Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Evesham
    Posts
    3,299
    Likes (Given)
    1055
    Likes (Received)
    1967
    A No-Go gauge going in three turns means the thread is oversize so there most likely wouldn’t be any issue fitting the first stages. That would be evident if the Go gauge wouldn’t go in, indicating damaged or ovalised threads.

    Regardless of this, they are your property and should be returned, even if they are rendered “safe” in some way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

  2. #12
    Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    561
    Likes (Given)
    524
    Likes (Received)
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    A No-Go gauge going in three turns means the thread is oversize so there most likely wouldn’t be any issue fitting the first stages. That would be evident if the Go gauge wouldn’t go in, indicating damaged or ovalised threads.

    Regardless of this, they are your property and should be returned, even if they are rendered “safe” in some way.
    my argument though, is that they havent been presented for a formal test - therefore cant have failed a test - therefore shouldnt be rendered safe

    They were happy to return the cylinders untouched to me before the clean - so my view is they should return the valves as-is

  3. #13
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NW UK
    Posts
    1,347
    Likes (Given)
    300
    Likes (Received)
    480
    Doesn't take many lovely service experiences like this before you start looking at your own compressor...

  4. #14
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    3rd rock from the sun
    Posts
    1,237
    Likes (Given)
    154
    Likes (Received)
    298
    Reminds me of when I got a gas fitter to change the "bunsen burner" tap on a boat stove supply hose. He was all for condemning the oven as it wasn't one of the modern ones with flameout detection.

    We parted company with me making it perfectly clear that I'd not asked him to look at that and in any case you never leave a boat stove unattended.

    He didn't even bring the right part even though I'd sent him a photo.


    I think a very straight letter/email demanding the return of your property -- or an equivalent replacement -- is in order. 14 days to comply or small claims court. Even a little shop would rather sort out the problem than face the bureaucratic grief of a court appearance.

    Not to mention they should be named and shamed so we can all avoid them. If only you were a BSAC member ... ;-)

  5. #15
    Established TDF Member bubbleless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    944
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    238
    They returned your cylinders as s with the advice that they couldn't work on the cylinders as the valves were not up to standard, as these guys can only refit valves that are within safe tolerances, this is tested by using a go no go gauge, you cannot test these tolerances with a compressor whip or a 1st stage....

    Do you have the same arrangements with the garage when he replaces a set of brake pads that ... may wear out in the next six months.... how many mm was there left on it how did you measure it... it worked last time I used the car... or sorry I can't let you drive the car there is a wheel nut missing.....??

    Yes the twinset should be the same setup as it was when it went, and maybe they should have given you the valves back, what was on the sheet you signed for the work to be done???

  6. #16
    Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    561
    Likes (Given)
    524
    Likes (Received)
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    If only you were a BSAC member ... ;-)
    I am a member. How does that help?

    re. naming them, its Dosthill Quarry (Technically Gildenburgh Quarry, as thats where they go for test) . I was going to give them the chance to sort this out before naming them - but they're refusing to return the valves - so yeah - avoid them!

  7. #17
    Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    561
    Likes (Given)
    524
    Likes (Received)
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleless View Post
    maybe they should have given you the valves back, what was on the sheet you signed for the work to be done???
    not 100% sure of that - but I did specifically write on that that I didnt want the valves testing...

  8. #18
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    7,564
    Likes (Given)
    712
    Likes (Received)
    3264
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleless View Post
    They returned your cylinders as s with the advice that they couldn't work on the cylinders as the valves were not up to standard, as these guys can only refit valves that are within safe tolerances, this is tested by using a go no go gauge, you cannot test these tolerances with a compressor whip or a 1st stage....

    Do you have the same arrangements with the garage when he replaces a set of brake pads that ... may wear out in the next six months.... how many mm was there left on it how did you measure it... it worked last time I used the car... or sorry I can't let you drive the car there is a wheel nut missing.....??

    Yes the twinset should be the same setup as it was when it went, and maybe they should have given you the valves back, what was on the sheet you signed for the work to be done???
    It is standard practise in the garage trade to show the worn parts to the customer to be certain they have been replaced. (Clearly you would be able to see the valves were new). Not sure I would get too stressed at not having them back as they are no use, but the knobs and other spares might be handy. More annoying than anything really.

  9. #19
    Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    561
    Likes (Given)
    524
    Likes (Received)
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    It is standard practise in the garage trade to show the worn parts to the customer to be certain they have been replaced. (Clearly you would be able to see the valves were new). Not sure I would get too stressed at not having them back as they are no use, but the knobs and other spares might be handy. More annoying than anything really.
    Main reason is for me to get a second opinion on whether they are a fail or not...

  10. #20
    Established TDF Member MikeF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Darkest Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    3,756
    Likes (Given)
    195
    Likes (Received)
    2683
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy_uk View Post
    Main reason is for me to get a second opinion on whether they are a fail or not...
    And I can't help but suspect that's why you didn't get them back. I had a discussion with a test centre where they failed a cylinder as the M25 gauge didn't fit properly and they destroyed the cylinder and said they had condemned the valve.

    I wasn't surprised the m25 gauge was a poor fit seeing as it was a 3/4 bsp thread. I have less faith in Cylinder testers these days than the pre IDEST days.

    Just ask yourself if it's worth the pain or better to chalk it up to experience.


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •