Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 578 of 635 FirstFirst ... 78478528568576577578579580588628 ... LastLast
Results 5,771 to 5,780 of 6345
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Same here.... someone else suggested similar a few pages back, found it odd how quickly it/he was ridiculed
    +1

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In 1992 our first job in haulage was to load bins of components from Phillips in Leicestershire for delivery to their plant in Austria reload was finished products back to Leicestershire. Move on to 2006 our last jobs were to load Britain car baby seats made in Andover for delivery to Ulm in Germany
    , unload drive to opposite side of warehouse & load Britain car baby seat back to Andover !
    All because import / export tax system made it profitable for companies to do it.
    All the time the system is there this will happen as companies answer to shareholders
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinicky View Post
    All the time the system is there this will happen as companies answer to shareholders
    Yes, the problem is capitalism not population or the inability of any normal person to see the bleeding obvious. One rather obvious way to decrease the profitability of shipping shit about pointlessly is to increase the cost of shipping by punitive taxes on automotive fuels. However this suggestion seems rather unpopular for some reason.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    i personally make a point of buying British produce as I do not want to buy produce that has racked up air miles getting here. ....
    Since the vote I have made a point of buying only French butter and cheese and avoiding buying stuff from a community that voted to leave. The answer to air miles is to stop flying.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Genuinely interested in the answer, hoping that I will be pleasantly surprised (and understood, you probably have no idea re Brooks, but with your own experience/calcs to the question).... can you hand on heart say that total CO2 emissions, ie supply to end delivery for transport involved, are also reduced as a result, has that study been done, does it/would it factor in the decision making process? I guess total fuel consumption of the two models would be a provide a rough indication??
    For us, absolutely the more sustainable option. My business is built around sustainable food - currently 95% plant based and 80% organic across all our product ranges. Minimal carbon footprint is also a major factor when we look at our supply chain - obviously we can't eliminate CO2 emissions but we plan around full trucks/containers, back-hauls etc to minimise. We've modelled the carbon footprint on both consolidation and ex works for the UK factory - consolidation with imported products both from our European factories and other manufacturers into depots is far better. Our biggest challenge is sourcing raw materials sustainably as we don't grow a lot of tea or herbs in the UK. We do what we can to offset the CO2 by using the most effective outbound supply chain that we can. It wasn't a one off exercise - we constantly review and adjust. Shipping air is unsustainable on an environmental and financial level.
    Tea Boy

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Still struggle to understand why the current rush to hybrid has any benefit.

Current 5 year old diesel SUV(s) do just about 50mpg. The 'new' version of this model with the pointless hybrid battery, petrol engine and pathetic CV automatic do 35mpg have slower acceleration (12+s compared with 9.9s) and also cost a whopping 30% more than the diesel.

Comparing the older diesel at 148g/km to petrolHybrid at 154g/km; the diesel wins on CO2 emissions, performance and running costs.

What I can't find out is the manufacturing CO2 "cost". I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the Hybrid will be considerably higher than the simple diesel purely because of the additional components.

We all understand why a plug-in hybrid is better; it should do more miles on electricity from the middle-class home with the electric pipe to fill the car with electricity. But what's the point of "Self-charging Hybrids"?

Would it not be better to simply sling, say, a 50% tax on new vehicles to stop so many being built and for old ones to be kept longer (quick note about the PCP finance is pertinent - keep for 3 years and get another new one, so green). This would reduce the major source of CO2 which is making the damn things in the first place -- this is omitted in all the posts on this subject thus far.

Then wait for self-driving electric vehicles within the next 30 years which would eliminate the need to own the things. Kind of like a taxi without the driver.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Still struggle to understand why the current rush to hybrid has any benefit....
    It is a great boon to those that wish to feel smug and superior.

Would it not be better to simply sling, say, a 50% tax on new vehicles to stop so many being built and for old ones to be kept longer (quick note about the PCP finance is pertinent - keep for 3 years and get another new one, so green). This would reduce the major source of CO2 which is making the damn things in the first place -- this is omitted in all the posts on this subject thus far.
    The big driver (forgive me) of new car sales is the needs of the finance industry to tie you into those lucrative deals. The actual manufacturers make very little margin. Electric cars are government subsidised and should cost about twice the actual forecourt amount (roughly I think, it is very dynamic).

You are correct that the manufacture of new vehicles is a major source of CO2 output. You and I have discussed this before and I have posted that fact. My understanding is that the CO2 from electric cars is about 30% more than an ICE (again dynamic) and that the whole life CO2 of an electric car is predicted at 80% that of an ICE due to the greater "efficiency". The efficiency is the capture of braking energy to be released as forward motion later. This is how and why "self charging" vehicles are more efficient (to answer your question). This efficiency gain is greatest if the driving style is heavy on braking (towns). So, at risk of repeating myself, the electric car is good for towns and cites and it's primary benefit is air pollution reduction not CO2 reduction.

An older well maintained vehicle is saving CO2 by displacing the need to buy new. It is however causing air pollution and thus killing people. This is a factor of the volatile hydrocarbon fuel and can be remedied by a vegetable based alternative.

It is a complex situation and the simple answer of electric cars is not the correct answer.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timw View Post
    For us, absolutely the more sustainable option. My business is built around sustainable food - currently 95% plant based and 80% organic across all our product ranges. Minimal carbon footprint is also a major factor when we look at our supply chain - obviously we can't eliminate CO2 emissions but we plan around full trucks/containers, back-hauls etc to minimise. We've modelled the carbon footprint on both consolidation and ex works for the UK factory - consolidation with imported products both from our European factories and other manufacturers into depots is far better. Our biggest challenge is sourcing raw materials sustainably as we don't grow a lot of tea or herbs in the UK. We do what we can to offset the CO2 by using the most effective outbound supply chain that we can. It wasn't a one off exercise - we constantly review and adjust. Shipping air is unsustainable on an environmental and financial level.
    That's so good to hear/read

Do you mind sharing the company?
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    this is why I have one child - I do find it a bit of missing wood for trees when people claim to be "environmental" with 3+ children
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    +pets
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    All offset by the electric car ...
    .......and an AGA
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Still struggle to understand why the current rush to hybrid has any benefit.
    For me, beyond the environmental concerns, it was a combination of the published official mileage of 155mpg, along with the no noise driving when driving in full electric... would've been great for filming in general, we also had a couple of jobs lined up, including filming Guy Martin cycling around Goodwood for 24 hours, where on paper it would have been perfect.

Turns out the published milage was based on an EU requirement to test the car for a fixed mileage (30 miles if memory serves) when full of fuel... fuel included battery, so the petrol engine was barely used.

Mitsubushi knew the car wasn't capable of that sort of mileage in real terms, but the EU legislation meant they weren't allowed to say anything different.

Unfortunately I had faith that the EU legislation would ensure reasonably reliable figures.
    Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 03-01-2021 at 05:38 PM.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell