Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thistlediver View Post
    The DIVER mags from the 1970/80s featured cover photos of some extremely photogenic divers, the advertisers as well seemed to think that all divers were women, as they only showed females modelling their equipment. How things have changed, no wonder their circulation has dropped off.
    It was indeed a different world. I seem to recall the regular ad with the photo of the girl in the half unzipped front entry bare neoprene shorty wetsuit along with words that went along the lines of "I like a man who uses BRISTOL compressors'.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    ... no wonder their circulation has dropped off.
    Thatís probably the cheese and wine diet... and post dive rehydration?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The DIVER mags from the 1970/80s featured cover photos of some extremely photogenic divers, the advertisers as well seemed to think that all divers were women, as they only showed females modelling their equipment. How things have changed, no wonder their circulation has dropped off.
    Didn't it carry adverts for Double Diamond and Watney's Red Barrel?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Didn't it carry adverts for Double Diamond and Watney's Red Barrel?
    My apologies to DIVER mag, it was actually its predecessor TRITON which had the pretty outrageous covers. They would have the "me too" generation foaming at the mouth nowadays. Both were Eaton publications and when it did change to DIVER they toned it down just a little. The photographer was Derek Berwin although Mike Vallentine produced some pretty tasty stuff as well. The main culprits amongst the advertisers were Luxfer, Spartan and Scubapro. Couldn't find any adverts for Double Diamond or Watneys red barrel. I don't think divers took an alcoholic beverage in those days.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Couldn't find any adverts for Double Diamond or Watneys red barrel. I don't think divers took an alcoholic beverage in those days.
    ???????

I don't remember any adverts for alcohol in Triton/Diver but I certainly don't recall us being a particularly abstemious bunch!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    ???????

I don't remember any adverts for alcohol in Triton/Diver but I certainly don't recall us being a particularly abstemious bunch!
    Shock, Horror! Drink and Dive! Surely not!
    The SCOTFED and DOC conferences wre more like AA meetings, he lied.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There may not have been any Red Barrel ads in DIVER or Triton either but there was a rather tenuous link to Watneys nevertheless. At that time, BSAC HQ was located in London, Watneys brewery offered them the lease of a rather rundown pub, the Balloon Tavern in Chelsea as a communal clubhouse for branches based in London and a meeting place for visiting divers. The offer was taken up and renovated with the help of volunteers from various London branches. It was also a venue for Council and NDC meetings and club social events. The licensee was well known BSAC personality, Mike Todd, assisted by a few other officials. Eventually Chelsea became a very fashionable district and Watney reclaimed the lease to upgrade it into a posh pub for the up and coming clientele who now populated the area. Its all detailed in Reg Vallintines book "The Club".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Every day's a school day! I never knew that what became The Ferret & Firkin in a Balloon up the Creek had been a BSAC club.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234