Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Twinset - Fine tuned buoyancy; adding 2kg for the 2nd dive?

I've seen a couple of people do this now and it's just madness to me so I thought I'd post about it...
    On a 2-dive day with twinsets, my buddy tells me on the 2nd dive buddy check about some extra weight or a weight belt which wasn't present on the first dive.
    They were going in on the fist dive with enough weight for half full cylinders, but not enough to keep them down when empty.

Does anyone else do this?

If I had a manifold or 2nd stage failure at the ascent time of dive, I can easily see myself losing a quarter of my gas before shutting down completely, even with a perfect shutdown drill.
    I weight myself for empty cylinders on every dive, it means I'm overweight on the first dive of the day but to me it's better than risking over-buoyancy during an incident.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Never heard of that before.

So on the first dive if their plan went tits up of they needed to donate gas to a buddy and used more gas than expected they might not have enough weight? Seems like a bad idea to me.

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Agreed. Shit plan....

Although I have forgotten a weight belt and cuffed the first dive without one in the past, and worried about it all dive.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Shit plan but if it's no deco stuff, probably not going to kill them.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2cool View Post
    Never heard of that before.

So on the first dive if their plan went tits up of they needed to donate gas to a buddy and used more gas than expected they might not have enough weight? Seems like a bad idea to me.
    Yup - It's the 2nd person I've come across with the same idea! First person missed a stop because they forgot to add the weight on the 2nd dive.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    Agreed. Shit plan....

Although I have forgotten a weight belt and cuffed the first dive without one in the past, and worried about it all dive.
    Ha - that is a horrible feeling... When I dived with a belt I would usually remember it during buddy check and have to do the shuffle-of-shame as I try to thread it through my crotch strap and under my back plate while my buddy rolls their eyes.

Sounds like there is no good reason and no reasonable mitigation for this, glad I wasn't missing anything... Hopefully it will dissuade anyone else form having the same bright idea.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That sounds a bit farm animal stupid to me. If they have a problem that means they lose all their gas, go on to sharing a buddy's gas, but then can't hold a stop.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've had this nonsense from a very 'senior' diver in our club.
    "It works for him", "it's obvious" and "I worry too much".
    This is the same guy who was too light at 6m and I ended up unwinding his DSMB line from his gear so we could get him back in the RIB.
    I think he thought that was my fault too because 'rebreather'.
    He has asked how much extra deco he's going to have to do with me on the rebreather when I read the profile as no-stop.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    That sounds a bit farm animal stupid to me. If they have a problem that means they lose all their gas, go on to sharing a buddy's gas, but then can't hold a stop.
    I think next time I'm going to have to explain they can't dive that configuration as I only have a 6' octo, and I need it to be at least 5m for the 'light on the fist dive' setup so they can breathe all the way the the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel hewitt View Post
    I've had this nonsense from a very 'senior' diver in our club.
    "It works for him", "it's obvious" and "I worry too much".
    This is the same guy who was too light at 6m and I ended up unwinding his DSMB line from his gear so we could get him back in the RIB.
    I think he thought that was my fault too because 'rebreather'.
    He has asked how much extra deco he's going to have to do with me on the rebreather when I read the profile as no-stop.
    Excellent - I was beginning to think I was the only one who had experienced this! Where did this idea come from?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManualOverride View Post
    I think next time I'm going to have to explain they can't dive that configuration as I only have a 6' octo, and I need it to be at least 5m for the 'light on the fist dive' setup so they can breathe all the way the the surface.

sorted