Banner Ad

Do all 5mm wetsuit brands provide the same amount of warmth?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greatwhite
    Established TDF Member
    • May 2013

Do all 5mm wetsuit brands provide the same amount of warmth?

I'm after a new wetsuit. I was just wondering if all wetsuit brands provide the same amount of warmth, in my case, I am probably after a 5mm. Obviously, I will try the suits on to get the best fit.

Thanks
  • John63
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

No not all 5mm are the same.

better quality brands / better models within a supplier range will be warmer. Quality of stitching, seals at wrist, ankle, neck will all reduce flushing. Zip quality is important and also whether there are overlap flaps behind the zip. A well made semi dry should be the warmest.

However, as you already say, the fit is one of the key issues. A badly fitting loose suit will be cold whatever the quality.

I personally find that wearing a base layer as a vestor t-shirt such as Polarfleece / FE thermocline / Lavacore type reduces flusing and also helps when getting changed. The extra layer is supposed to be equivalent of 2-3mm of neoprene but without any bouyancy penalty. Not sure about that but defintley a bit warmer .

Comment

• jturner
      Established TDF Member
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by greatwhite
      I'm after a new wetsuit. I was just wondering if all wetsuit brands provide the same amount of warmth, in my case, I am probably after a 5mm. Obviously, I will try the suits on to get the best fit.
      What John63 said.

Regarding fit, it's also about the cut of the suit. For some weird reason, Aqualung suits seem to be shaped to fit me perfectly. My old Bodyglove, less so, so I have to fill in the gaps a bit with a rash vest. As for brands, I think most modern designs of suits will be nice and warm. The days of stiff 5mm neoprene seem to be gone, thank goodness.
      The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• AndrewRawlingson
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

There are none more zealous than a new convert, but consider a freediving suit, a different league in terms of thermal protection. Harder to don/doff than a wetsuit designed for SCUBA, but this is easily resolved with lube (hair conditioner).

Comment

• Tel
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

No.

Material
          Cut
          Features
          Quality of manufacture

Take a UK built 'slab' suit made out of the minimum number of pieces, cheapo neo, cut legs/arms (no seals/zips)
          and sewn together in a shed whilst wearing boxing gloves. Now compare that with the output from Sweden

Comment

• greatwhite
            Established TDF Member
            • May 2013

Originally posted by Tel
            No.

Material
            Cut
            Features
            Quality of manufacture

Take a UK built 'slab' suit made out of the minimum number of pieces, cheapo neo, cut legs/arms (no seals/zips)
            and sewn together in a shed whilst wearing boxing gloves. Now compare that with the output from Sweden
            ok, so I have a waterproof 5mm and 7mm - which are great suits, but as my body shape has changed are probably not the best fitting suits to keep me warm. Would you recommend anything over the waterproof suits? What other suits are swedish?

Comment

• greatwhite
              Established TDF Member
              • May 2013

Originally posted by jturner
              What John63 said.

Regarding fit, it's also about the cut of the suit. For some weird reason, Aqualung suits seem to be shaped to fit me perfectly. My old Bodyglove, less so, so I have to fill in the gaps a bit with a rash vest. As for brands, I think most modern designs of suits will be nice and warm. The days of stiff 5mm neoprene seem to be gone, thank goodness.
              Would you recommend aqualung suits?

Comment

• greatwhite
                Established TDF Member
                • May 2013

Originally posted by John63
                No not all 5mm are the same.

better quality brands / better models within a supplier range will be warmer. Quality of stitching, seals at wrist, ankle, neck will all reduce flushing. Zip quality is important and also whether there are overlap flaps behind the zip. A well made semi dry should be the warmest.

However, as you already say, the fit is one of the key issues. A badly fitting loose suit will be cold whatever the quality.

I personally find that wearing a base layer as a vestor t-shirt such as Polarfleece / FE thermocline / Lavacore type reduces flusing and also helps when getting changed. The extra layer is supposed to be equivalent of 2-3mm of neoprene but without any bouyancy penalty. Not sure about that but defintley a bit warmer .
                Thanks, yes i already wear a lavacore, which are fine, but I think I would rather wear a decent suit that the lavacore set to keep warm. I also, find the lavacore takes a long time to dry and is heavy once wet. May be the lavacore is no longer a good fit for me either.

Comment

• greatwhite
                  Established TDF Member
                  • May 2013

Anyone tried/looked at the beauchat range?

Comment

• Tel
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

ok, so I have a waterproof 5mm and 7mm - which are great suits, but as my body shape has changed are probably not the best fitting suits to keep me warm. Would you recommend anything over the waterproof suits? What other suits are swedish?
                    Neoprene stretches with use and has a memory so if you eat pies and then lose the weight again the suit
                    won't go back to as was. If it fitted when you bought it the answer is to either get a suit that's your size
                    or at a push can use other layers to take out the voids that have been created.

Voids allow flushing, so the suit is not against the skin and the water won't heat up like it should.
                    Rash vest, small 1mm neo vest, lavacore loads of ways, but all depends how bad it is.

As for other brands, take your pick sizing/fit is everything, but I tend to favour a Mediterranean cut
                    and the top semi-drys in those are almost pseudo drysuits.

Look at Mares, Cressi, Beauchat, Scubapro, O'Neil, Body-Glove, Aqualung
                    Last edited by Tel; 30-09-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• John63
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Thanks, yes i already wear a lavacore, which are fine, but I think I would rather wear a decent suit that the lavacore set to keep warm. I also, find the lavacore takes a long time to dry and is heavy once wet. May be the lavacore is no longer a good fit for me either.
                      Not sure if I was clear, I meant wear the fleece thermals under the wetsuit not instead.

Comment

• jturner
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

Would you recommend aqualung suits?
                        Yes. I have a 3mm full suit and a shortie for the pool and both fit me well and are lasting very well (though the long suit has turned into a nasty beige/grey colour... but I stopped giving a damn about colours ages ago!). Haven't tried a 5mm one though - my old Bodyglove one is still going on.
                        The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• Treerat
                          The swimming rodent
                          • Dec 2012

My O3 suit is superb, as others have said a thermal or 1mm neo rash vest under and I use a hooded vest over, this keeps the neck from flushing and works great.

It's possible to add a shorty over too when required. I also have a Beaver 5mm suit that I use when travelling, it's great ad have UK dived it in tow teens and been warm enough for single cylinder no deco dives.
                          Andy
                          www.budediveclub.co.uk
                          www.gafirs.org.uk
                          If it moves - canoe it, if it doesn't dive it!

Comment

• doggy's doodah
                            'Day 1' TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

I have 5 and 7.5 Waterproof suits and love them. In the winter I have a hooded vest (Mares) which stops the annoying flushing.

Most important thing is to try on the EXACT suit you want/need. I recently fell in love with a Cressi - fitted like the paper on the wall, but was very expensive, much, much more than my Waterproof Ebay bargains!
                            Growing old is mandatory, growing wise is optional.

Comment

• Pete Bullen
                              Dive tart, and 'tog
                              • Dec 2012

Anyone tried/looked at the beauchat range?
                              I have the beauchat 6/7/8 front entry semidry and love it. I've had it 3 years and done hundreds of dives in it and it's still going strong, my next semidry will be another one.
                              Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
                              Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
                              http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Comment

Working...