Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 608 of 618 FirstFirst ... 108508558598606607608609610 ... LastLast
Results 6,071 to 6,080 of 6172
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    Of course, ignoring the brexit angle, the MPA will only be effective if it is adequately monitored and policed. How many fisheries protection vessels do we have? 3 Marine protection vessels operating north of the border with 4 south of the border (Overseas Patrol Squadron) plus some aircraft cover covering 500+ UK fishing boats and approx 300,000 square miles to cover.
    St Aidan, the new £700,000 vessel belonging to the Northumberland Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (NIFCA) (Launched in 2015) seems to spend more time in the Royal Quays marina at North Shields than it ever does on the water. That was before the Covid shit, when I used to spend a fair bit of time in and out of said marina.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    How sad and you seemed to be getting on so well!
    I'm waiting for the big reveal that their argument is a Y-D-esque wind up conceived over a pint three years ago.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManualOverride View Post
    I'm waiting for the big reveal that their argument is a Y-D-esque wind up conceived over a pint three years ago.
    Think you need to go help steelemonkey with his flying pigs problem
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Amazing. Inundated with requests for the last 18 months, for an import export policy that was finalised and introduced 27 days ago.

If anyone finds out where they source their crystal balls from, please let me know!

Not to say that there aren't issues afoot, but the misreporting and misrepresentation is laughable.

My friend who runs a business communications company started this process in 2017. Another friend who runs a household brand processed fish company also started this process in 2017

The first person who subsequently did the math realized he'd go bust and sold his business to a European competitor in 2019 shutting down UK operations and laying off all staff. The other person has relocated his fish processing plant to the EU resulting in shutting down his UK operation and laying off all staff.

So in short, your answer does not make any sense? I am no genius but I predicted this about 24hours after the Brexit result. I am sure many EU dependent companies realized the same.

There never was a deal to be had. Anyone with any business sense knew this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post
    My friend who runs a business communications company started this process in 2017. Another friend who runs a household brand processed fish company also started this process in 2017

The first person who subsequently did the math realized he'd go bust and sold his business to a European competitor in 2019 shutting down UK operations and laying off all staff. The other person has relocated his fish processing plant to the EU resulting in shutting down his UK operation and laying off all staff.

So in short, your answer does not make any sense? I am no genius but I predicted this about 24hours after the Brexit result. I am sure many EU dependent companies realized the same.

There never was a deal to be had. Anyone with any business sense knew this.
    You're a bit late to the party Mark, the public burning at the stake happened last week some time, pitch forks are now back in the workshop being sharpened in readiness for the next heretic.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    "The environment secretary, George Eustice, said: “Now that we have left the common fisheries policy, we are able to deliver on our commitment to achieve a healthy, thriving and sustainable marine environment.....
    Chris Thorne, an oceans campaigner at Greenpeace UK, welcomed the news but said the four MPAs were the “tip of the iceberg” and urged the government to go ....... four protected areas, then it’s good news,” he said."

I still find it hard to believe that in a discussion about Brexit (of all things!) that anyone - anyone at all - can take seriously promises like this from a member of a government packed full of people with solid reputations for lying, and with a background that is far from environment-friendly. Greenpeace should know better too but I suppose they want to hear what they're hearing. How many promises have been made, but how many kept? Talk is cheap. Taking anything this lot say at face value is a best misguided, and at worst, downright stupid.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    I still find it hard to believe that in a discussion about Brexit (of all things!) that anyone - anyone at all - can take seriously promises like this from a member of a government packed full of people with solid reputations for lying, ....
    Spreadsheet Phil spreads the dirt.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...llor-interview
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    "The environment secretary, George Eustice, said: “Now that we have left the common fisheries policy, we are able to deliver on our commitment to achieve a healthy, thriving and sustainable marine environment.....
    Chris Thorne, an oceans campaigner at Greenpeace UK, welcomed the news but said the four MPAs were the “tip of the iceberg” and urged the government to go ....... four protected areas, then it’s good news,” he said."

I still find it hard to believe that in a discussion about Brexit (of all things!) that anyone - anyone at all - can take seriously promises like this from a member of a government packed full of people with solid reputations for lying, and with a background that is far from environment-friendly. Greenpeace should know better too but I suppose they want to hear what they're hearing. How many promises have been made, but how many kept? Talk is cheap. Taking anything this lot say at face value is a best misguided, and at worst, downright stupid.
    Agreed, the government statement should be taken with a mountain of salt, its the green peace one that got my attention.

We'll just have to wait and see, as you say, talk is cheap, any old grumpy git can make shit up, its actions, what actually happens, that matters.
    Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 05-02-2021 at 10:49 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Oops - in wrong thread...

So excited!
    Last edited by F.P.; 05-02-2021 at 12:46 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Agreed, the government statement should be taken with a mountain of salt, its the green peace one that got my attention.

We'll just have to wait and see, as you say, talk is cheap, any old grumpy git can make shit up, its actions, what actually happens, that matters.
    We didn't need to wait long before the government demonstrated its commitment to the environment: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55668507

Sometimes, you don't have to wait and see. If there's no evidence to support the claim and a track record of doing the opposite, you can extrapolate and make a judgement call. Or you can wait, and then wring your hands and say "I can't believe they lied... again! If only I had known..." and similar remarks, as you sit in the entirely predictable mess.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.