X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonG
    Established TDF Member
    • Apr 2017

Spare Mask

Who carries one during a dive, who doesn't and who has ever needed one.

I used to but never needed it and haven't since I re-started on the basis that despite hundreds of dives of my own multiplied by the buddies I used to dive with I have never needed one myself and never seen anyone need a spare.
  • Energy58
    Established TDF Member
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by JonG

I used to but never needed it and haven't since I re-started on the basis that despite hundreds of dives of my own multiplied by the buddies I used to dive with I have never needed one myself and never seen anyone need a spare.
    I do on deeper dives because being effectively blind with a reasonable deco obligation would be a Bad Thing and like you I have never seen one used "in anger" but you never know...

Comment

• jb2cool
      Sorry for being a dick
      • Dec 2012

I carry one on every dive. Not needed it Underwater but have needed it twice on the surface just before a dive

Comment

• John63
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

I carry one on every dive that has overhead, deco or working (eg ghost net removable, recovery dives etc)

For all other (shallow) dives I tend not to bother

Comment

• Chrisch
          Tofu eating wokerato
          • Jan 2013

We were taught to do it on the trimix course and I carried one (between us as a buddy pair) for a while. Don't bother now. There is a spare mask each in the kit bag and room in my pocket if I really felt there was a reason to do it. I can see how it would be shite to have to do long deco without a mask, but it does seem a very long shot that you find yourself without one.
          There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
          With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• dwhitlow
            Coastal Member
            • Dec 2012

I carry a spare mask on every dive as I don't fancy the prospect of an ascent without being able to see my depth or my ppo2. Other than on courses, and during (occasional) drills, I have never swapped to my backup mask.

I put the idea of not carrying a spare mask (and SMB) in the same place not having any insurance. If you are thinking of not carrying a spare mask then I guess it comes down to how lucky you feel

I've used insurance policies and I've used my spare SMB and I've found knowing the backup mask is in the pocket reassuring on those occasions when I've struggled to resolve a flooding mask. So far, on those occasions, removing and reseating the existing mask has sufficed.

Comment

• Nickpicks
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

I carry a spare mask in the right hand pocket along with the spare dsmb. Never needed to use it 'in anger' but wouldn't want to need it when it's 30m above me on the boat.
              Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

• bottle maker
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

I do not have a spare mask. I have two masks one on my face one either in a pocket on the surface depending on the dive but mostly in my pocket. I have lent it to buddies before when they have had mask problems of their own. I have swapped my mask when I could not stop it leaking. Like all safety equipment it is only any use if you are practiced in using it. If you do not have the confidence to change mask at the maximum depth of your dive you should consider if you should be that deep.

Graham.

Comment

• nigel hewitt
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Sep 2013

I carry one.
                  I have needed it once and given it to another diver once in the water and twice in the boat.
                  Helium, because I'm worth it.
                  Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Comment

• Iain Smith
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by JonG

I carry one on every dive - for the deeper or cave dives, because it would be a serious PITA to be a long way from home and unable to see. My “old style” Tech 1 course included “hump day” - a blind, gas sharing ascent from 45m including a gas switch for which one was entirely reliant one’s buddy. (I’m told this is no longer done!) I’ll very happily sacrifice a little space in my right thigh pocket than have to do that in anger! I also scooter dive. Even on my “prehistoric” Gavins, at high speed there’s enough flow to wash a mask off in the wrong circumstances.

For shallow stuff, the spare lives in the same mask box as my main - stowing it in the pocket is pretty much a reflex - and I’m much more likely to practice a mask swap on a shallow dive than on a deep or cave dive.

Comment

• AndrewRawlingson
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

I carried a spare mask for many years as a new convert to solo diving. As time has gone on, my diving has got tamer (no deco and shallower), so don't bother most of the time.

Comment

• Mikael
                        Could start a fight in a convent.
                        • Dec 2012

I carry a spare on every UK dive. Only once did I have to swap because I couldn't stop my main mask from leaking. My backup misted up badly straightway. I was left little choice but to constantly flood and clear it to keep even limited vision. It was like trying to dive by peaking through a blurry keyhole.

That was tricky as I was leading the dive on a new site heading towards a different exit from our entry. Fortunately it happened towards the end so I managed to get us close enough, surfaced and got our bearings before swimming the last bit.

Back up was a Hollis that hadn't been used much and in my experience I find they mist up very easily when new. Subsequently I went at with a lighter which I find is the best way to remove that residual film you get on masks.
                        Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Comment

• OrangeHead
                          TDF Member
                          • Jan 2013

I always have a second mask in my pocket. The only time I've used it in anger was when a strap broke while almost fully kitted-up on a rib - that would have been a real pain otherwise. I guess that /could/ happen underwater. I nearly lost my mask once in Capers when somebody's student kicked it. You could lose one to a seal... Anyway (to pick up dwhitlow's insurance analogy), it seems like a small premium to me.

Comment

• Steve C
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

Carry a spare
                            1. All CCR dives
                            2. Any time I could not do a direct ascent to surface
                            3. Any time I am instructing

Used it twice .. both with students who broke mask straps doing mask drills

Comment

• Vanny
                              Gone diving back later
                              • Jan 2013

I have 2 identical masks. Always have one in my pocket but never needed it. Being bifocal I don’t think a buddy would enjoy it much but better than nothing, carried for me though not anyone else.

Comment

Working...