Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 607 of 618 FirstFirst ... 107507557597605606607608609617 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,070 of 6172
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Seriously, a quote from the article you posted stating that Chris Thorne from Greenpeace said the Government used powers from Brexit to make the changes, ...
    What powers from Brexit? Seriously? It is not an empowerment. The point of it was to leave the EU and as such remove any supra-national governance from the UK. So he is talking as much bollocks as you are. In order to impose a marine protection zone the government needs to impose a marine protection zone. Since such zone existed prior to our departure that is an objective fact that EU membership does not preclude such creation.

..I have ever said that anything about Brexit is fantastic. It has, and continues to be, an utter pile of crap.
    Well at least we agree on that. I am mystified why you try to find good from it but we have at last a start point.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManualOverride View Post

On a work related note I have to figure out how to get some quite expensive equipment from Germany and Italy back to the UK so it can be repaired, and then send it back to the customer without getting stung for the VAT/Duty in both directions.
    Reminds me of an issue I had back in the late 70's when I was managing the S/W support department for my company in the New Zealand subsidiary. The company had just brought out a new range of big mainframe computers and the International Division had sold it's first four. The spares division said that because of the high cost of spares inventory, full spares kits were allocated on the basis of one per four systems so International Division were allocated one. However, the systems were located in Johannesburg, Perth, Hong Kong and Auckland! I pointed out to the Spares Division inventory manager (I was visiting the UK at the time so was acting as go-between with NZ because of the time difference) that there were only rwo flights a week between Hong Kong and Auckland, which was the only one of the other three locations with direct links and that eachtime the spares kit came into New Zealand, we would have to pay 40% import duty which was non-refundable on export.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    More procrastinations and dishonesty.............

I am mystified why you try to find good from it
    And there you have it. That's the single statement that outlines why you and I will always be at loggerheads, we are so far apart on our basic approach to life, we will never agree.

You are incapable of accepting anything beyond your own negative perspective, quite content to ignore or deride anything that challenges that view; I am incapable of not looking for the positives in things, more than happy to hear other peoples views, even if/when it means admitting that my own may have been wrong.

So, no, not a starting point. Probably quite the opposite, shows that you really are an utter waste of time, space and energy.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Interesting view from something other than the Brexit Broadcasting Company.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...areas-proposed

"A number of NGOs, including WWF and the Marine Conservation Society, have accused the UK, the Netherlands and Germany of breaching the EU habitats directive by failing to protect Dogger Bank from bottom-impact fishing, while the Blue Marine Foundation mounted a legal challenge to what it claimed was illegal fishing in the area."

So the UK breaching an EU directive designed to protect the environment? Pleased to see the WWF putting my money to good use.
    Of course, ignoring the brexit angle, the MPA will only be effective if it is adequately monitored and policed. How many fisheries protection vessels do we have? 3 Marine protection vessels operating north of the border with 4 south of the border (Overseas Patrol Squadron) plus some aircraft cover covering 500+ UK fishing boats and approx 300,000 square miles to cover.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So, no, not a starting point. Probably quite the opposite, shows that you really are an utter waste of time, space and energy.
    Well at least you are showing what a spoilt little child you are. Thank you for your input.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    Of course, ignoring the brexit angle, the MPA will only be effective if it is adequately monitored and policed. How many fisheries protection vessels do we have? 3 Marine protection vessels operating north of the border with 4 south of the border (Overseas Patrol Squadron) plus some aircraft cover covering 500+ UK fishing boats and approx 300,000 square miles to cover.
    Which came first chicken or egg? But I guess in this case you'd first have to have something to protect - so MPA legislation is the first step in protection

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    And there you have it. That's the single statement that outlines why you and I will always be at loggerheads, we are so far apart on our basic approach to life, we will never agree.

You are incapable of accepting anything beyond your own negative perspective, quite content to ignore or deride anything that challenges that view; I am incapable of not looking for the positives in things, more than happy to hear other peoples views, even if/when it means admitting that my own may have been wrong.

How sad and you seemed to be getting on so well!
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Which came first chicken or egg? But I guess in this case you'd first have to have something to protect - so MPA legislation is the first step in protection
    I'd guess it will also depend on the risk/penalties if you're caught. If it's a small fine and a slap on the wrist, then probably not too much of a deterrent, if it's have your boat and equipment impounded (or scuttled/blown out of the water altogether, as some nations have been known to do ), then perhaps a bit more likely to be adhered to
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd guess it will also depend on the risk/penalties if you're caught. If it's a small fine and a slap on the wrist, then probably not too much of a deterrent, if it's have your boat and equipment impounded (or scuttled/blown out of the water altogether, as some nations have been known to do ), then perhaps a bit more likely to be adhered to
    Scuttling - that would be a good idea - more wrecks to dive!
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Scuttling - that would be a good idea - more wrecks to dive!
    With more fish on the wrecks