Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Flooded my Nautilus Lifeline and other tales of woe!

Didn't have a very good day yesterday...I was tidying up my dive gear from the weekend while I was waiting on the dishwasher repair man to arrive. We're off to Indonesia in a couple of weeks so thought I better charge up our Nautilus Lifeline before we go. I took it out by BCD pocket and heard it slosh! The sound of water inside an airtight container is never good. It is totally flooded and likely a right off as I was diving in the sea.

Dishwasher man comes and goes - looks like 150 to fix it. Ho-Hum, an expensive day but these things happen.

I head off to visit my mum and somehow when driving into a parking space, just clipped the neighbour's car and have totally wiped out my back door and wheel arch side panel! Not to mention scraping the paint off their bumper. Ouch!

I have found that most of the places we go don't even have a radio on the boat, emergency kit now seems to be a mobile phone. Only live-a-boards seem to have the technology to pick up a lifeline signal and I was never very sure of the radio side of it anyway. Looking for something useful for diving in remote locations, that is bombproof and idiot proof. Is there anything new out there that I should consider replacing the lifeline with?

Sharon

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I carry a PLB for offshore diving. However, it won't be much use if the country in which your diving lacks the infrastructure to mount a rescue. Better than nothing though. You will need a canister for the PLB which seems to be a source of failure, although I haven't had a problem. It's just basic O ring care.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfone View Post
    Didn't have a very good day yesterday...I was tidying up my dive gear from the weekend while I was waiting on the dishwasher repair man to arrive. We're off to Indonesia in a couple of weeks so thought I better charge up our Nautilus Lifeline before we go. I took it out by BCD pocket and heard it slosh! The sound of water inside an airtight container is never good. It is totally flooded and likely a right off as I was diving in the sea.

Dishwasher man comes and goes - looks like 150 to fix it. Ho-Hum, an expensive day but these things happen.

I head off to visit my mum and somehow when driving into a parking space, just clipped the neighbour's car and have totally wiped out my back door and wheel arch side panel! Not to mention scraping the paint off their bumper. Ouch!

I have found that most of the places we go don't even have a radio on the boat, emergency kit now seems to be a mobile phone. Only live-a-boards seem to have the technology to pick up a lifeline signal and I was never very sure of the radio side of it anyway. Looking for something useful for diving in remote locations, that is bombproof and idiot proof. Is there anything new out there that I should consider replacing the lifeline with?

Sharon
    With a run of luck like that I would be wary of doing anything dangerous!
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    PLB in a case, large SMB, torch and make sure the dive guide is a local, and stick like glue.

Make sure the PLB is registered. In Australia the Australian Maritime Safety Authority has a web site where you can update your details, so you can say where you expect to be at what time and other details, as well as emergency contact details. I have never had to use thePLB, but I put in the details of the dive operator I am using, on the theory that someone may ring them if the PLB is activated.

Where about in Indonesia are you diving
    Last edited by Russjstewart; 07-11-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russjstewart View Post
    Where about in Indonesia are you diving
    We are off to Alor, where I would very much doubt anyone but the navy patrol boats have a VHF now. All outboard canoes and bigger boats are small local transport.

We have been before, it can have mental currents, up, down, fast drifts. We had "fun" with a strong down current last time and my reaction was to stick with the guide. He told me to hang out under a ledge for 5 mins while we waited on the frightening power of the sea to subside. It seems to come in threes and once the last surge calmed we made it back up the reef where all the divers who had struggled against it where wide eyed and short on air.

Any pointers on PLBs?

Sharon

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Make a nice big flag. Some dayglo nylon Yellow or Red/Orange and a cheap telescopic fishing rod )I got two for 12 (admitted a few years ago). Remove the flimsy top section fix flag to top with cable ties. Fix to tank/rear of BCD with one snoopy loop. Make sure you can reach it behind your neck. I haven't dived the sea without it since The Brothers incident. Brief the boat boys that you have it.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    "The Brothers incident"?????

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomsop View Post
    "The Brothers incident"?????
    A good few years ago but this millennium, there was a group of British divers swept off the Brothers it took about 18 hours to recover them. Partly them loosing contact with the reef and not surfacing or putting SMB up quick enough part the boat crew not looking out very well. I am NOT blaming either. I can't find a web reference to it just now but it resulted in a good deal of tightening of Egyptian rules and regs, which may have relaxed again now.
    I was booked to dive the brothers about 4-5weeks after that incident. Made a big flag quite quickly. I have used it a couple of times now but never really in fear of being swept away only to alert sleepy boat crew.
    I'm sure someone else with more net savy will find a reference please.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfone View Post
    Any pointers on PLBs?

Sharon

McMurdo Fast Find 220 and CD canister. The latter has a poor reputation, but I haven't had a problem. There was someone selling an alternative on TDF. As for the PLB, I haven't had to use it, so can't comment on it's reliability.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRawlingson View Post
    McMurdo Fast Find 220 and CD canister. The latter has a poor reputation, but I haven't had a problem. There was someone selling an alternative on TDF. As for the PLB, I haven't had to use it, so can't comment on it's reliability.
    I make PLB canisters and have made a good few for TDF'ers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast