Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Gareth, I do believe your right

It's all to do with what looks like squigley string, licorice allsorts, and dead beetles inside, that I know very little about, but it works quite well, I'am still here !

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Changing 02 Cells

I know that some of the recording of the lectures have made their way into the public domain but when I asked Petar Denoble when the conference proceedings were going to be released (should have been out by Dec 12), he said that some presentation papers hadn't even been received by DAN

Regards
    Gareth

www.imagesoflife.co.uk - Underwater Print Sales, Teaching and Stock Library
    www.cognitas.org.uk - Improving Safety by Challenging Current Practices
    www.divingincidents.org - Diving Incident and Safety Management System (DISMS)
    - 2014 Report here

“Set your expectations high; find men and women whose integrity and values you respect; get their agreement on a course of action; and give them your ultimate trust.”

“It is far better to be trusted and respected than it is to be liked.”

Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu Baron015's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've never changed a cell.

Actually that's not quite right - I had to change all 3 cells in my Sentinel after I flooded it.

Also I chucked one cell when I was in Bikini since it seemed to be working fine around 0.21 but very slow at around 1.3.

Although I've had the JJ about 16 months now, I ought to think about changing the other 2 ....

TB.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Changing 02 Cells

Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    The Shearwater Predator also has a diluent F02 output available with a few presses of the right-hand button.
    Hammerhead has it too. Must admit I've never used it, I find it easier just to do it mentally. In eCCR mode there's enough button pushes to switch the solenoid off before flushing that I cant be arsed with the additional ones.

I find the mV display quite useful for the 6m ppo2 check though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mine failed nicely out of sync so the replacement was staggered until cell gate and when I got my head serviced last April all 3 cells failed the tests at APD and they were replaced under warranty for free :-) My cell checking regime is to try and remember to do a linearity check when I hit the bottom pushing it to a bit beyond 1.4. At the end of my dive before leaving 6m I will occasionally get the loop as close to 1.6 as I can and then drop to 7/8 or 9m and see if the pO2 spikes to 1.9 and then review the traces in log viewer. If I am concerned about a cell and it is old I'll swap it out, if it is under a year I'll post it to AP with a nice note asking them to check it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOC View Post
    Neil, I do believe that there are some great innovations on MkIV and when the O2 cell presentation was given at RF3.0 there were certainly a few people asking why isn't cell/gas/depth sensor validation taking place using dil and or O2.

Regards

It is

I do it all the time

Its very simple to acheive and i dont reely see the need for complex automation

ATB

Mark

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post
    It is

I do it all the time

Its very simple to acheive and i dont reely see the need for complex automation

ATB

Mark
    Hi Mark,

I kind of agree with your view. I used to do it manually in my head, that way you knew it was done, i.e. you can depend on yourself, but I find that having it done for me is one less small task to do that allows me to just go diving.

I suppose it's similar to them that have mccr as opposed to eccr, them that work primarily with tables, not computers, them that insist that the pilot fly the plane, not the auto-pilot, them that drive manual gearbox cars, not auto's, them that light the cooker with matches, those that don't bother with central heating and still light the fire in the morning, even those that use "instant" coffee, and not a Netspresso !

DINOSAURS

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post
    Hi Mark,

I kind of agree with your view. I used to do it manually in my head, that way you knew it was done, i.e. you can depend on yourself, but I find that having it done for me is one less small task to do that allows me to just go diving.

I suppose it's similar to them that have mccr as opposed to eccr, them that work primarily with tables, not computers, them that insist that the pilot fly the plane, not the auto-pilot, them that drive manual gearbox cars, not auto's, them that light the cooker with matches, those that don't bother with central heating and still light the fire in the morning, even those that use "instant" coffee, and not a Netspresso !

DINOSAURS

Back up dive computer with Ratio deco Check

Never flown a plain with auto pilot Check

I have two cars I mainly drive both manual Check

No the cooker is a spark lit Fail

I have no central heating down stairs except 1 Rad in the kitchen and utility. I have background heating under floor and have a log fire to heat the house in the winter. Check

I drink instant coffee Check

Yep by your standards, defo a Dinosaur

In truth most of the things your offering up have been with us quite a while and are pretty reliable. My issue with complex automated CCR is X ATMs of water and miniscule R&D budgets which leave us in the water as crash test dummies.

My most automated CCR (Hammer Head) was so bloody unreliable I couldn’t stand it. Its advanced "safety" features tried to kill me a couple of times. My least advanced unit KISS was 100% reliable (total missed dives one flood due to a split mouthpiece)

If an when they bring out a reliable fully automated ECCR Ill consider buying one, but to date they have not. I have heard so many stories about failed boot up routines on Poseidon’s it doesn’t give me a great deal of faith in the system. There has also bee two deaths on Poseidon’s despite all its electronic support and that’s on a unit I have yet to see anywhere outside a dive show.

Volvo spent £23,000,000 on an automated anti collision system for their S60 car. This was designed to stop rear end crashes by automatically applying the breaks in time to stop the car.

Hear they demonstrated it to a public audience so one assumes they had got all the bugs out.

I wonder if Poseidon spent £23,000,000 on R&D for their safety features?

Volvo Collision Protection system tested on Truck - Crash. - YouTube
    Last edited by Mark Chase; 21-02-2013 at 08:25 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In a nutshell, your spot on, none of the current breed of RBs are 100% safe !

And if it makes you chuckle, and brightens up your day, I just bought er indoors a Volvo !
    And if I had a £ for every time in the early years that the Mk6 failed its pre dive checks, I would be writing this from my Caribbean branch, not me Cardiff one, couple that with a £ for every promise that Posiedon make, I would be minted

Re two deaths, for what its worth, the woodentop experts reckon the result of this one was human error.............

http://mkvi.poseidon.com/downloads/A...10-05-31-1.pdf

It makes you wonder if some users might be killed crossing the road. You even need a licence to fish !

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Changing 02 Cells

Have there been many/any rebreather accidents where the unit was found to be at fault?

I don't put a lot of faith in bells and whistles as the vast majority of accidents appear to be human factors. Human error is only half the story, that kind of assumes we have no learned behaviour. When a system does x then it is human nature to react by doing y.

It's pretty common in industry where a system is either too complicated or too prone to shutting you out that the users find ways of working round it. Is that the fault of the user or the designer? Similarly, the more you remove the user from playing a part in his own safety the more accidents that happen.

The only dives I missed on my KISS were when a cell died. Other than that it never missed a beat. Automation is not a bad thing as long as you can still work it without it and know enough to spot when it has fallen over. The danger with a lot of the more complex rebreathers is that they increasingly stop either of these happening and turn the diver into a passenger.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast