Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Redbare and JJ

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Redbare and JJ

Evening all,

I am about to purchase a new rebreather for the first time to replace the Classic and I have managed to get my choice down to a JJ or Redbare.

I'm currently sitting in the Redbare camp as i am attracted by the triple co2 monitoring. Although the JJ is a superb unit it's simplicity has me moving towards the VMS offering as it provides early warning safety kit and whilst I appreciate that may well be more to go wrong, you can always switch off the additional safety devices and run it 'simple' anyway.

Neither units have a BOV which I had always placed an onus on, although given the co2 monitoring on the Redbare it doesn't seem that important. If it was the JJ I would want one without question to provide a method of managing full on co2 hit.

I would much rather the Redbare had shearwater as I'm a keen user and fan of GF, but i do have a perdix which I could run on high GF as a fastest way to leave backup AND compass AND it's shiny 😁😁.

JJ has ability to take any tanks, Redbare stuck with 2l cylinders. Although given that on any big dive there would be offboard o2 and bailout in large capacity cylinders, does having an extra litre or so of o2 or dil onboard really make a massive difference? Yes I could plug in a 7l o2 on the JJ but if i need that much then the redundancy of splitting it over different cylinders seems prudent regardless. Am I missing something?

Keen to hear from any Redbare owners, reliability? Average service costs? Any niggles or things you would change?

Anyone have experience of both? If so what conclusion have you drawn between the two?

Before the flaming starts please remember I am talking about the VMS Redbare not the VR Sentinel 😂😂😂

Cheers Matt

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would say look at who is diving both units and what dives they are doing with them. I have no idea what the red bare is doing (that may indicate something) but the jj is being used by divers around the world doing proper dives. I have personally done bottom times in excess of 1h below 100m with JJ and never felt need for triple co2 monitoring...
    Last edited by graham_hk; 14-09-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was in a similar situation 9 months ago, had narrowed it down to the same 2 units. I went for the Redbare but it was a close call.

So far, the 2ltr cylinders haven't been a concern, I use about 50bar on an hour's dive, and still reducing as I improve my control.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know less than the square root of FA about both units, but thought that unless end tidal co2 is monitored even with co2 sensors on board a hit is still a possibility.

I guess co2 monitoring helps if you have, a minor leak, channelling or are close to breakthrough?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Graham, always read your responses with keen interest. Do you use a bov on your JJ?

You (and many others on the JJ) don't place co2 warning devices high up on ccr needs list, but doing the dive described above you are pushing the stack well beyond what manufacturers would suggest. How do you gauge where the limit is without going over it?

Cheers Matt

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks spirit - any regrets? Glad I'm not by myself here haha
    Last edited by M-J-J; 14-09-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Specificity

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    JJ, no brainer.

If you're considering RBare then you're thinking too much.

Cheers
    Matt.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    JJ, no brainer.

Cheers
    Matt.
    Which I hear a lot, and I'm not doubting you - but why?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    JJ, no brainer.

Cheers
    Matt.
    ditto

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    JJ one word simplicity

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast