Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 604 of 618 FirstFirst ... 104504554594602603604605606614 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,040 of 6172
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    A number of other people have posted that they think the next few years will be a long slow attrition as EU countries take advantage of the UK being outside. It would appear that the first shots have been fired in that battle: https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/uk...072730803.html

When the Tories positioned us as competition the outcome was inevitable. Third country rules such as the bivalve exports were going to be applied and stuck to. Pretty much all of what is happening was to be expected. The added turd in the punchbowl of the pandemic has not helped of course. Fishing is pretty much irrelevant to anyone outside the industry and I am sure most divers and conservationists would like to see less rather than more fishing activity.

I await with interest how hard farming is going to be hit this year. Minford laid out the three big losers many years ago and little has changed. Our imminent entry into a FTA with two big sheep exporters will double down on the impact of sheep meat exports by leaving the customs union.

So deeply and profoundly sad that there are still people that are surprised by what is happening. But then look at the reaction to a pandemic and all the fruit loops that want to pretend it is a hoax and I guess it is not so hard to understand. We are a deeply flawed species. Some days I wonder if we will make it.
    Followed the link, the sub article about the cheese maker was more interesting; although the USA getting financial equivalence in preference to London was a bit of a "laugh".

As bj said, throw off the shackles of the eu, and we are free to trade with the world; as borris and his mates have never done anything other than organ grinding, they will be baffled that much of the world now has a play book that we have to work to, or fuck off.

Pity some of the ex-forces, union jack underpants and other brainless wankers like braun, can`t put in an appearance and explain how this is now an improvement.
    To them it probably is, as I doubt they have ever done anything in their lives other than hold their hand out and claim to be important.
    They can wallow in their pension funded alcoholic haze of pomposity, while expecting the actual revenue generators in the country to carry them.
    Here`s a message to the room temperature IQ brigade, suffer, or fuck off, we are all in it together remember; you want to put a hand in my pocket, expect to lose everything below the neck.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    New regulations on our local fishery were brought in this year after 10 years of discussion and evidence gathering which their representatives were present for. They were surprised and hurt to get the news.
    Like the Covid deniers, climate change deniers and other assorted nutters they just will not accept science as objective fact. The pdf I linked to shows the same pattern of behaviour repeated by the UK fishing industry even after the collapse of the Canadian fishery. The fishing industry claimed there were "more" fish than the science because their catches bore out their viewpoint. The political interference overrides the science and the politicians lack the balls to actually confront the destruction by what is actually a tiny handful of arseholes.

It is often said history repeats itself as tragedy then farce, but actually it repeats itself as capitalism. Short term corrupt capitalism.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    They can wallow in their pension funded alcoholic haze of pomposity, while expecting the actual revenue generators in the country to carry them.....
    I fear you are no longer popular at the Conservative club mate.

Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John63 View Post
    ...Is it wrong to feel no sympathy but instead allow a small feeling of satisfaction ?...
    Yes. It is completely wrong to allow schadenfreude to overcome empathy at any time. You shouldn't sink that low.

Personally, I sink further every time another Covid sceptic cops it, but then I'm a misanthropic arse who loves nothing better than reading that some high-profile-hate-preaching-Covid-denialist has died from Covid. It gives me a warm glow. (I do feel a tiny bit sorry for those who cop it who've chosen to listen to the the denialists but don't spread the message. But not very.)
    Happy to be a feminist SJ(K)W snowflake in a godless universe, no matter what some experts think. And Braun was a twat who's not missed. At all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    it is the Kubler-Ross change curve. When confronted with something that is difficult we (humans) tend to follow the same path in dealing with it.

https://www.cleverism.com/understand...-change-curve/

Denial is a powerful tool in resisting something that negatively impacts on your life. The understanding is really important for the fight against climate change. I think a lot of people are in the "experiment" stage of that particular issue, but there are still many that have not got past stage 2 - it is all volcanoes or a Chinese hoax or some other tosh. The "depression" stage is particularly dangerous as it also inhibits action.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Combine that with the following item (originally posted by Tim Digger) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55894608 -
    Great news for the marine environment.

So let me get this straight. The Conservative Party have just implemented restrictions to fishing, specifically to address conservation and environmental concerns, the restrictions weren't possible whilst we were in the EU and under the CFP?

Am I missing something?
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post

So let me get this straight. The Conservative Party have just implemented restrictions to fishing, specifically to address conservation and environmental concerns, the restrictions weren't possible whilst we were in the EU and under the CFP?

Am I missing something?
    Yes, the UK did not enforce the existing legislation.

Sound familiar?

Just have to wait and see if they enforce this more rigorously, or at all like previously.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Am I missing something?
    Not missing something, just adding a nonsense that the EU prevented this. Par for the course.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Am I missing something?
    Nothing implemented yet, the consultation is just going out.

I have no idea whether previous EU membership would have prevented this being implemented

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I have no idea whether previous EU membership would have prevented this being implemented
    The CFP is a long and difficult thing to read and get your head round. However it is designed to protect fisheries and fish stocks. it is also an attempt to look after the marine ecosystem.

https://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/cfp/fishing_rules_en

It should encourage members to implement protection zones. However the whole thing has been somewhat ineffective largely due to immense political pressure to water down any protection and to up any quotas to pander to the fishing industry. Spain in particular has used heavy lobbying and political pressure to render the CFP as toothless as possible.

The UK has not stood up for the environment and has largely gone along with the pressure to reduce rather than strengthen the measures. Due to the obsession with Brexit a lot of people voted for UKIP as a party to represent them in the EP. The UK appointed a UKIP person, one N Farage, to represent fishing in the EP. Mostly he was too lazy to even turn up.

As James points out the UK is not noted for actual enforcement of the existing legislation and protection and unlikely to enforce any new regulations. The biggest problem by far is not the CFP or its shortcomings but the massive amount of illegal fishing that takes place in our waters and globally. The fishing industry is essentially a criminal cartel. The UK is not the core of the problem but there is still significant illegal fishing here. Globally it is huge https://www.seafish.org/responsible-...lated-fishing/

In the UK there are significant problems with high value fish, salmon and elvers are widely poached and caught without the proper licences. There is also a significant black market for high value fish like Sea Bass that are often caught by small unlicensed boats and sold cash to the catering trade. In the UK boats are licenced not people so you can gill net off a beach without a licence. You cannot set nets in a river (see https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...llegal-fishing)

As with species like Tuna as the commercial value grows the illegality increases. For ocean species like that the real issue is much of the world's oceans are unregulated, unpoliced and a free for all.

No one much comes of of this looking good to be honest.