Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare Mask

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spare Mask

Who carries one during a dive, who doesn't and who has ever needed one.

I used to but never needed it and haven't since I re-started on the basis that despite hundreds of dives of my own multiplied by the buddies I used to dive with I have never needed one myself and never seen anyone need a spare.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post

I used to but never needed it and haven't since I re-started on the basis that despite hundreds of dives of my own multiplied by the buddies I used to dive with I have never needed one myself and never seen anyone need a spare.
    I do on deeper dives because being effectively blind with a reasonable deco obligation would be a Bad Thing and like you I have never seen one used "in anger" but you never know...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I carry one on every dive. Not needed it Underwater but have needed it twice on the surface just before a dive

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I carry one on every dive that has overhead, deco or working (eg ghost net removable, recovery dives etc)

For all other (shallow) dives I tend not to bother

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We were taught to do it on the trimix course and I carried one (between us as a buddy pair) for a while. Don't bother now. There is a spare mask each in the kit bag and room in my pocket if I really felt there was a reason to do it. I can see how it would be shite to have to do long deco without a mask, but it does seem a very long shot that you find yourself without one.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I carry a spare mask on every dive as I don't fancy the prospect of an ascent without being able to see my depth or my ppo2. Other than on courses, and during (occasional) drills, I have never swapped to my backup mask.

I put the idea of not carrying a spare mask (and SMB) in the same place not having any insurance. If you are thinking of not carrying a spare mask then I guess it comes down to how lucky you feel

I've used insurance policies and I've used my spare SMB and I've found knowing the backup mask is in the pocket reassuring on those occasions when I've struggled to resolve a flooding mask. So far, on those occasions, removing and reseating the existing mask has sufficed.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I carry a spare mask in the right hand pocket along with the spare dsmb. Never needed to use it 'in anger' but wouldn't want to need it when it's 30m above me on the boat.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I do not have a spare mask. I have two masks one on my face one either in a pocket on the surface depending on the dive but mostly in my pocket. I have lent it to buddies before when they have had mask problems of their own. I have swapped my mask when I could not stop it leaking. Like all safety equipment it is only any use if you are practiced in using it. If you do not have the confidence to change mask at the maximum depth of your dive you should consider if you should be that deep.

Graham.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I carry one.
    I have needed it once and given it to another diver once in the water and twice in the boat.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Established TDF Member Iain Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post

I carry one on every dive - for the deeper or cave dives, because it would be a serious PITA to be a long way from home and unable to see. My “old style” Tech 1 course included “hump day” - a blind, gas sharing ascent from 45m including a gas switch for which one was entirely reliant one’s buddy. (I’m told this is no longer done!) I’ll very happily sacrifice a little space in my right thigh pocket than have to do that in anger! I also scooter dive. Even on my “prehistoric” Gavins, at high speed there’s enough flow to wash a mask off in the wrong circumstances.

For shallow stuff, the spare lives in the same mask box as my main - stowing it in the pocket is pretty much a reflex - and I’m much more likely to practice a mask swap on a shallow dive than on a deep or cave dive.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast