bum fight but I think it was more fishing than fighting . they got lots of feed back and I'm sure it was not all tossed in the not guest ban .
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL

The GUE configuration has no logic in terms of CCR diving but has some in terms of trying to morph over ideas from their use of the RB80 and a need to keep to some form of standardised system along the lines of their OC system

GUE did a frankly amazing job of creating a standardised rig for OC diving, but the desire to keep everting in line with the GUEs version of the Hogarthian concept, has lead to some less than ideal solutions

Their CCR rig is the worst of these by far.

I experimented with manifolded 7s on the back with off board 02 for the purpose of diving boats where kitting up was very difficult so having all my bailout on my back helped.

The rig is unwieldy and the equivalent of driving a bus to driving a sports car. The two 3ltrs on the back are far more comfortable to dive.

It also goes against a basic safety concept of CCR diving, which is to keep your bailouts totally independent of driving the CCR its self

Having the valves at the top is also a bit of a step backwards to a time where we all struggled to reach them. On a CCR theres no effort involved as they are by your hips.

Its sad to say but I also feel that GUE had to do something different to make them stand out. They fought against the use of CCR for many years, but in the end had to accept it was the only way forward for trimix diveing. SO I have a nagging suspicion this was a face saving exercise in some ways. Rather than admitting you could just stick a CCR on your back and go diveing they sort of reverted to type and said, OH NO your all doing it wrong you should be doing it like this .

IMG_3392 by markchase8, on Flickr

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast