Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 499 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Memes, don't forget the memes.

If you want to claim the moral high ground, and take a swipe at others in the same post; remember how little of substance you added to the debate.
    There was a sequel to Groundhog Day? Good Grief...............
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    I don’t know much of politics, other than democracy has failed, but for me, as a diver and marine biologist, a bankrupt fishing industry sounds like a positive to me.
    Sadly - whilst I share the sentiment - I doubt it will do much for marine conservation. The problem is that the fish round our coasts are not the white fish we eat in the chippie. We import huge amounts and export huge amounts. All that will happen is the foreign fishermen will catch the UK stocks. The current scallop wars about UK fishermen fishing in French waters is a case in point. The huge Canadian owned Scottish dredger that has routinely been fined for undersized catch is there to hoover up the stocks the French are trying to protect. I am sure the Canadian owners will want to transfer the home port to France or Spain post Brexit.

The guys that will go bust are the small local boats. The Cornish crabbers that unload into the waiting Spanish fridge lorries. Those wagons cannot sit in customs for a day, they need to be heading down the motorway to Spain belching out CO2.

I used to buy fish from the quayside in Newhaven when we lived in Hayward's Heath. All the decent catch from the three boats they ran went on the ferry to Dieppe. We bought small John Dory and Turbot for peanuts. The woman there would keep back anything if we wanted it but it was earmarked for France. I was happy with the small stuff - better than throwing it back dead. Plaice at 50p each. Without that export market I cannot see how they can run three boats.

I too hope it will relieve some of the pressure. If it does at least one good thing will have come from this idiocy.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Evans View Post
    There was a sequel to Groundhog Day? Good Grief...............
    Yes. It was exactly the same as the original.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Yes. It was exactly the same as the original.
    So a bit like politicians lying over and over and over and over and some very stange people falling for it, over and over and over? A bit like that?
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Memes, don't forget the memes.

If you want to claim the moral high ground, and take a swipe at others in the same post; remember how little of substance you added to the debate.
    I will reply to this one post ONLY and will then retreat for fear of assisting the likes of yourself in hijacking a worthwhile thread. You simply cannot help yourself can you!
    I made no attempt to claim ground of any sort. That assertion really is quite pathetic. As is the assumpion I’m taking a “swipe”. You’re correct I added little to the ‘debate’ because, as I made plain, I and many others became sick and tired of the continual personal insults. To have an opposing view to some here appears to be intolerable. I guess my hope and optimism for this attempt is misplaced. So very sad that nonsense has prevailed already and in less than a dozen posts. Congratulations to you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pointless exercise.

The only likely hood of getting a n other vote of any kind is if it increases the likely hood of a no deal.

I made the opinion previously that I could see no scope for a deal, there are that many groups (or ducks) that have to be lined up in unison, any one of which can veto the deal, now parliament want a yes or no vote on a take it or leave it deal, a public vote is just another option of "this or nothing".

That makes it something like 29:1 in favour of nothing.

There is no deal.

Just winding the clock down.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pointless exercise.

The only likely hood of getting a n other vote of any kind is if it increases the likely hood of a no deal.

I made the opinion previously that I could see no scope for a deal, there are that many groups (or ducks) that have to be lined up in unison, any one of which can veto the deal, now parliament want a yes or no vote on a take it or leave it deal, a public vote is just another option of "this or nothing".

That makes it something like 29:1 in favour of nothing.

There is no deal.

Just winding the clock down.
    If enough MP's thought they would be voted out they may just change their views? Turkeys? Christmas?
    Its a long shot, they are lying toads, but hey, its worth a go???

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    I don’t know much of politics, other than democracy has failed, but for me, as a diver and marine biologist, a bankrupt fishing industry sounds like a positive to me.
    I don't understand the "democracy has failed" part. Can you elaborate a little?

As for the fishing industry going bankrupt, I fear that will only be "positive" for the marine environment when all of the industry has gone bankrupt but by then, the sea will be stripped of anything we can use from it that was alive. If the UK industry dies, others will simply move in and take over, and our fisheries will be hammered by them. It's a race to the bottom and we as a species are pros at this kind of game.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    If enough MP's thought they would be voted out they may just change their views? Turkeys? Christmas?
    As I'm always saying, if you choose to do something, you might achieve nothing, but if you choose not to, you guarantee you'll achieve nothing. You have nothing to lose but a little time and an email in your sent items box. Then, we're all all back to the wattle-and-daub longhouses, sitting around the open fire, you can think back to the days when we had email, electricity and the internet, and say "at least I tried to avert this!".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Local MP was remain, the area was strongly Brexit.
    Likely that he will be deselected at the next GE, having been MP since 2001: Not Corbyn enough.

Most of the local population have no thoughts on Brexit other than "kick the Poles out" (insert other ethnic groups as preference ), few will have bothered to read any of the technical notes from either the EU or (note) GB inc.

As I`ve said before, this mess is 44 years of abject failure of the UK government and politicians with regards to influencing or engaging with the EU.
    Expecting those same bodies to either change, or improve on the current situation, is a little too optimistic in my view.

Page 2 of 499 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast