Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

learning to clear mask

I'm currently doing a dive course (BSAC).
    I'm totally fine with everything apart from mask clearance! The first time I had to do it, I was fine unless the mask was full/nearly full. But I think it's become a bit of a mental block cos last session I couldn't do it at all!! That is, unless I wasn't being asked to!! When we were doing a different skill and I happened to get a little bit of water trickle in, I could clear it no problem at all.
    Are there any tips anyone could give me?! Or is it just a case of practise and staying calm? I've just been practising at home, just by putting a bit of water in from the tap, and I could do it a bit better, but noticed water was trickling down my nose (I wasn't breathing in through my nose) - how can I stop that happening? I'm thinking maybe that was what was happening in the lesson and it was messing it up for me.
    Thanks!!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Assuming that your instructor has shown you how to tilt your head back and breathe out through your nose to clear the mask, then it's all about breathing through your mouth instead of your nose. In standing depth (with your instructor), try breathing from your regulator without a mask at all. Once you're comfortable with this, then fit your mask underwater and clear it.

Don't over-think it, many students struggle at first but get the hang of it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    have a look at this thread for tips https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...-mask-clearing

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    have a look at this thread for tips https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...-mask-clearing
    Beat me to it

hanfromman - have a read of that post and stick with it - I can report that the mentally blocked trainee in question in that post succeeded next day and is now a qualified diver

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We had a student that tried to practice this in her sink, in her college room. It was a small sink with two taps. It was at a height that was slightly too high to kneel. She tried to kneel down, slipped and got her head stuck under the taps, unable to stand up and head in the water. Fortunately, she had the awareness to pull the plug else we would all be famous.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    We had a student that tried to practice this in her sink, in her college room. It was a small sink with two taps. It was at a height that was slightly too high to kneel. She tried to kneel down, slipped and got her head stuck under the taps, unable to stand up and head in the water. Fortunately, she had the awareness to pull the plug else we would all be famous.
    Good problem solving skills! Not so sure about the sink selection skills though.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.