Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 629 of 635 FirstFirst ... 129529579619627628629630631 ... LastLast
Results 6,281 to 6,290 of 6345
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    The coalition, while it did work to reign in some of the excesses of the Tories, has had the effect of reducing the Lib Dem's (who were becoming an important third party) to a sideline party (dropping from 23% pre coalition to below 8% after it and dropping their seats from 57 to 8) as they were seen to compromise on too many things.
    I'll say was the best government in my lifetime. Sadly so few other people saw (or wanted to see) that.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by F.P. View Post
    I'll say was the best government in my lifetime. Sadly so few other people saw (or wanted to see) that.
    I actually think it did work very well with it being a move towards consensus politics instead of one side vs the other.

Sadly unless there is a vote in parliament to change the electoral system from First Past The Post to something else such as PR, STV etc there is little or no chance of UK politics becoming more consensus based.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    I actually think it did work very well with it being a move towards consensus politics instead of one side vs the other.

Sadly unless there is a vote in parliament to change the electoral system from First Past The Post to something else such as PR, STV etc there is little or no chance of UK politics becoming more consensus based.
    The coalition had one good thing - it had a vote on a different system to the current one. That was the "price" the LDs charged the Tories for their backing. The vote was to keep the first past the post system. I doubt another vote on this issue any time soon.

As the climate catastrophe worsens I think we can look forward to more authoritarian governance and more lies. (So more Tories )
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisch View Post
    as the climate catastrophe worsens i think we can look forward to more authoritarian governance and more lies. (so more politicians)
    ftfy
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Winning a referendum on electoral reform was always going to be difficult (too many of the public taken in by the nonsense arguments in favour of FPTP) but I do wonder if the LD got thoroughly played. From the timing, choice and even wording on the ballot. The best chance at reform should have been the hill they were willing to die on. Who knows what was said behind doors but I would have applauded if they walked away from coalition if they couldn't secure a referendum on promising terms.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Sadly, I have a horrible feeling that there are far too many that feel more akin to the far right than to the centre.

IMHO they have reached this point by a constant diet of bile about others they perceive as below them and so they detest them and believe that they are being dragged down by them so they want to cut them off. The suppliers of the bile are the newspapers that are pushing that agenda to protect their owners wealth and power base.
    The newspapers and the amateur activists that share every carefully prepared graphic or meme on Facebook to get everyone get up about those nasty lefties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Winning a referendum on electoral reform was always going to be difficult (too many of the public taken in by the nonsense arguments in favour of FPTP) but I do wonder if the LD got thoroughly played. From the timing, choice and even wording on the ballot. The best chance at reform should have been the hill they were willing to die on. Who knows what was said behind doors but I would have applauded if they walked away from coalition if they couldn't secure a referendum on promising terms.
    The Tories were always going to game it so they could get their way. The LD were just useful idiots in this process. The Tory party is incredibly clever at staying in power at any cost, even if it means booting Churchill's grandson out the party.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w View Post
    The newspapers and the amateur activists that share every carefully prepared graphic or meme on Facebook to get everyone get up about those nasty lefties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not being fully versed in Union issues I was laughing into my coffee this morning when the news reported the 4 candidates put forward to replace Len McCluskey. First 2 guys were favoured by him (so I am led to believe by the media...), preferred candidate 1 was knocked out immediately for saying something unpleasant about Priti Patel....but has put his name behind candidate 2 and is now the front runner. Female candidate not really mentioned.

Candidate 4 was the guy who ran against McCluskey at the previous election and came a close 2nd. He is referred to in some quarters, mostly media I suspect as the "Right Wing" candidate. When they spoke to the gentleman concerned directly on this issue he was genuinely perplexed as he said "I was supported in my last campaign by the SWP!"

Left/Right - you're 'avin a laugh mate.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-58100694

Nice to see that "Getting our country back" and "Regaining control of our borders" is going so well.