Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Van roof tube.

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Van roof tube.

Chaps.

Am looking for one of the above, as used by plumbers for carrying lengths of copper tube. Itís for carrying my telescopic height measuring pole that I have with me in the truck for measuring high loads, and will be mounted somewhere out of the way on the truck chassis. At the moment the pole lives on the top bunk but itís an utter pita climbing into the cab in my overalls and lowering the bunk to get to it, hence the idea to mount it outside. (The bottom bunk is the ideal place for it, but Iím not risking damaging my salmon pink candlewick bedspread and fleece-lined paisley pattern winceyette Jim-jams )

Iíve had a trawl through the likes of Van Vault and Rhino, but tbh Iím not enamoured with the idea of spending in the region of £100 for a new one. Iíve pondered the idea of making one from a length of 100x100 aluminium box section with fabricated locking end caps, but that will probably work out dearer than a new one, and I donít do fleabay either. Soooo, can anyone suggest where one might be procured from, or even made cheap-ishly?

Much ta,

Man-try

Self Defecating The Real Paulus's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    4 in soil pipe with stop ends, one solvent welded the other hasp and staple padlock?
    The weakest part of any security is usually the lock so fancy, proprietary kit is only as good as the padlock. And none of them will withstand 15 seconds with well directed a crow bar.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You could get a length of 110mm soil pipe and solvent-weld on two threaded access caps. Lots of window fitters use these for storing trims and stuff like that on the roof. Not secure, but does it need to be?

https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/pipe-f...-p23388/s31475

You can mount using 110mm munsen rings. Gives you a 8/10mm threaded socket that you can bolt into.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/111963533953?chn=ps

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The 4 of us in our business all use the Rhino, and they are bombroof, but for what you need depending on the diameter of the measure, soil, rainwater or even waste pipe would work just as well.

All of which can be configured with blanking plugs (screwed) or push fit caps. It wouldn't be hard to fabricate a locking mechanism but obviously being plastic may not be worth it.

Easy to attach with jubilees, or bespoke munson rings although they would need Hammerite or varnish to prevent corrosion.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Great minds Steve

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    Great minds Steve
    Some are just quicker...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Used both methods (soil pipe and rhino), soil pipe variant worked fine for about 4 yrs then the exposure to sunlight highlighted the weakness, braked hard and the copper tube broke through the plastic end plate (gone brittle you see), Changed to rhino never looked back nor had pipe fly forward and into the road following hard braking
    www.wapsac.co.uk
    Apparently becoming a grandad

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If I know plumbers, it's probably more a problem with driving rather than sunlight!

How y'all have the gall to put your names on the side of your van....

Established TDF Member bubbleless's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You could get a nice stainless tube to match your nice truck...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Totty View Post
    Used both methods (soil pipe and rhino), soil pipe variant worked fine for about 4 yrs then the exposure to sunlight highlighted the weakness, braked hard and the copper tube broke through the plastic end plate (gone brittle you see), Changed to rhino never looked back nor had pipe fly forward and into the road following hard braking
    Would the 'above ground' soil pipe (the black stuff) be as likely to go brittle? The front facing end could be made stronger with a disc of aluminium or similar on the inside.

If you haven't got any aluminium handy an old minion onesie stuffed in the end would do the job.
    Last edited by Firefly; 08-11-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast