Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Packham manifesto

Chris Packham has a cunning plan to save the world or at least some nice bits of it - http://www.chrispackham.co.uk/wp-con...o-Download.pdf

There's lots to discuss and debate but the main bit for the dive community is the marine bit. PP52-3

I like a lot of it; making no fish areas and banning scallop dredging. I think some is unrealistic (cctv on boats). But it is not a bad first stab at it.

Should we get behind it? Should BSAC get their oar in?

What you think?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    He's got MCS instead of what I assume should be MSC, though both of them could do with a bloody good review. There's no mention of curbing all thetoxins currently pouring in from 'storm drains, farms and factories. There is already cctv on some fishing boats, it tends to get 'interference' at convenient points.

Yes we should get behind it, not sure that BSAC would make a lot of difference.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    SE15 has a manifesto?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    ... There is already cctv on some fishing boats, it tends to get 'interference' at convenient points.

Didn't know that - thanks. Yes, I would imagine it is something that might get sprayed with fish guts from time to time. The industry is corrupt to the core. Depressingly the no-fish zones around the world tend to get ignored by a large percentage of the industry. Of course when everyone else is breaking the rules and taking the piss then the decent folk gradually join in as they get nothing by doing the right thing. The really decent people just leave the industry and do something else.

My last, best, hope is that the crash of the marine ecosystem is the event needed to stop the current politio-economic system from destroying much of the planet's ability to support human life. Although I would prefer we didn't need that option.

I suspect these proposals will be so overshadowed with the B word that not much will happen.