Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Fundies and tech1 was my route, others are available.

Probably the biggest advantage is that I have yet to meet a GUE T1 diver that I wouldn't be happy to be Insta buddied with for a 50 dive...

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MPW1964 View Post
    back my Swedish leviathan into a nasty site in Acton. I do so love delivering to London...
    <snip>
    given that as a Yorkshireman it hurts to spend any amount of money
    Swedish Leviathan
    Delivering to London
    Yorkshireman...

It's not a blue and white Scania is it?
    Do you have a minion onesie?
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Swedish Leviathan
    Delivering to London
    Yorkshireman...

It's a PUPPET!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Folks.

Am thinking about next yearsí holidays at the moment, assuming that neither Armageddon nor my death get here first...(Although Iíd pay good money to see Death astride a fiery charger )

Some of the places Iím contemplating are a shade deeper at 50-ish metres than my current qualifications, (PADI Rescue), so Iím wondering what to do about training for deeper diving. FWIW, I work away all week so weekends are precious, therefore I donít want to commit to a lot of weekends in a BSAC stylee, as it wouldnít be fair to my OH. Iím quite happy to do a couple of long weekendsí training, or maybe even a week, but not sure how best to proceed.

Thoughts or advice appreciated.
    I really don't know what peoples obsession with depth is ... form a wildlife point of view all the best stuff is usually in the shallows. Wrecks - I'd much rather do a two hour dive with no deco than a 10min dive with 1h50min deco. I have done more than 6h of deco but its really really got to be worth it for going deep.

I'd say 50m is no place for a sports/rec diver - if you are going to 50m do it properly (equipment and gas and plan) and stay there long enough to enjoy whatever was worth going to that depth for.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    [QUOTE=MPW1964;414597]Folks.

Am thinking about next yearsí holidays at the moment, assuming that neither Armageddon nor my death get here first...(Although Iíd pay good money to see Death astride a fiery charger )

Some of the places Iím contemplating are a shade deeper at 50-ish metres than my current qualifications, (PADI Rescue), so Iím wondering what to do about training for deeper diving. FWIW, I work away all week so weekends are precious, therefore I donít want to commit to a lot of weekends in a BSAC stylee, as it wouldnít be fair to my OH. Iím quite happy to do a couple of long weekendsí training, or maybe even a week, but not sure how best to proceed.

Thoughts or advice

Consider what training/experience YOU NEED to do the dives, that doesn't always match the course. . .

I would break it down by saying 50m dive gives me maybe 4 minutes bottom time before i hit deco.

1. To make the dive worth while i need to be able to plan for deco, gas consumption and failures.

That done then looking at the same dive at 50m now for 30 mins with my new deco knowledge i am looking at some 8000 litres of air.

To make it logistically viable i need to use a separate deco gas to speed up deco and provide enough gas volume to safely complete dive.

2. I need stage handling, gas switching and access to high o2 nitrox skills.

With those tidied away I would be saying how narced am I comfortable being when i have to manage the above processes underwater, bottom line is I have a gas with me that can kill me if I cock it up.

I want a clear head when making gas switches, it's one of the biggest killers of oc Tec divers, I don't need an increase in my base stupidity to stack the odds against me.

3. So consider using trimix...

You may well be comfortable with one or more of those and that will help you choose, if not the IANTD ART and equivalent courses will give you all three, deco, high 02 and HE, plus the plastic which you may be required to give to the holiday boats to do dives and get the gas.

You can self learn by taking baby steps, but it takes a long time (to do with a reasonable degree of safety), doesn't give you the plastic but doesn't cost with the caveat that you may miss something important...you don't know what you don't know etc.

You can go diving with someone who does this stuff already (actively!!!) and is willing to take you through everything. You can learn quick from a mentor and in your own time frame, no cost but no plastic.

You can bsac which is quicker but not quick and gives you plastic with moderate cost. The website lets you see locations, times and prices and lets you book now as well.

Iantd/tdi etc offer a single course which is 4 or 5 days so it's quick, gives you plastic, latest techniques etc and the cost is appropriate to that. Around £700 - £800.

I would have no hesitation in booking a week off work and spending the money to do a course with Ian France.

This coming from someone who refused to get the plastic to match their actual diving for 11 years. I did a course under duress as i wanted to do a trip which was plastic or sod off, however, some of the best pounds I have ever spent! Speak with Ian and explain what you want to achieve, top bloke couldn't recommend him more highly.

Mark Powell is active on here and is also excellent.

There are many other instructors across all agencies on here who will no doubt be along shortly but I have name dropped the chaps above from personal experience.

Where is the holiday?

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Swedish Leviathan
    Delivering to London
    Yorkshireman...

Yes, and yes.

*sigh*

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes, and yes.

*sigh*
    Sorry.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    It's a PUPPET!
    No it isn’t.

*bigger sigh*

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sorry.
    Not required, but thank you anyway.

Suffice it to say, a change was needed, and Mal was happy with it. And as I told Steelemonkey, if anyone is bothered by it, DILLIGAFF?? Because I honestly no longer do. I’m all out of fucks, so if anyone needs one, look elsewhere.

Anyroadup, back to talking about diving

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyroadup, back to talking about diving
    Well I can only hope you don't need to cross the channel next year.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...no-brexit-deal

Ooops read that as "driving"...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast