Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Redbare and JJ

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by M-J-J View Post
    Thanks Graham, always read your responses with keen interest. Do you use a bov on your JJ?

You (and many others on the JJ) don't place co2 warning devices high up on ccr needs list, but doing the dive described above you are pushing the stack well beyond what manufacturers would suggest. How do you gauge where the limit is without going over it?

Cheers Matt
    You can gauge whether the limit is reasonable based on test conditions of CE test. How much to extrapolate is the million dollar question. I donít think the bells and whistles give anything than more to go wrong and false confidence.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    you're all being harsh. I watched a movie where these top cave divers were using sentinels and full face masks to do some amazing dives. though I don't think it ended well.

on a more serious note I've done a few one week trips where there have been sentinels being used and every sentinel spat the dummy at some point over the course of a week (TBF pre red bare). and a few week long trips where there have been lots of JJ's and I've never seen one spit the dummy.

And even though I think they are a tad over rated I just bought a JJ on that basis, and parting with cash is not something I do lightly.
    Last edited by MikeF; 14-09-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    If I was going again I would get a JJ, add a BOV and be done with it.

Of all the units I have seen, it is probably as close to factory spec as I would like. The SF2 & XCCR do look good too though but have not seen enough of them to make any educated opinion
    Last edited by Paulo; 15-09-2018 at 02:58 PM.
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by M-J-J View Post
    Which I hear a lot, and I'm not doubting you - but why?
    The RBare looks like a fridge, is that not good enough! I've never liked format of it but I would hope at least all the electronic issues were resolved - but frankly I don't know and won't be checking either.

The 3 I would look at are Liberty, JJ and Meg. They all have 2 things I don't like - they are not made in the UK and they don't have temp-sticks.

I could live with the UK thing, Liberty and JJ better than Meg for parts and service. But I can't live with the lack of a tempstick - for me it is such a good feature I won't be without it. So I'm stuck.

Cheers
    Matt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would say JJ but am aware that some of the Euro peoples are moving away from JJ to rEvo for some reason. I've never really fancied them but I know the owners are keen
    regards, Charlie

charliesez http://tinyurl.com/bjjus8g

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoggyBottoms View Post
    I would say JJ but am aware that some of the Euro peoples are moving away from JJ to rEvo for some reason. I've never really fancied them but I know the owners are keen
    What happens when they become proper Mares and they stop making tec units to focus on the rec market which internet rumour has indicated it will
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    What happens when they become proper Mares and they stop making tec units to focus on the rec market which internet rumour has indicated it will
    no idea Chap. I recall me an The Barry looking at one early doors talking to Paul's Dad an being very unimpressed. they have never appealed to me but I know that acolytes love them.
    back in the day it were Beatles / Stones, BCR / Gary Gritter, Oasis / Blur
    you'll have to goggle them you being a child
    regards, Charlie

charliesez http://tinyurl.com/bjjus8g

TDI/SDI Instructor Trainer
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    >I have managed to get my choice down to a JJ or Redbare.
    Both great units. I dive a JJ-CCR and that would be my choice of the two but there may be another option that is a better fit for the things you are looking for.

> I'm currently sitting in the Redbare camp as i am attracted by the triple co2 monitoring.
    XCCR has CO2 monitoring

>Neither units have a BOV which I had always placed an onus on, although given the co2 monitoring on the Redbare it doesn't seem that important. If it was the JJ I would want one without question to provide a method of managing full on co2 hit.
    XCCR has a BOV factory fitted

>I would much rather the Redbare had shearwater as I'm a keen user and fan of GF, but i do have a perdix which I could run on high GF as a fastest way to leave backup AND compass AND it's shiny ����.
    XCCR uses Shearwater and you can use your Perdix as your backup.

>JJ has ability to take any tanks, Redbare stuck with 2l cylinders. Am I missing something?
    Yes, XCCR can take any tanks

As soon as the CE certificate is confirmed I can do you a try dive but not before.
    Last edited by Mark Powell; 14-09-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    Mark Powell Dive-Tech: Technical Diver Training
    Deco For Divers by Mark Powell A divers guide to decompression theory and physiology
    Dive-Tech mailing list Join the mailing list and find out about upcoming trips, courses and other news

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Powell View Post
    >I have managed to get my choice down to a JJ or Redbare.
    Both great units. I dive a JJ-CCR and that would be my choice of the two but there may be another option that is a better fit for the things you are looking for.

> I'm currently sitting in the Redbare camp as i am attracted by the triple co2 monitoring.
    XCCR has CO2 monitoring

>Neither units have a BOV which I had always placed an onus on, although given the co2 monitoring on the Redbare it doesn't seem that important. If it was the JJ I would want one without question to provide a method of managing full on co2 hit.
    XCCR has a BOV factory fitted

>I would much rather the Redbare had shearwater as I'm a keen user and fan of GF, but i do have a perdix which I could run on high GF as a fastest way to leave backup AND compass AND it's shiny ����.
    XCCR uses Shearwater and you can use your Perdix as your backup.

>JJ has ability to take any tanks, Redbare stuck with 2l cylinders. Am I missing something?
    Yes, XCCR can take any tanks

As soon as the CE certificate is confirmed I can do you a try dive but not before.
    Every time I get within touching distance of deciding! Haha. Will PM you Mark.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When I got my JJ I had narrowed it down to that and AP.

All the extras available like the tempstick, co2 detection, BOV made the AP seem better but the plastic case and the then mono display were killers. Also everyone seems to mess about with them so the ones on boats look like they are trying to be JJs.

Apart from the BOV I donít miss the extras and now I have a BOV anyway. When I tried an Inspiration I was disappointed by the temp stick, it seemed more like it just confirmed there was a scrubber rather than exactly where you were in the scrubber. The co2 monitoring seems to have been a bit of a saga.

Diving suffers from a lot of overthinking. It is easy to persuade yourself in an armchair that something is required which is not.

Non features, not in the sales push, turn out to matter. How hard is it to change the sorb? Are there bits you can easily leave out by accident doing that? Does the head sit nicely out of the unit to dry off?

I like my JJ. I have had one actual failure where the ADV isolation valve died. That was at home setting up and checking the unit a weekend prior to diving and I had a replacement by the Tuesday. The HUD got squashed recently which was expensive (£250) and annoying (how hard is it to give a f**k when filling cylinders on a boat?) but didnít actually loose any dives. Although I borrowed a single in the end, it is possible to reconfigure a headless JJ as a side mount OC setup...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast