Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 625 of 629 FirstFirst ... 125525575615623624625626627 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,250 of 6289
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I also use Nord VPN. The only problem is that some UK websites can't be accessed when using it, even when routed via a UK server. Have to temporarily suspend it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    In that case I would recommend using a VPN - it stops you being snooped on by everyone - including your ISP - as there is encryption from your computer / tablet / phone through to the server. Personally I use Nord VPN but there are heaps out there and they will all give a decent level of protection against being hacked so the personal data you have to use is far more secure. It doesn’t cost lots either and gets you round the issues associated with open wifi.

Additionally, if you want to watch a programme that is on Netflix in the US but not on the Netflix UK you can switch your “location” to America and watch the programme - I suppose I should say program as it is from America. When I was in Turkey I couldn’t get on a website - I can’t remember which one but it was innocuous - but then once I flicked the VPN from Turkey to somewhere else I could.

If you are buying plane tickets, say from London to Madrid, then it can be significantly cheaper to buy the same ticket whilst pretending to be in India than the UK.
    Public VPN providers such as Nord can only encrypt the data sent between your computer and their VPN server. Traffic sent from their network to the end destination (eg the website your browsing or dB your transferring data to) will be unencrypted.

So yep, it will curtail any prying eyes in private networks, open wifis, edge proxy servers etc, but it doesn't protect things at the other end.

Setting up your own VPN used to be a bit I a black art (enough for me to make a fairly good living out of it 20 years ago(, but nowadays, it's fairly straightforward, most broadband routes have in built support, and many support Open VPN which is fairly simple to set up.

Benefit being, you then have a secure tunnel right the way in to your own network, data can be protected all the way (if that's where the data source exists).
    Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 26-06-2021 at 12:32 PM.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    News this morning was championing the news that Nissan are investing in Sunderland, the Chinese company that is building the battery plant, will provide enough batteries for 100,000 cars a year.

This is fantastic news that shows all remainers as clueless about the benefits of brexit.

Unfortunately, I remember that Sunderland peaked at 10,000 cars a week, and built nearly half a million a year: just wondering what they are going to do for the other nine months of the year, or how many people they don`t need any more.

Ellesmere Port was down to barely two shifts, and was knocking out over 200,000 cars a year.

Brexit, really helps to be innumerate and have a short memory; success appears to depend upon it.
    Awaiting more news from our glorious leader and the ministry of truth.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just had this missive from KK:

Are you ready to use the UKCA marking?
    Now we’ve left the EU, our new domestic goods regulation regime is in place. If you previously used the CE marking to sell certain products in Great Britain, you need to take action before 1 January 2022. The new rules include important changes to the way these products need to be labelled.
    You should check what you need to do on the ‘Using the UKCA marking’ guidance page at the earliest opportunity.
    At the beginning of this year, we introduced the UKCA marking for selling goods in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales). There are now only six months to go until you must use the UKCA marking for most goods being sold in Great Britain that currently use the CE marking. For your products to continue being sold in Great Britain from 1 January 2022, it is essential you make sure your products comply with the UKCA marking as soon as possible.
    If your business manufactures, imports or distributes goods which require testing by a conformity assessment body, start the testing process early to ensure you will be ready on time.
    Special rules apply for medical devices, rail interoperability constituents, marine equipment and other goods. These are set out on the ‘Placing manufactured goods on the market’ guidance page.
    The CE marking continues to apply to goods sold in Northern Ireland. These may need to be accompanied by the new UKNI marking in certain circumstances.
    My team will be running a webinar on 20 July to help you understand how to comply with our new goods regime, you can sign up now.
    I want to thank you for everything you are doing to continue to adapt for selling goods across the UK. Your efforts and ambition ensure that we can continue to trade smoothly and seize new opportunities now that we have left the EU.
    Yours sincerely,
    Rt Hon Kwasi Kwarteng MP
    Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy

• Check whether your goods require the CE marking or CE + UKNI markings for Northern Ireland.
    • Start getting your product assessed by a UK approved conformity assessment body as soon as possible if required, to ensure this can be completed by 1 January 2022.
    • You can find a conformity assessment body, through the UKMCAB database.
    Starting the conformity assessment process early to acquire the UKCA marking will ensure a smooth end to the year, when the UK will stop recognising the CE marking for most goods on the GB market.
    Separate rules apply in Northern Ireland. You should continue to apply the CE marking for your goods, and you should check your legal responsibilities if you are bringing goods into Northern Ireland from Great Britain.
    If you are placing goods on the market in Northern Ireland and are using a UK conformity assessment body to carry out mandatory testing on your product, then you will need to accompany the CE marking with a new UKNI marking. You can find further guidance on when to use the UKNI marking here.
    Scotland: 0300 303 0660
    Wales: 0300 060 3000
    Northern Ireland: 0800 181 4422

That bonfire of regulation seems to be going well, certainly a good stock pile of fuel building up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you add the two posts together you can see that the new battery plant will make UKCA batteries for the UK domestic car market. CE marked batteries for the EU market will be made there.

Anyway it doesn't matter as there is always the financial services market. Oh, what? Sunak has given up on equivalence rules? But, but, but.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Good news! AP are creating a few new jobs...

...in Europe... D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When will we see the end of the 'benefits' of Tony Blair's governmemnt?

Firstly the UK leaving the EU (if he hadn't pissed off old codgers* etc with not putting the New 8 countries immigration controls in place like the rest of the old 20 did I very much doubt Brexit would have happened).

Now we see the many benefits of his governments starting the break-up of the UK by giving them their own parliments and governments - 4 'countries' (?) all with different health / covid stances; see the Beeb report on the students who have their vaccinations, one in England & the second in Scotland.

At least Gordon Brown stopped him from joining the UK into currency scheme (Euro).

*I'd classify myself as an Old Codger, but I've worked in Europe so I've seen the best which far outweighs the worst!
    Last edited by F.P.; 23-07-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by F.P. View Post
    Firstly the UK leaving the EU (if he hadn't pissed off old codgers* etc with not putting the New 8 countries immigration controls in place like the rest of the old 20 did I very much doubt Brexit would have happened).
    There is a lot of debate about the A8 and whether the arrival of the "flocks" (copyright Mrs Duffy) of East Europeans drove the popular racist vote for Brexit. The big question in my mind is whether Blair had not allowed the early FoM for the A8 the resultant arrival of people later on would have had the same effect and if so would that simply have delayed the reaction?

Personally I think the ability of Farage to conflate the Syrian refugees with the EU in people's minds was a bigger factor. (You are welcome to blame Mr Blair for a portion of the Syrian conflict, you will get no disagreement from me).

If the Syrian refugees had been at a different point in time then this would have been much harder for Farage to lie and to invent a bullshit narrative. Probably the general disinterest in the EU and apathy towards our membership of it would have endured. I honestly don't really think very many people actually gave a monkey's until their heads were filled with shit by the loony kippers and their rich disaster capitalist friends and media baron bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by F.P. View Post
    ...At least Gordon Brown stopped him from joining the UK into currency scheme (Euro).
    If only the right wing press stopped its lies about the Euro we would have joined and a jolly good thing it would have been. Mrs Thatcher wanted to join and put us on a parity with the ERM but the country's finances were not robust enough and her (and Tories generally) halfwitted over-inflated view of the country and English exceptionalism meant we over estimated the value of our currency. As a result the idiots lost billions to Soros. She, like all Tory PMs had to deal with the criminally insane, hate filled nutters that make up a lot of the back benches of the Tories and a significant percentage of the actual party membership.

If only we were not all about to die from climate change we could look forward to the death of the racist geriatrics that prop up the Tory party and much better, more democratic governance in 20 years time or so.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I knew this thread would never die.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I knew this thread would never die.
    Sadly, Brexit will never be "done".