Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 606 of 618 FirstFirst ... 106506556596604605606607608616 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,060 of 6172
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Interesting view from something other than the Brexit Broadcasting Company.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...areas-proposed

"A number of NGOs, including WWF and the Marine Conservation Society, have accused the UK, the Netherlands and Germany of breaching the EU habitats directive by failing to protect Dogger Bank from bottom-impact fishing, while the Blue Marine Foundation mounted a legal challenge to what it claimed was illegal fishing in the area."

So the UK breaching an EU directive designed to protect the environment? Pleased to see the WWF putting my money to good use.
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    I am sure if Chris was ever wrong he would admit it.

Graham
    Just one week later....

Still quite so sure?
    Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 04-02-2021 at 08:28 AM.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Interesting view from something other than the Brexit Broadcasting Company.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...areas-proposed

"A number of NGOs, including WWF and the Marine Conservation Society, have accused the UK, the Netherlands and Germany of breaching the EU habitats directive by failing to protect Dogger Bank from bottom-impact fishing, while the Blue Marine Foundation mounted a legal challenge to what it claimed was illegal fishing in the area."

So the UK breaching an EU directive designed to protect the environment? Pleased to see the WWF putting my money to good use.
    Just love the way you conveniently snip around anything that doesn't back up your position.

From the same article....

The environment secretary, George Eustice, said: “Now that we have left the common fisheries policy, we are able to deliver on our commitment to achieve a healthy, thriving and sustainable marine environment.
    Chris Thorne, an oceans campaigner at Greenpeace UK, welcomed the news but said the four MPAs were the “tip of the iceberg” and urged the government to go ....... four protected areas, then it’s good news,” he said.

It showed the government was prepared to use its new Brexit powers to properly protect our seas, he said, and called for all MPAs to be properly protected.
    So even Greenpeace seem to recognise that the restrictions are only possible now that we have left the EU.

Could it possibly be that the EU Habitats Directive conflicts with the EU CFP, that enforcing the EU Habitats Directive on foreign (EU member state) vessels whilst we were in the EU was potential problematic?

https://www.law.ed.ac.uk/sites/defau...d%20Brexit.pdf

If you put aside your predisposition, that all things Brexit must be bad, all things EU must be fluffy and wonderful, you will hopefully recognise that Brexit does actually provide an opportunity for the UK to manage conservation of it's waters more effectively.

Whether we take advantage of that opportunity remains to be seen, although I have more faith in that happening then I do in you having the ability to be open minded enough to admit it as a possibility.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    An opportunity for Australian wine producers at least, who having been hit with a 200% increase in import duty to China, are now seeing EU wines get more expensive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55929414

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Microphone update... given the *gestures broadly at everything* I thought it was probably best not to travel 50 miles to a "local" shop who have it in stock, so I ordered it from the manufacturer who has a UK website...
    Today I got a mail confirming the order and informing me that as the item was being sent from Germany there may be duty and handling charges collected on delivery.
    Order cancelled and I'm giving up and sticking to my old setup for now.

On a work related note I have to figure out how to get some quite expensive equipment from Germany and Italy back to the UK so it can be repaired, and then send it back to the customer without getting stung for the VAT/Duty in both directions.
    If something cannot be economically repaired do i still have to post it back to them or can I recycle it in the UK?

All these fun questions... I'm so glad we did this, really keeps the mind active.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManualOverride View Post
    Microphone update... given the *gestures broadly at everything* I thought it was probably best not to travel 50 miles to a "local" shop who have it in stock, so I ordered it from the manufacturer who has a UK website...
    Today I got a mail confirming the order and informing me that as the item was being sent from Germany there may be duty and handling charges collected on delivery.
    Order cancelled and I'm giving up and sticking to my old setup for now.

On a work related note I have to figure out how to get some quite expensive equipment from Germany and Italy back to the UK so it can be repaired, and then send it back to the customer without getting stung for the VAT/Duty in both directions.
    If something cannot be economically repaired do i still have to post it back to them or can I recycle it in the UK?

All these fun questions... I'm so glad we did this, really keeps the mind active.
    One of my materials suppliers sent a note out in December, that in the event of a "no deal" there would be a 7% across the board price hike (on top of the 7% when we started transition).

Had a letter yesterday with their latest price hikes; across 13 products, 2 are 6%, 1@7%, 2@8%,6@10% and 1@15%.

My regular purchases are 10, 7 and 8.

Just waiting for the PTFE prices now......

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Just love the way you conveniently snip around anything that doesn't back up your position.

....So even Greenpeace seem to recognise that the restrictions are only possible now that we have left the EU.....
    Yeah. I love the way you make stuff up that isn't there to back up your prejudices. Greenpeace welcomed the news. They did not back up the assertion by George Eustace that the changes were not possible. That is because they were and Eustace is making up nonsense so idiots think something good has come of the Brexit. It looks like there are plenty willing to fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Whether we take advantage of that opportunity remains to be seen, although I have more faith in that happening then I do in you having the ability to be open minded enough to admit it as a possibility.
    There is no opportunity so it is not unrealistic to be somewhat cynical about taking advantage of it don't you think?

I would welcome any strengthening of the piss poor bullshit nonsense that is the UK marine conservation greenwash. You will almost certainly have to wait for a change of government for that to happen but as with so much of this I really do want to be wrong about that.
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the first time in my living memory every political party in Northern Ireland are standing together calling the current situation impossible.

or

Someone selling cameras out of their bedroom office says its fantastic.

just saying...........
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Yeah. I love the way you make stuff up that isn't there to back up your prejudices. Greenpeace welcomed the news. They did not back up the assertion by George Eustace that the changes were not possible. That is because they were and Eustace is making up nonsense so idiots think something good has come of the Brexit. It looks like there are plenty willing to fall for it.
    Seriously, a quote from the article you posted stating that Chris Thorne from Greenpeace said the Government used powers from Brexit to make the changes, and an article the Journal of Environmental Law, explaining why CFP vs EU is problematic, and you accuse me of making shit up?

Ah well, proven wrong twice now in less than a week. Bet you won't admit it this time either... (anyone seen Graham, he's been very quiet?!?)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Evans View Post
    Someone selling cameras out of their bedroom office says its fantastic.

just saying...........
    Assuming that the side swipe was aimed at me; find me one time, any time, I have ever said that anything about Brexit is fantastic. It has, and continues to be, an utter pile of crap.