Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Laying Reel On Wrecks

Just been thinking this through and had a few questions to pose:

Do you prefer spools or actual reels for the above and why?

I have been using a reel (Dive Rite) but wondered if a spool is easier in this application.

If using a reel do you use a clip on the end of the line for easy attachment & removal or a cave style line stop. I have the latter on mine and it can be a bit of a faff and an entanglement possibility when passing the whole reel through the loop. I was thinking I could just use a double ender and have the option depending on the tie off.

Bit off the wall idea but has anyone considered using sisal or other natural line on their reel, like the N American divers used to do when creating a temporary upline.

This would mean each leg of the dive could result in a cut and tie off, making for a quicker return transit, but safe in the knowledge that it would decay and rot.

I have found 6mm as smallest on a brief search so amount of line carried would be less than on a regular reel, and swelling could create an issue so a big drum would be better.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Spools tend to be shorter, although you could carry several. Reels can be big.

Suppose a double-ender could be used at the start end. Normally wrap it around the wreck near the shot with a couple or three turns.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use a reel. Large loop at end of line so I can put loop around shot then pass reel through loop. I use a friction type reel that is carried purely as a bottom reel. I have ratchet reels for SMB use.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    please don't lay line and leave it, even natural fibre takes a long time to rot and meanwhile its a bloody nuisance. I ended up with fins entangled in some line left inside the breda last weekend and ended up cocking up the vis whilst freeing myself which I found really annoying.

It doesn't take much to freak people out early in their diving career and being caught up in abandoned line in shit vis could end up far worse than just annoying.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    For laying proper line, reels.....but I'd only bother in cack vis.

That said, line recovery done right doesnt need to be slow

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I wrote this 13 years ago but I haven't changed my view on it much since

And I still use the same Pathfinder reel

The large spool allows for fast retrieval which is often very handy. The design of the reel is virtualy tangle free and the handle design allows for excellent fingertip friction control. Its just spot on which is why I have never changed it.

https://www.yorkshire-divers.com/for...ht=laying+line

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Mark will have a read later

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Reel for me , I bought a new KT reel this year for my main dsmb , back up pocketed on a spool. This has left me with a custom diver 120 mtr reel I can use on wrecks or as a back up. To be honest though I much prefer to amble about then bag up. Up until this year I haven’t returned to shot in 2 decades. Strangely this year either weather or organisers have asked for a return to shot on around 5 dives. The 50 mtr reels seem a bit too short , with a few tie offs you don’t seem to get to far , hence I’m glad to have the custom diver reel spare in the box.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mark any particular reason for using a suicide clip, I get the sense behind the free movement of the shot but wasn't sure if there was a reason for not using a bolt snap

Putting the FU in SNAFU The Duck's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Though there are exceptions, many UK wrecks have quite short penetration distances and so for these (IMHO) a spool works well.
    For anything further than several meters then a Pathfinder style reel is my weapon of choice.
    If in doubt then assume that you can go a good way in.
    Do not despise the snake for having no horns,for who is to say it will not become a dragon? So one just man may become an army! - The Water Margin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast