Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb Survey for Wearable Assitive Audio Devices

Hello! I am currently working on designing an audio interface for a potential wearable audio device designed to assist cave and deep-water divers.

Therefore, I am gathering input from fellow prospective and experienced divers regarding what they use to assist their diving experience.

If you are interested in helping, please fill out the survey provided in the link below. Any input is extremely valuable and is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

https://goo.gl/forms/qjnAsUXe5rJBi5Lz2

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Done.

However, the example given of a depth indicator seems like a solution looking for a problem. It would never be as accurate as a dive computer / timer. Some of these have settable alarms for max planned depth, ascent rates etc and many people turn these off. Personally I find multiple beeps whilst diving irritating and distracting.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I often don't even hear my rebreather beeping as my ears are not really on point in the water.
    If they are waxy they retain a bubble of air and the thick hood keeps them warm but muffled.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't hear any alarms underwater as I have significant hearing loss. Most devices seem to use high pitched bleeps designed for land use. These will have highest volume drop off underwater. I have started a poll on this on Polls forum purely for interest and also because the OPs original questionnaire seems to have disappeared.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The more I think about vibration may be the best way to provide notification to the diver.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubacoach View Post
    The more I think about vibration may be the best way to provide notification to the diver.
    Yes but introduces problems of where device is worn, over dry suit etc or separate vibrator with communication through suit. Someone will comment soon on this forum on that, they can't resist!
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I could hear my inspo but only when i orientated the thicker end of the buzzer in the direction of my ears AND placed the cable on the inner part of the harness (closest to me). Otherwise a couple of hoods and water in ear it was useless.

That said it 'only' went off when I was expecting it too, ie pre dive checks and cell validation so I was listening out for it...it may have gone off other times which I didn't notice.

No HUD so handsets were constantly monitored, I didn't ever consider the buzzer as any kind of redundant monitoring as IMO it isn't in anyway fit for that purpose. I pretended it wasn't there.

The divesoft freedom has the vibrating and audio alarms, which I liked the idea of. However, when using it and the perdix together as a test I never felt the need for them, so i got the perdix.

Issue with audible stuff for monitoring is that you only need it when something is wrong/changes and if that is the time the buzzer breaks ... vibrating was more noticeable for me but the same concept applies. Unless you can validate it is constantly working (changing lights/numbers/blank screen/depth which you can manually verify) and therefore going to tell you when something is off it's just another thing to go wrong... IMO... says the person who really wanted a sentinel/Redbare!
    Last edited by M-J-J; 17-11-2018 at 04:50 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    But I would be very interested to hear about any new developments or ideas which come out of your work, the above was my summary of stuff which is currently available and it's effectiveness.