Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 627 of 635 FirstFirst ... 127527577617625626627628629 ... LastLast
Results 6,261 to 6,270 of 6343
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I very much support the idea of the green party, but unfortunately every member I've met locally is at best a well meaning knit your own muesli type and at worst someone UKIP would turn down. We did a beach clean with them at Yarmouth once and their councillor was constantly trying to get 'donations' from the rest of us. He didn't like me when I was angry.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I very much support the idea of the green party, but unfortunately every member I've met locally is at best a well meaning knit your own muesli type and at worst someone UKIP would turn down. We did a beach clean with them at Yarmouth once and their councillor was constantly trying to get 'donations' from the rest of us. He didn't like me when I was angry.
    Maybe it's time the rest of us influenced them rather than just watched from the side-lines. All groups have their "Captain Mainwaring" usually because nobody else wants to step up to the plate and push the better agenda.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    This is a major problem. The truth (unpleasant as it is) is that environmentalism (whatever that is) is a fringe issue. This is why I had (under duress) to vote Labour last election. The "Green New Deal" was the best shot for bringing this into the thinking of the masses.

In an ideal world we would have PR and a range of "greenish" options. The UK system does not allow for this and really - if we are honest - is a straight choice between a shitty, disunited, floundering Labour party or the rather unpleasant murder your children hate the planet BlueKIP that are currently in power. Having absorbed the kippers and their anti-environmentalist climate change denier stance the present government is really struggling to get any traction of climate issues with the handful of people left in the party that give a shit. IMHO this was and is still a factor of the anti-immigration driven stupidity that is Brexit.

It is too late to wait for the issue of EU membership to ice over as we now are very close to the point at which only massive intervention will save us from climate catastrophe. The absolute last thing in the world we need now is a small-state non-interventionist fruit loop government committed to leaving things "to the market". Basically we are fucked. Over the pond I can see the Texans trying to kill all human life despite the best efforts of Biden. My best guess is there is gonna be some shootin'
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post

True, but mostly they are.

Predictably blinkered and reliable response from our own special forum version, just to illustrate the point.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by divechick View Post
    Who cares? Left/Right wing, what rubbish - constantly spouted, totally misunderstood and overused. The planet and climate change should be our only concern and to that end environmental parties such as the Green Party are the only ones we should be supporting.
    Abso-bloody-lutely, re right wing/ left wing. Still waiting keenly for the green party to step forward with a candidate worth voting for...
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Abso-bloody-lutely, re right wing/ left wing. Still waiting keenly for the green party to step forward with a candidate worth voting for...
    My point being exactly that. It is up to the rest of society to start putting the most skilled, eloquent and knowledgeable people forward for the job rather than waiting for the right person to miraculously arrive. "They", the mysterious "they" will not do something about it because "they" are a figment of our imaginations and obfuscation.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The T.May election I considered voting for the Green Party 'till I red the documentation after a visit from the local chappie. So pissed off I chased him down the street and asked him why if they are the Green Party why are supporting big families? 'Cause in my opinion that is the biggest cause of damage to the environment. His only answer - big families means more tax revenues.
    Couldn't see that more humans means a greater use of resources.
    I don't see that they changed that stance. I don't see anything green in those policies.

I'll vote for the first party that turns round and says we will tax families with more than 2 births - no matter how much the family income is. As a part of that they also sort out the pensions business and everyone has to buy they own pension and the state one is a 'top-up'.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by F.P. View Post
    The T.May election I considered voting for the Green Party 'till I red the documentation after a visit from the local chappie. So pissed off I chased him down the street and asked him why if they are the Green Party why are supporting big families? 'Cause in my opinion that is the biggest cause of damage to the environment. His only answer - big families means more tax revenues.
    I don't see that they changed that stance. I don't see anything green in those policies.

I'll vote for the first party that turns round and says we will tax families with more than 2 births - no matter how much the family income is. As a part of that they also sort out the pensions business and everyone has to buy they own pension and the state one is a 'top-up'.
    Again, perhaps if you had fed back to the Green Party HQ your utter disgust they might have taken note. Chasing the guy down your path probably didn't get fed back - it was probably the 40th irrate homeowner or dog he'd faced that week.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by divechick View Post
    Again, perhaps if you had fed back to the Green Party HQ your utter disgust they might have taken note. Chasing the guy down your path probably didn't get fed back - it was probably the 40th irrate homeowner or dog he'd faced that week.
    I doorstepped and leafleted at 6 general elections, and a few council elections.
    Only once, have I been threatened or chased from the door step; that was in Warrington 2001.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by F.P. View Post

The problem with this is that someone else will disagree and vote for another party that gives money to people with children. Equally people in receipt of family allowances will not want it taken away. What is needed (well IMPO) is to address the critical issue of fossil CO2 and worry about all the other shit later. FWIW I agree that having 2+ kids should be discouraged. Personally I would say the number of children a person has should be of no consequence to their tax or their welfare payments.

The issue of global population is a very big wall of shit to hide behind for the many that really do not want to address the real problem - fossil CO2.

Don't worry about pensions we don't have that long a future.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.