Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Upgrade

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2020 Upgrade

I've got my vision head at AP for some bits to be done and I'm contemplating getting it upgraded to 2020. Is it worth the money? My thinking is that it'll probably add as much as it costs in resale value but I begrudge spending best part of 900 on something that is just a display unless it's awesome.

And, do you get your old handset back?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Can't comment on the 2020 upgrade but I would check with ap first re. Getting your handset back as I found out with my classic when I got the handsets replaced (the old ones still worked) and they refused to send the old handsets back, stating it's their "service return policy".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by keithsh View Post
    I've got my vision head at AP for some bits to be done and I'm contemplating getting it upgraded to 2020. Is it worth the money? My thinking is that it'll probably add as much as it costs in resale value but I begrudge spending best part of 900 on something that is just a display unless it's awesome.
    Like the old handset it has three buttons to control the electronics in the lid, shows PPO2 and functions as a dive computer.

Additional features are the clearer and brighter screen, the digital compass (I never use), the huge memory for data of hundreds of dives, Bluetooth communication to upload dives and, my favourite feature, tilt-activated enhanced brightness.

I was an early adopter and had some problems (which AP have resolved). My problems, and associated risk, led me to do the upgrade I probably should have done first as I added an OSTC cR to provide independent cell monitoring. If I'd gone with the OSTC cR first I can't be sure if I'd have done the 2020 upgrade. However, the 2020 is very nice and you'll probably not regret the upgrade. If you went for both you'd not regret that either either.
    Quote Originally Posted by keithsh View Post
    And, do you get your old handset back?
    No. It is an upgrade. They keep the old handset. It is in their T&Cs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You don't keep the original handset as this is an upgrade not a new-purchase.

The 2020 has a few neat features but basically is just a better display.

If you only have one pot of money and you don't have a redundant handset then get that instead. The SW, cable and holder is about 1300.

If you can go for the NERD then I would do that instead. It costs more.

Best option is to do both NERD and 2020.

Matt.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I've decided to get the upgrade and then might look at selling it on to go back to my classic if it doesn't live up to expectations.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    keith

what matt said is good, or get a nerd put on your classic, one our mob has a classic with a nerd fitted, i have a nerd on my JJ prob best spend on kit i have done in a long time

alby

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How does the APD hus compare to the nerd?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The HUS was just a remote screen for the AP system whilst a Nerd is a completely independent computer

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The 2020 upgrade is excellent as the screen is so much better and the buttons don't seem to fail like the older handset.
    As Matt says, you don't get the old handset back.

The only issue with the 2020 is the cable. It's a touch shorter than the original one which means a fully grown adult might find it a bit too short. It's also a very fragile thing - I've had mine for under two years and just had to send it back yesterday because of a cable fault which cost me a weekend's diving (not just the time but the 300 in boat/lodging & petrol). A buddy of mine has had to send his back three times for cable issues.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BcDiver View Post
    How does the APD hus compare to the nerd?
    The Nerd is available whilst the HUS isn't (sadly).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast