Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do all 5mm wetsuit brands provide the same amount of warmth?

I'm after a new wetsuit. I was just wondering if all wetsuit brands provide the same amount of warmth, in my case, I am probably after a 5mm. Obviously, I will try the suits on to get the best fit.

Thanks

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No not all 5mm are the same.

better quality brands / better models within a supplier range will be warmer. Quality of stitching, seals at wrist, ankle, neck will all reduce flushing. Zip quality is important and also whether there are overlap flaps behind the zip. A well made semi dry should be the warmest.

However, as you already say, the fit is one of the key issues. A badly fitting loose suit will be cold whatever the quality.

I personally find that wearing a base layer as a vestor t-shirt such as Polarfleece / FE thermocline / Lavacore type reduces flusing and also helps when getting changed. The extra layer is supposed to be equivalent of 2-3mm of neoprene but without any bouyancy penalty. Not sure about that but defintley a bit warmer .

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I'm after a new wetsuit. I was just wondering if all wetsuit brands provide the same amount of warmth, in my case, I am probably after a 5mm. Obviously, I will try the suits on to get the best fit.
    What John63 said.

Regarding fit, it's also about the cut of the suit. For some weird reason, Aqualung suits seem to be shaped to fit me perfectly. My old Bodyglove, less so, so I have to fill in the gaps a bit with a rash vest. As for brands, I think most modern designs of suits will be nice and warm. The days of stiff 5mm neoprene seem to be gone, thank goodness.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There are none more zealous than a new convert, but consider a freediving suit, a different league in terms of thermal protection. Harder to don/doff than a wetsuit designed for SCUBA, but this is easily resolved with lube (hair conditioner).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No.

Material
    Cut
    Features
    Quality of manufacture

Take a UK built 'slab' suit made out of the minimum number of pieces, cheapo neo, cut legs/arms (no seals/zips)
    and sewn together in a shed whilst wearing boxing gloves. Now compare that with the output from Sweden

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    No.

Material
    Cut
    Features
    Quality of manufacture

Take a UK built 'slab' suit made out of the minimum number of pieces, cheapo neo, cut legs/arms (no seals/zips)
    and sewn together in a shed whilst wearing boxing gloves. Now compare that with the output from Sweden
    ok, so I have a waterproof 5mm and 7mm - which are great suits, but as my body shape has changed are probably not the best fitting suits to keep me warm. Would you recommend anything over the waterproof suits? What other suits are swedish?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    What John63 said.

Regarding fit, it's also about the cut of the suit. For some weird reason, Aqualung suits seem to be shaped to fit me perfectly. My old Bodyglove, less so, so I have to fill in the gaps a bit with a rash vest. As for brands, I think most modern designs of suits will be nice and warm. The days of stiff 5mm neoprene seem to be gone, thank goodness.
    Would you recommend aqualung suits?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John63 View Post
    No not all 5mm are the same.

better quality brands / better models within a supplier range will be warmer. Quality of stitching, seals at wrist, ankle, neck will all reduce flushing. Zip quality is important and also whether there are overlap flaps behind the zip. A well made semi dry should be the warmest.

However, as you already say, the fit is one of the key issues. A badly fitting loose suit will be cold whatever the quality.

I personally find that wearing a base layer as a vestor t-shirt such as Polarfleece / FE thermocline / Lavacore type reduces flusing and also helps when getting changed. The extra layer is supposed to be equivalent of 2-3mm of neoprene but without any bouyancy penalty. Not sure about that but defintley a bit warmer .
    Thanks, yes i already wear a lavacore, which are fine, but I think I would rather wear a decent suit that the lavacore set to keep warm. I also, find the lavacore takes a long time to dry and is heavy once wet. May be the lavacore is no longer a good fit for me either.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anyone tried/looked at the beauchat range?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    ok, so I have a waterproof 5mm and 7mm - which are great suits, but as my body shape has changed are probably not the best fitting suits to keep me warm. Would you recommend anything over the waterproof suits? What other suits are swedish?
    Neoprene stretches with use and has a memory so if you eat pies and then lose the weight again the suit
    won't go back to as was. If it fitted when you bought it the answer is to either get a suit that's your size
    or at a push can use other layers to take out the voids that have been created.

Voids allow flushing, so the suit is not against the skin and the water won't heat up like it should.
    Rash vest, small 1mm neo vest, lavacore loads of ways, but all depends how bad it is.

As for other brands, take your pick sizing/fit is everything, but I tend to favour a Mediterranean cut
    and the top semi-drys in those are almost pseudo drysuits.

Look at Mares, Cressi, Beauchat, Scubapro, O'Neil, Body-Glove, Aqualung
    Last edited by Tel; 30-09-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast