Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 605 of 618 FirstFirst ... 105505555595603604605606607615 ... LastLast
Results 6,041 to 6,050 of 6172
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    No one much comes of of this looking good to be honest.
    Well I had high hopes for covid "sustainably trawling" the human population but it didn't seem to be quite fatal enough to give the environment a chance.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not missing something, just adding a nonsense that the EU prevented this. Par for the course.
    Par for the course? You mean false accusations from you? Yep, that's about right.

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Nothing implemented yet, the consultation is just going out.

I have no idea whether previous EU membership would have prevented this being implemented
    Quote from the article :

The decision couldn’t have been made if the UK was still in the EU, and it was condemned by the National Federation of Fishermen's Organisations (NFFO).
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is no decision, it's just going out for consultation.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Quote from the article :
    The decision couldn’t have been made if the UK was still in the EU
    Unfortunately I do not have the contact number for the journalist, but as ever anything published or on the Internet is absolutely correct and has been substantially checked by a panel of experts. Clearly the earth is flat, the moon is made of cheese and everything wrong with the world is the fault of the EU. Or was it Jeremy Corbyn? I have forgotten.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    There is no decision, it's just going out for consultation.
    Damn. So the quote that the decision could not have been made if we were in the EU is wrong? Shit. I must delete the last thing I posted. Bugger.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The CFP is a long and difficult thing to read and get your head round. However it is designed to protect fisheries and fish stocks. it is also an attempt to look after the marine ecosystem.

https://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/cfp/fishing_rules_en

It should encourage members to implement protection zones. However the whole thing has been somewhat ineffective largely due to immense political pressure to water down any protection and to up any quotas to pander to the fishing industry. Spain in particular has used heavy lobbying and political pressure to render the CFP as toothless as possible.

The UK has not stood up for the environment and has largely gone along with the pressure to reduce rather than strengthen the measures. Due to the obsession with Brexit a lot of people voted for UKIP as a party to represent them in the EP. The UK appointed a UKIP person, one N Farage, to represent fishing in the EP. Mostly he was too lazy to even turn up.

As James points out the UK is not noted for actual enforcement of the existing legislation and protection and unlikely to enforce any new regulations. The biggest problem by far is not the CFP or its shortcomings but the massive amount of illegal fishing that takes place in our waters and globally. The fishing industry is essentially a criminal cartel. The UK is not the core of the problem but there is still significant illegal fishing here. Globally it is huge https://www.seafish.org/responsible-...lated-fishing/

In the UK there are significant problems with high value fish, salmon and elvers are widely poached and caught without the proper licences. There is also a significant black market for high value fish like Sea Bass that are often caught by small unlicensed boats and sold cash to the catering trade. In the UK boats are licenced not people so you can gill net off a beach without a licence. You cannot set nets in a river (see https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...llegal-fishing)

As with species like Tuna as the commercial value grows the illegality increases. For ocean species like that the real issue is much of the world's oceans are unregulated, unpoliced and a free for all.

No one much comes of of this looking good to be honest.
    The CFP is an environmental disaster, to try and dress it up as anything else is cods wallop. Even now, despite the well advertised world wide decline in shark numbers, the EU are the largest exporter of shark fin in the world, and the EU fishing fleets continue to fish for shark without any quotas. Quotas and limits for Blue Fin tuna in the Mediterranean continue to encourage and support the tuna fishing farms, which in turn decimates the Atlantic stock (juveniles are targeted to increase quantity of fish to allowed weight ratio).

The EU made a commitment in 2013 to bring CFP quotas in line with scientific advice by 2020 at the latest. Think about that; 7 years to simply ensure that quotas and catch of fish where within the recommended scientific limits for sustainability.

And they still failed, have reset the deadline to sometime after 2021.
    Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 03-02-2021 at 02:59 PM.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    ... the EU fishing fleet ...
    Really? The EU has a fishing fleet? Is it based in Brussels? Where does it fish? Is Farage the skipper?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Really? The EU has a fishing fleet? Is it based in Brussels? Where does it fish? Is Farage the skipper?
    Wow, aren't you the eagle-eyed one, not bad for a man of your years

But yes, quite right, I did put that naughty little s in the wrong place. Humble apologies for any confusion caused, post amended, now correctly referring to, as a man so well versed on the EU and CFP as you would know, the EU fishing fleets

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Although with that said, perhaps in this case your petty pedantry is wrong (bet you don't admit it though)....

https://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/publi...s-figures-0_en

As published on the EU website, facts and figures for the EU Fishing Fleet

And a more recent article from the EU, just 6 days old no less, using the same term

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...ery_statistics
    Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 03-02-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Followed the link, the sub article about the cheese maker was more interesting;
    But not very well reported! "Truffles are round cheese"???

None of their problems should have been a surprise - vetinary certs have been a requirement for importing dairy products into the EU for years. Were not in the EU any more so not rocket science to work that bit out!

I'm still surprised daily by people getting indignant because they don't like being on the other end of legislation and think UK should be a special case.

The non-tariff barriers to trade will continue to be very damaging to our economy. Maybe we could one day have some sort of customs free agreement with the EU... oh yes, we didn't want that did we!
    Tea Boy