Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManualOverride View Post
    What's a Ni?
    A knight that wants a shrubbery?
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpj View Post
    A knight that wants a shrubbery?
    What article do we need to invoke to change this at the BSAC conference?

It's clearly won the vote

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Tecnickal divers use Rebreathers .
    Sorted that for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sumo664 View Post
    Sorted that for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    That took longer than expected!

What should TDF's version of Godwin's law be called?

I'm bidding for Stone's law after Bill Stone. "The longer a thread goes on, on TDF, the probability that you should buy a rebreather tends to 1."

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    BSAC encourages the use of a long hose on the octopus. That's never been up for debate.

It's hoglooping that is/was contentious.

Currently not allowed in training (unless you're one of the sekrit squirrels piloting the new courses), but allowed in normal diving if you've been trained by some bugger else.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilPage View Post
    BSAC encourages the use of a long hose on the octopus. That's never been up for debate.

It's hoglooping that is/was contentious.

Currently not allowed in training (unless you're one of the sekrit squirrels piloting the new courses), but allowed in normal diving if you've been trained by some bugger else.
    A 95 cm hose isn't long. 2.1m is a long hose. 1.5m is a (short) long hose, good enough to get some distance from the other person, but they're still in-yer-face as you do your flat-trim ascent and minimum deco stops.

As for bungeeing a longhose to your back-mounted (pony?) cylinders... it's just bloody stupid - how are you going to re-stow it when it comes undone? In fact how do you know it's come undone -- when you can't fin forwards 'cos it's caught on the wreck?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A 95 cm hose isn't long.
    I know.

2.1m is a long hose. 1.5m is a (short) long hose,
    Which is what BSAC recommends. Like I said - a long hose.

As for bungeeing a longhose to your back-mounted (pony?) cylinders... it's just bloody stupid - how are you going to re-stow it when it comes undone? In fact how do you know it's come undone -- when you can't fin forwards 'cos it's caught on the wreck?
    That's a separate issue. And what I think is that if I'm deploying my (or your) long hose, the dive's over. Why do I need to re-stow it?

Personally, I don't bungee. I stow it in my bcd.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    To be honest I do wish the BSAC PTB would include 'proper' long hose use in the training. Once trained it could then be an option to use one.
    Mainly to sort out how it should be stowed (if and when bungied to cylinders - much simpler on RIBS) and re-stowed. Also how the donor maintains control of an 'out-of-gas' situation with buddy. That is the one thing that really concerns me with many (club) divers using long hoses - told it's a 'good thing' but really so many haven't a clue.
    That dubious interpretation made by many in the early days of 'technical diving' made me go and get a proper understanding of the subject. Finally convinced when diving with a diver from another club who made a similar training exploration some years earlier - no showing off, just put her kit on the boat, when kitting up sorted her hoses out in 2 quick moves; no snagging, no knots and close to her body under control.
    I wouldn't want to number the times I've had sort out stowage and usage issues of long hoses when diving 'cause divers have been trained by instructors who have made their own interpretation of the subject.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No more stupid then the assumption that a system with a pony can't be as well thought out as a system with a long hose on twins etc.

An idiot with a twinset is every bit of an idiot with a pony, just that a pony being cheaper tends to be the first choice of redundancy for many
    which means it has a larger slice of inexperienced divers. A lot of that is down to peers who should know better that would happily say
    go do a twinset, fundies, ADP courses etc. if thinking twins, but would say just "slap it on" when it comes to a pony.

Not really surprising then that it gets a bad rap when it's the blind leading the blind

ANY cylinder of gas regardless of size or number needs good protocols to ensure it's used as intended.
    We don't blame a twinset for a CF of a rig, so why blame the pony for the same? Blame the diver, the pony is innocent

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilPage View Post
    Why do I need to re-stow it?

Personally, I don't bungee. I stow it in my bcd.
    Because you do an S-Drill at the start of the dive and show your buddy that it is, indeed snag free which involves deploying it to prove it. Then you re-stow it, then you dive.

Which I think is the whole point of people not liking bungee/bcd/any other way not proven at point of dive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast