Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nigel Ingram and his buddy were lost at sea off dover for 32 hours

I one of Andy Aberys group was lost for 8 hours?

I was lost in the middle of the English Chanell after diving the Moldavia when a F3 turned into a F6-8 whilst I was underwater

I think I was on the surface for just an hour, it felt like 10

My underpants were beyond saving

I baught a PLB after that

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRawlingson View Post
    I carry a PLB for offshore diving. However, it won't be much use if the country in which your diving lacks the infrastructure to mount a rescue. Better than nothing though. You will need a canister for the PLB which seems to be a source of failure, although I haven't had a problem. It's just basic O ring care.

With the old type perhaps but the new satellite ones will notify every one its an SOS even passing plains. And it transmits a GPS coordinate along with your name and your chosen sport IE Diver Mountain climber etc.

I take my one with me when out on my KTM in case I crash somewhere remote. I must update them that I dive but also ride a KTM or they could be looking for a diver in the middle of a forest

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by LearnerDiver View Post
    I make PLB canisters and have made a good few for TDF'ers
    Hi,
    Any pic of the case? Still making them? What do you charge please?
    Cheers

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Hi,
    Any pic of the case? Still making them? What do you charge please?
    Cheers
    Diddy, Giant, and medium - keys & cash, PLB, Cigs, and Mars bar, and McMurdo PLB sized - all custom made to order so can be any size you want.
    80 - 100+ inc VAT plus postage depending on size
    Sealed with face and additional barrel seal if required, comes with spare O rings & grease
    https://ffsystems.co.uk/plb_canister.html

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi all

So I want a PLB that I can use for diving and for adventure trips - I tend to walk/climb alone or just with my dog (who is useless with anything that requires manual dexterity) and I am happy with that but occasionally I feel a bit exposed when I am a long way off what passes for the beaten track here - even on a popular route you may not see another person for weeks. So I am looking for recommendations for a PLB. They all seem to cost an arm and a leg to change the battery so I guess that in effect you buy one with the longest possible life remaining and bin it (figuratively not literally - "this is the Coastguard are you in difficulties in a tip in Bedford?") once its service life is up - I assume that the really cheap ones on line have been in stock for a while and are near the end of their battery life. I would like something that is reasonably light as I expect to carry the thing up mountains more than take it diving and I guess I need to factor in a case to take it diving. Recommendations? I quite like the look of the Ocean Signal but I may be a muppet and I guess its form factor means that a dive case is going to be "difficult" and the "mars bar" shape of the basic McMurdo unit is more practical for divers.
    Last edited by Energy58; 12-11-2018 at 05:23 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    Hi all

So I want a PLB that I can use for diving and for adventure trips - I tend to walk/climb alone or just with my dog (who is useless with anything that requires manual dexterity) and I am happy with that but occasionally I feel a bit exposed when I am a long way off what passes for the beaten track here - even on a popular route you may not see another person for weeks. So I am looking for recommendations for a PLB. They all seem to cost an arm and a leg to change the battery so I guess that in effect you buy one with the longest possible life remaining and bin it (figuratively not literally - "this is the Coastguard are you in difficulties in a tip in Bedford?") once its service life is up - I assume that the really cheap ones on line have been in stock for a while and are near the end of their battery life. I would like something that is reasonably light as I expect to carry the thing up mountains more than take it diving and I guess I need to factor in a case to take it diving. Recommendations? I quite like the look of the Ocean Signal but I may be a muppet and I guess its form factor means that a dive case is going to be "difficult" and the "mars bar" shape of the basic McMurdo unit is more practical for divers.
    The Ocean Signal is shorter than the McMurdo ones but slightly wider - a McMurdo canisters would be minimum 58mm inside diameter, Ocean Signal would require 60.5mm, Ocean Signal is 29mm shorter

By the time you have put them in a dive canister the outside dimensions would be almost the same but the height would be slightly less for the Ocean Signal

Battery changes at five or six year intervals are around the 80 mark for replacement battery, top cover, antennae, and testing so not that bad compared to 200+ for a new PLB - random search link with info and prices for battery replacement: https://www.sparesmarine.co.uk/mcmur...ery-servicing/

McMurdo seem to be more common based on the number of different canisters I've made, but there are loads of different types and sizes around

There are also other options such as the Spot Tracker: https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101 & https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spot-GEN3-S.../dp/B00C8S8S4W for boat and land use but its not a PLB and doesn't have full service worldwide

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Re: cost - anyone who has been "lost at sea", myself included will tell you that the cost of the unit and battery replacements is pretty much irrelevant.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post
    With the old type perhaps but the new satellite ones will notify every one its an SOS even passing plains. And it transmits a GPS coordinate along with your name and your chosen sport IE Diver Mountain climber etc.
    My point was not about the emergency signal being received, but who is going to rescue you. Many of the smaller countries in the south Pacific for example don't have the means to rescue a diver who is drifting in open ocean. An international response may happen, but it will take time to organise and may arrive too late. I'm not saying don't carry a PLB, it may be your best and only chance, but doesn't guarantee a good outcome.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfone View Post
    Didn't have a very good day yesterday...I was tidying up my dive gear from the weekend while I was waiting on the dishwasher repair man to arrive. We're off to Indonesia in a couple of weeks so thought I better charge up our Nautilus Lifeline before we go. I took it out by BCD pocket and heard it slosh! The sound of water inside an airtight container is never good. It is totally flooded and likely a right off as I was diving in the sea.

Dishwasher man comes and goes - looks like 150 to fix it. Ho-Hum, an expensive day but these things happen.

I head off to visit my mum and somehow when driving into a parking space, just clipped the neighbour's car and have totally wiped out my back door and wheel arch side panel! Not to mention scraping the paint off their bumper. Ouch!

I have found that most of the places we go don't even have a radio on the boat, emergency kit now seems to be a mobile phone. Only live-a-boards seem to have the technology to pick up a lifeline signal and I was never very sure of the radio side of it anyway. Looking for something useful for diving in remote locations, that is bombproof and idiot proof. Is there anything new out there that I should consider replacing the lifeline with?

Sharon
    engage brain, assume the idiots will lose you given half a chance and navigate your way back to the entry point then stick up a big flag and point a bright torch at them and give them a long blast with one of these to wake them up. https://www.leisurepro.com/p-aquda/d...gnaling-device no battery or electronics required.

and an AIS such as the nautilus or mcmurdo smartfind S10 most modern plotters will put you up on the screen with a direction and rate of drift.

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    give them a long blast with one of these to wake them up. https://www.leisurepro.com/p-aquda/d...gnaling-device no battery or electronics required.
    I have one of those - never used in anger, but we tried it out during rescue scenarios in training and its very very loud - much more effective than a whistle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast