X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim Digger
    Prior Member
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Paulo
    I had COVID. I had 2 subsequent antibody tests to measure my immunity, more out of interest than anything else. The antibody levels were very low and falling.

On Saturday just gone I had my 2nd vaccine.

As I tell anyone that will listen, having had COVID, it is not something I would recommend and if getting a jab is on offer, it is a much better way to get antibodies.

The last stat that I saw was that Ireland are at nearly 80% of adults fully vaccinated. I think there should be a cut off date where if you have not been vaccinated by date X then you should be refused treatment when you get ill. It wont happen but it is what I would like to see happen
    I thought your antibodies they were interested in were IgM which is the acute short term response and would be expected to fall once infection gone, you were tested to see if you were still infected though it's only an indicator not cast iron proof. Ig G levels persist in a majority of people for months. It's never that simple though and a natural infection produces a wider pool of antibody response it seems and is a good basis to build on. I guess some people just don't produce a good response provided those you mentioned James had actually had it well verified by PCR.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Comment

• Paulo
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tim Digger
      I thought your antibodies they were interested in were IgM which is the acute short term response and would be expected to fall once infection gone, you were tested to see if you were still infected though it's only an indicator not cast iron proof. Ig G levels persist in a majority of people for months. It's never that simple though and a natural infection produces a wider pool of antibody response it seems and is a good basis to build on. I guess some people just don't produce a good response provided those you mentioned James had actually had it well verified by PCR.
      It was my IgG that was very low and dropping
      If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
        bottlefish
        • Dec 2012

There are now serious studies that show that having Covid is as good as having vaccination, however you do need to be sure you have had it. And that includes illness ,positive PCR and antibodies demonstrated. That said there is also now evidence that vaccination post covid infection produces an improvement in antibody levels and increased protection. I have a good friend still working in the NHS who had Covid during the first wave, well documented and who held off vaccination as part of a study on duration of immunity, he has now had vaccine as the trial has finished. So for the future you are best off having Covid and vaccination, always assuming you survive the first infection. I shall certainly be having a booster vaccination as soon as it is offered.
        I know it's not what you mean, but just have to say, there is nothing good about having Covid.

Over 4 months since I had it, my fitness levels are still screwed. Although at least I'm still here to grumble about it
        Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• Tim Digger
          Prior Member
          • Feb 2013

This is a small study and illustrates the difficulty in carrying out cutting edge measurements in a still new disease at large volume. Re Fitness I think there are all sorts of levels of loss of fitness and reasons some just ageing some life style and some Covid related to infection or restrictions on lifestyle.
          Still the combination of natural infection and vaccination seems to offer hope for at least some of the human race becoming effectively and rapidly immune. Plagues of all sorts in the past have taken decades to resolve to a draw between virus and human with thousands of lives shortened. (Please note I do not use terms such as lives lost or saved we all die once!)
          Tim Digger

Comment

• Tim Digger
            Prior Member
            • Feb 2013

It was my IgG that was very low and dropping
            You might well have been in the group getting second infections, glad youhave had vaccine as well as your infection!
            Tim Digger

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
              bottlefish
              • Dec 2012

Re Fitness I think there are all sorts of levels of loss of fitness and reasons some just ageing some life style and some Covid related to infection or restrictions on lifestyle.
              Yep, I think the sedentary lifestyle we've all been pushed into through lockdown will have taken its toll on more than a few...
              For myself, I actually up'd my training during lockdown (and was doing 4 hours a week minimum before that). Although again, glad that I did, how much worse would I have been otherwise... Will be interesting to see how long it takes to recover though
              Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• Paulo
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Stuart Keasley
                Yep, I think the sedentary lifestyle we've all been pushed into through lockdown will have taken its toll on more than a few...
                For myself, I actually up'd my training during lockdown (and was doing 4 hours a week minimum before that). Although again, glad that I did, how much worse would I have been otherwise... Will be interesting to see how long it takes to recover though
                Same as myself. I had surgery just before COVID and upped my training significantly afterwards.

I ran a half marathon the day I was infected in under 5min per km pace. 3 days later, it was a serious effort to put on socks. I have not been able to get my cardio back to the same level as preinfection
                If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
                  bottlefish
                  • Dec 2012

Same as myself. I had surgery just before COVID and upped my training significantly afterwards.

I ran a half marathon the day I was infected in under 5min per km pace. 3 days later, it was a serious effort to put on socks. I have not been able to get my cardio back to the same level as preinfection
                  Hopefully though, if anything like me, you're seeing improvements?

Gotta be kind to yourself, forget about how far you fell, focus on how far you've come since you got back on your feet. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway

Comment

• Tim Digger
                    Prior Member
                    • Feb 2013

I think the important thing is to do as much as you can every day, without doing so much it knackers you. Easier said than done I know.
                    Tim Digger

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
                      bottlefish
                      • Dec 2012

I think the important thing is to do as much as you can every day, without doing so much it knackers you. Easier said than done I know.
                      Oops, that was meant to be a like... sorry!

Comment

• Jay_Benson
                        Confused? You will be.
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Stuart Keasley
                        Oops, that was meant to be a like... sorry!
                        I’ve added a like to counteract your dislike.
                        Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
                          bottlefish
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Jay_Benson
                          I’ve added a like to counteract your dislike.
                          I was very very careful on that last one

Comment

• steelemonkey
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

Next!

Authorities are racing to trace anyone who may have been in contact with Marburg, a haemorrhagic virus with a fatality rate as high as 88pc
                            Paul.
                            If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
                            Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

• Jay_Benson
                              Confused? You will be.
                              • Dec 2012

I have finally realised that there is a benefit from Brexit.

Given the shit show that we have after being involved to an extent with the EU for less than 50 years how big a pigs ear will the impact of Scotland going independent have one the Scottish economy - oddly, I suspect the the Tories won’t take that tack if there is another referendum.
                              Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Comment

• ManualOverride
                                Established TDF Member
                                • Jul 2017

Saw this and thought of you guys:
                                Brexit is actually going really well so far insisted the government today, as the country runs out of fuel, food, and workers, while enjoying ongoing struggles with border control and a lack of a t…

Hope everyone is well.

Comment

Working...