Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyG View Post
    The problem with steels is people end up with too long a leash or and too big a bolt snap and they hang too low below the body and or legs.
    Yes. this is exactly what I found in the lake with my bodged up 12s. Horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyG View Post
    I really can't stress enough how your set up will make such a difference. If you are ever over in the UK (Scotland) diving happy to help you tweak your set up.
    Yup definitely going to make the effort to have another go. We are on the south coast so as far from Scotland as one can get until France. However, I love the diving in Scotland and would love to meet up one day. We last went up there (Puffin) about 10 years ago. I might have to move there after Brexit

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    These 200m Warmbac rope bags are brilliant for lugging heavy kit around. Can almost get the full sidemount setup in there (yeah, just use backmount..). That bag's also useful if stashing the kit on a boat (as in sailing boat where the bag stops them rolling around).

I found the 8.5 litre steel tins to be excellent. Right balance of weight out of the water and available gas. Steel tins means less lead, so donning and doffing the harness is easier, not to mention it's lighter to carry as ali tins are the same weight out of the water as steel, but need more lead to compensate for their buoyancy. Ali tins may require an adjustable harness D ring, or using two rings as they begin to float.

As Scotty's alluding to, some up front faffing makes for an easy life later.

Once confgured and practiced, it's just as quick and easy to don and doff as backmount.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    I found the 8.5 litre steel tins to be excellent. ..
    Can I ask, do you SM them? You have given me an idea - I could strip out my twins and try them in that configuration (if I can get blanking plugs) then rebuild the twins. I was thinking about trying with 7s but that means buying stuff and I tend never to get round to it.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Can I ask, do you SM them.
    Yes. Bought them explicitly for that. Much nicer than the twin 12s just in terms of the weight and manageability. Their length is perfect for trim.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    There were around 16 duvers in the quarry today when I went pit wanking. Out of that there were 3 x XCCRs, 2 x Visions, 2 x Hammerheads, my Lada and at least 3 sidemounters. The rest were "normal"
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wot, no-one diving sidemount CCR?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Wot, no-one diving sidemount CCR?
    1 of the HH guys had a Flex sidemount CCR
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Loads of sidemounters at NDAC today, wouldn't be surprised if the BM to SM ratio was near 1:1.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't dive in the UK any more, but have been diving in Mexico for the past 5 years, and the move from backmount to sidemount there has been really noticeable. I was at Cavecamp this year, and there were 5 of us backmounting this year, out of 31 divers. The rest were sidemount/rebreathers. At the first Cavecamp (3 years ago) it was more like 50:50.

Lanny also ran backmount experience dives, as some people had never dived a twinset/doubles before! On the prior Cavecamps he had just run sidemount experience days.

Having dived with people in backmount and sidemount, the kitting up time for sidemount is significantly longer, particularly when there is a long walk to the water. It the water, there is no doubt that it works very well.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Once practised, the kitting up time's not that different. You can get the wing on some time before the tins and only really need a gunwale to perch on to attach the tins.

Can walk a fair way with the sidemount tins attached, but it's a lot more uncomfortable than backmount as the weight's mainly held on the hip belt (it's lower than the backmount waist belt). If carting tins for any distance a nice Warmback 200 metre rope bag comes into its own. Or carrying the tins separately from your other kit.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast