Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 478 of 497 FirstFirst ... 378428468476477478479480488 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,780 of 4970
  1. #4771
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    7,651
    Likes (Given)
    720
    Likes (Received)
    3302
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    The turkeys could well be getting the Xmas they voted for.
    I don't think they celebrate it? Eid Mubarak.

    https://www.fordotosan.com.tr/en/ope...uction/exports

  2. #4772
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    2,534
    Likes (Given)
    759
    Likes (Received)
    1257
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Makes you wonder if they are compensating for something.
    They would have enjoyed visiting the establishment across the road from our hotel - the Iceland Penis museum. I kid you not!

    https://phallus.is/en/

  3. #4773
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    1,955
    Likes (Given)
    696
    Likes (Received)
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Given your northerly aspect it probably isn't. However it is not expensive - a full kit is about 3 grand. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4kW-24V...MAAOSwNy9dC490

    The big pisser was feed in tariffs which the Tories made unviable. However if you live here in the South there is a much better viability. Ultimately it is daylight and so day length that determines the cost-benefit of PV for households.
    I am 100% sure about location being a huge factor in the viability however in order to make a significant impact the technology needs to be viable for a larger proportion of the population.

    The problem comes with fitting something like that. Most people (including me) would need it to be installed in such a way as to have automatic switching between stored power and grid which, combined with the roofing costs, would more than likely push the cost back up to circa 6k. Given the most I could theoretically get back (assuming full use of the stored power) would be 4K I am still running at a substantial loss.

    Another issue is that, given the amount of batteries & additional electrics, I would imagine that insurance companies would be interested in knowing this had been fitted. Knowing most insurance companies,even if the risk is negligible, that knowledge comes with an additional premium (just look at how much and for how long motor insurers charged people additional premiums for fitting safer snow tires during the winter because they were "non standard").

    I and I am quite sure a lot of others would love to adopt more ecologically friendly technology but cost atm is prohibitive.

  4. #4774
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    7,651
    Likes (Given)
    720
    Likes (Received)
    3302
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    ... I am quite sure a lot of others would love to adopt more ecologically friendly technology but cost atm is prohibitive.
    Agreed. We need a government led initiative to encourage the move. The long-run cost of burning fossil energy is unaffordable by any definition, economic or social. The longer we leave it the higher the cost becomes. Today's cheap fuel is tomorrow's bill for the next generation. So much that could be done for so little and still we have people arguing about the basic science.

  5. #4775
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Belper
    Posts
    2,631
    Likes (Given)
    1885
    Likes (Received)
    1432
    An interesting analysis by Polly Toynbee in the Grauniad:

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ise-opposition
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

  6. #4776
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    7,651
    Likes (Given)
    720
    Likes (Received)
    3302
    HMRC rang yesterday. The woman corrected us about might be leaving - we are leaving. After that the call was not all that well received and to be fair she didn't know shit about import/export. The magic EORI number seems to be the backbone of the bullshit. Getting one is about 15 seconds work and when you have it it makes no real difference to anything much. Then you need either to buy a zillion quid's worth of specialist software or use a forwarding agent. We have nearly run out of some stuff that comes from Sweden and reordered. It will arrive in early November so if we have left (doubtful) all will be revealed.

    Our mission critical product for one company is a chemical that comes from France. We buy a pallet then split it down to the individual 20L containers. The manufacturer will only sell in pallet quantities and there is only us in the UK AFAIK that sells the individual drums. Our small business customers need one or two drums at most and cannot afford to buy the pallet, nor use it all inside the shelf life. It's a small niche market and we sit in it. After we leave we must go through the REACH declaration. Or maybe not. No one seems to know what the volume level for the new UK REACH will be. HSE will do UK REACH. Their website still shows that REACH for small importers will start 180 days after we leave. Presumably because their software in non existent at this time.

    The current REACH system is run by ECHA and their software and training is about ten grand from memory. We stopped bringing in the South African products as it is too much hassle to comply. No details on the HSE costs at this stage.

    So this poor unfortunate woman - presumably a call centre contractor - has to get her ear bent about things she knows nothing about. Are you ready? I don't know dear - what is happening? Look at the website. Yeah I have.

    This is what your tax is spent on.

  7. #4777
    Established TDF Member jamesp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wrexham
    Posts
    4,462
    Likes (Given)
    2459
    Likes (Received)
    1580
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    HMRC rang yesterday. The woman corrected us about might be leaving - we are leaving. After that the call was not all that well received and to be fair she didn't know shit about import/export. The magic EORI number seems to be the backbone of the bullshit. Getting one is about 15 seconds work and when you have it it makes no real difference to anything much. Then you need either to buy a zillion quid's worth of specialist software or use a forwarding agent. We have nearly run out of some stuff that comes from Sweden and reordered. It will arrive in early November so if we have left (doubtful) all will be revealed.

    Our mission critical product for one company is a chemical that comes from France. We buy a pallet then split it down to the individual 20L containers. The manufacturer will only sell in pallet quantities and there is only us in the UK AFAIK that sells the individual drums. Our small business customers need one or two drums at most and cannot afford to buy the pallet, nor use it all inside the shelf life. It's a small niche market and we sit in it. After we leave we must go through the REACH declaration. Or maybe not. No one seems to know what the volume level for the new UK REACH will be. HSE will do UK REACH. Their website still shows that REACH for small importers will start 180 days after we leave. Presumably because their software in non existent at this time.

    The current REACH system is run by ECHA and their software and training is about ten grand from memory. We stopped bringing in the South African products as it is too much hassle to comply. No details on the HSE costs at this stage.

    So this poor unfortunate woman - presumably a call centre contractor - has to get her ear bent about things she knows nothing about. Are you ready? I don't know dear - what is happening? Look at the website. Yeah I have.

    This is what your tax is spent on.
    Just tried registering for a "Brexit is coming" event next Monday; you have to set up an account, with password.


    "Fu**borris", gets you locked out of the site.

  8. #4778
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Too far from the sea!
    Posts
    9,184
    Likes (Given)
    2550
    Likes (Received)
    5362
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Just tried registering for a "Brexit is coming" event next Monday; you have to set up an account, with password.


    "Fu**borris", gets you locked out of the site.
    "This password is already in use. May we suggest Fu**borris 66870011."
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

  9. #4779
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    113
    Likes (Given)
    137
    Likes (Received)
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Just tried registering for a "Brexit is coming" event next Monday; you have to set up an account, with password.


    "Fu**borris", gets you locked out of the site.

    Yep, spotted that one myself and decided they had all the information on the company they need so they could just send us a login, yes.... Decided that after having spoken on the phone to 3 members of the Department for International Trade over the last 18 months (and having explained how import and export works to them) I probably would only get annoyed so won't bother attending.....

  10. #4780
    I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    573
    Likes (Given)
    275
    Likes (Received)
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    I don't know. That's my point. It's easy to make rhetorical statements like this, but it would be helpful to see what the scale of the problem is, what the contributors are, and what difference things like this would actually make
    Trying to answer my own question....

    https://www.drawdown.org/


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •