Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: RB's and RIBS

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

RB's and RIBS

Prompted by another thread, I was wondering about diving with a rebreather off a RIB. Previously I have always discounted it as an option due to the amount of perceived faff and aggro involved but would be interested in hearing whether others do it and whether it necessitates a change in rig, addition of a handle etc.

I currently dive with a single piece webbing harness, so might have to add a break if I do go down this route.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My local club has a large rebreather contingent and they regularly dive off the club ribs. The last RB only dive was out to the Afric, 4 divers each with two stages. Getting the RB out of the water requires the diver to help the cox but once it’s on the tubes we leave them a minute or so to drain before moving onto the rack.The OPH brigade also seem to get on ok.

Most, if not all units have some form of grab handle at the top. Some are soft webbing, others are metal. Both work ok.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I saw the reports on those dives on FB and thought at the time that they looked impressive under the circs. I am probably being too soft and grey haired........that said I went grey at 30.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    you just need more space on the boat what was 6 OC single cylinder divers becomes 4 with max kitting up two at a time (but that's the same with OC twins and stages) and it helps if you have a boat handler that isn't diving as the run times are longer so getting in waves of divers either side of slack isn't happening. you do need a lift bar for dragging the unit back in the boat, and a shoulder break or expansion loop in the harness does make it easier to de-kit alongside the boat.

other than the lift bar whats the difference between RB with stages and twins with stages?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post

other than the lift bar whats the difference between RB with stages and twins with stages?
    Very true, nothing Mike other than 20 years and what's in my head!

Part time bubble-free.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    Prompted by another thread, I was wondering about diving with a rebreather off a RIB. Previously I have always discounted it as an option due to the amount of perceived faff and aggro involved but would be interested in hearing whether others do it and whether it necessitates a change in rig, addition of a handle etc.
    No change when I last did it. So long as the RIB can accommodate you plus stage(s), it's no different to twins plus stage(s). Handle may or may not be required, depending on how your unit is setup. Mine had a handle but I could have passed up a shoulder strap to the boat driver and that would have worked just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    I currently dive with a single piece webbing harness, so might have to add a break if I do go down this route.
    Only if the OPH doesn't fit you properly. Mine didn't and it was a PITA.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I clip a leash off the back of the rib before the dive, basically 4 foot of rope with a karabiner on 1 end.

Clip it to a D ring or top handle when I surface and have as long as I want to get dekitted and not worried about unit sinking
    Last edited by Paulo; 31-10-2018 at 07:27 AM.
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes like the other replies not a bigee. Quite often the cox is my wife. 2/3 ccr in the water. First out uses the stern line to secure the unit climbs out hauls their unit then the rest. Helps if your unit floats , integrated weight might not be your friend here. The easier it slides up the tubes the better. I appreciate your not on an inspo but the original box makes a good sledge into the boat. Iím using a Kent tooling frame that wasnít easy to slide in. Butchered a wickes dustbin to make a cover and it slides a treat now. Kitting up is ok, bailouts can be handed in or out. Space/weight is probably the biggest consideration.